MBB: State University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by bamm, March 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caz Bombers

New Paltz knocks off Cortland, that makes 3 in a row and 7 of the last 9 for the Hawks. Keith Kenney for Coach of the Year?

Big win to have in their back pocket with Potsdam and especially Plattsburgh coming up this weekend.

magicman

Final scores of tonight's games.

New Paltz 67 Cortland 61

Brockport 88 Geneseo 67

magicman

New Paltz 67 Cortland 61

The Hawks led this game from start to finish except for one possession when the Red Dragons scored to go up 6-5. Tristan Wissemann buried a 3 pointer 15 seconds later to make it 8-6 and the Hawks seized control of this game shortly after. Up 17-16 with 8:22 left to play, New Paltz went on a 15-1 run over the next 3 minutes and 27 seconds, to extend their lead to 15 points. Cortland never got closer than 4 points the rest of the game and that came with 9 seconds left to play. The Hawks led by a dozen at the half, 39-27 and maintained an 8 to 12 point lead for the first 10 minutes of the 2nd period. Cortland chipped away and finally got it within 2 possessions at 46-40 with 9:50 to play, but every time they got with 5 or 6 points the Hawks had an answer and kept the Red Dragons from inching closer. The lead was 65-58 when Cortland got a hoop and harm with 9 seconds left in the game to make it 65-61. It was too little, too late. The immediately fouled on the inbounds and the Hawks Isaiah Bien-Aise made both free throws to close out the game.

Cortland didn't shoot well especially from 3 point range where they were only 4 for 20 (20%). By comparison the Hawks went 9x26 from deep (34.6%) and that's the main reason they came out on top. The Hawks also shared the ball well with 14 assists to 7 for Cortland. New Paltz had 44 rebounds to 32 for Cortland. The Red Dragons only had 11 turnovers to 14 for New Paltz. Cortland was missing 6'9"senior forward/center, Zach Lydon which didn't help their rebounding effort.

Tristan Wissemann had 19 points to lead the Hawks. He also had 6 rebounds and was 3x5 from long range.
Isaiah Bien-Aise had 18 points, 7 rebounds, 3 steals, a block and 1 assist. He was 3x4 from behind the arc.
Scott Reisert led the Hawks with 9 rebounds and added 6 points, 2 assists, 2 blocks and a steal.
Cory Garcia had a game high 7 assists, 9 points and 4 rebounds.
Paddy Parr had 8 rebounds, 4 points and 1 assist.

Justin Cooper was Cortland's main weapon tonight as he captured both scoring honors with 24 points and rebounding honors with 13 boards to complete his double-double. He was 10x14 from the field and 4x4 from the line. He added 2 steals, a block and a helper.
Nicky Bonura had 12 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, a steal and a block.
Brendan Fitzpatrick had 7 points, 6 rebounds, 3 steals, an assist and a block.

New Paltz took a giant step toward the SUNYAC playoffs with the win tonight. They could lose their final 2 games this weekend and still get the final playoff spot unless Oneonta wins their final 3 games.

The Hawks improve to 14-9 overall and 9-7 in the SUNYAC. They will host Potsdam on Friday and can sew up the 5th seed with a win and still have an outside chance at gaining the 4th seed and hosting a playoff game if everything falls just right for them. That's a long shot though.

Cortland drops to 16-7 overall and 10-6 in the YAC. They travel to Geneseo for a Friday night game but the 3rd seed will most likely come down to the winner of the Cortland-Brockport game in Brockport on Saturday afternoon.   

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

spwood

Interesting that Rochester jumped Plattsburgh in this week's rankings.  They beat a pair of 14-8 teams (Chicago and Washington U).  I'm still learning the intricacies of the basketball NCAA process.  What's the explanation for Rochester's jump over the Cardinals?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The biggest reason ... Results versus Regionally Ranked Opponents (vRRO). That data, which is in the primary criteria, isn't available in the first week since there are no Regional Rankings for it to be based on. Now there is vRRO data from Week 1. Thus ... that data set now becomes part of the conversation and Rochester has a significant advantage of Plattsburgh in that department (off the top of my head).

And it is results ... they don't just see a team has won more games, they look at what those results are and who they were against (high in the rankings, middle of the rankings, bottom, etc.).
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

magicman

Oneonta defeats Oswego by a final score 0f 70-55.   Thank you Red Dragons!    Go Brockport!

thebear

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 13, 2019, 04:16:13 PM
The biggest reason ... Results versus Regionally Ranked Opponents (vRRO). That data, which is in the primary criteria, isn't available in the first week since there are no Regional Rankings for it to be based on. Now there is vRRO data from Week 1. Thus ... that data set now becomes part of the conversation and Rochester has a significant advantage of Plattsburgh in that department (off the top of my head).

And it is results ... they don't just see a team has won more games, they look at what those results are and who they were against (high in the rankings, middle of the rankings, bottom, etc.).

Yes but University of Rochester has played most of their schedule against UAA teams out of region, 

Of their 8 games in region, 4 were at home, 3 road games in the Rochester area [5 or 6 miles]. 

Their true in region loss was to a middle of the pack Ithaca [13-10] team, 

They did not play Oswego which is 75 miles from Rochester, but did play Ithaca which is 91 miles. 

Really think that the UAA needs to be it's own region with an auto bid, and everyone else goes into Pool B.

"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: thebear on February 13, 2019, 08:02:40 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 13, 2019, 04:16:13 PM

Yes but University of Rochester has played most of their schedule against UAA teams out of region, 

Of their 8 games in region, 4 were at home, 3 road games in the Rochester area [5 or 6 miles]. 

Their true in region loss was to a middle of the pack Ithaca [13-10] team, 

They did not play Oswego which is 75 miles from Rochester, but did play Ithaca which is 91 miles. 

Really think that the UAA needs to be it's own region with an auto bid, and everyone else goes into Pool B.

Conference games count as in-region, even if the conference opponent is out of region.  Also, every d3 game counts as in-region, so long as 70% of a team's games are played against regional or conference opponents.  Almost every game counts these days.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

thebear

Exactly my point, not a level playing field, U of R games against opponents no one else in the region gets to play still count.

:-(
"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

AllStar

The tiebreakers are very fluid right now...a lot to be decided.

magicman

So when the first set of regional rankings is released Plattsburgh State is #2 in the East. Two days later they play the 7th ranked team in the region, 15-5 Cortland State and win that game. The next day they play the #1 team in the region 18-3 Oswego State and beat them. So when the next set of regional rankings is released, where are they ranked?.....#1 right?.....Nope #2.  Another team that was #3 jumped over them and went into the top spot. That team, Rochester, also won 2 games. They beat a 13-7 Chicago team that was ranked #8 in the Central region. Two days later they beat an unranked 14-7 Washington U team also from the Central region.   

So lets review this one more time. You are #2....you beat #7 and #1 on consecutive days and you don't move into the #1 spot. Instead #3 who beats a #8 and after a day off beats a team that's unranked, jumps the #2 team and gets the top spot. I wonder when was the last time that happened and where?  ???

I know all about the Results versus Regionally Ranked Opponents and I know about the SOS stuff but it just doesn't seem right when things like this occur. 

That's all I'm going to say about that. I'm not even going to say that I smell a....sniff...sniff....sniffff....rat. :o       

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: magicman on February 14, 2019, 03:22:49 AM
So when the first set of regional rankings is released Plattsburgh State is #2 in the East. Two days later they play the 7th ranked team in the region, 15-5 Cortland State and win that game. The next day they play the #1 team in the region 18-3 Oswego State and beat them. So when the next set of regional rankings is released, where are they ranked?.....#1 right?.....Nope #2.  Another team that was #3 jumped over them and went into the top spot. That team, Rochester, also won 2 games. They beat a 13-7 Chicago team that was ranked #8 in the Central region. Two days later they beat an unranked 14-7 Washington U team also from the Central region.   

So lets review this one more time. You are #2....you beat #7 and #1 on consecutive days and you don't move into the #1 spot. Instead #3 who beats a #8 and after a day off beats a team that's unranked, jumps the #2 team and gets the top spot. I wonder when was the last time that happened and where?  ???

I know all about the Results versus Regionally Ranked Opponents and I know about the SOS stuff but it just doesn't seem right when things like this occur. 

That's all I'm going to say about that. I'm not even going to say that I smell a....sniff...sniff....sniffff....rat. :o     

You're adding a whole extra criteria to the mix.  It's not really a comparable ranking to last week.  The resumes are quite similar, but it seems Rochester was ahead for them, because I think Plattsburgh would win the secondary criteria, if it had gotten that far.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

All-Time

Should be a very interesting weekend in the SUNYAC
It all comes down to the last weekend for a few teams.
Can the Red Dragons of Oneonta get it done tonight in Dewar Arena and knock off Magicman's Cardinals?
Just when we all thought Oswego was hands down the regular season champs they have hit a little bump in the road.
They have a tough one tonight against Brockport.
Potsdam against New Paltz, who would have ever thought these 2 teams would be in playoff contention a few years ago.
Those 2 coaches should win CO Coaches of the year.
The SUNYAC never disappoints.
Enjoy the MADNESS

LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

magicman

Feb. 15    The Last Weekend

Eight teams hitting the hardwood tonight. Seven of them with hopes of upward mobility. Lots of factors in play from the top seed to the last seed. Seven teams fighting for six spots. Who will be the odd man out? Who will host the final four? Who will host a first round playoff game. Some of those questions could be answered by 9:30 tonight. Others may have to wait until 6:00 PM tomorrow. So, here we go with some quick picks.

Cortland State  @  Geneseo State        7:30 PM

Geneseo only won 4 conference games this season but all 4 wins were at home and they beat 3 teams that could be playoff bound including Brockport. So it's no stretch to say that they could come up roses in this game. Especially the day after Valentine's Day. A win here would help make the season for this young team. Cortland needs to win if they have any desires to be the 3 seed as opposed to the 4th seed. I'm not sure if it matters. Also the possibility that New Paltz could slip ahead of these Red Dragons and get a home playoff game making Cortland hit the road for Round 1.

The oddsmakers have made Cortland a solid 10 point favorite in this one. They won the first matchup by 9 points back in early December. This one could be a little closer. Cortland 77 Geneseo 69. 

Oswego State  @  Brockport State        7:30 PM   Featured Game of the Night

Oswego needs to right a ship that's listing more than a little  in their last 4 games. The Lakers only have 5 losses all year but 3 of them have come in the past 13 days and they could lose their 3rd straight game tonight. They beat 4 of the other top teams in the YAC in their first go around but have lost to 3 of those teams on the flip side. Brockport is the remaining team and the Golden Eagles would also like to clinch a first round bye. A win here would do that. Oswego won at home by 10 points in early December and the Lakers are favored by 3 points in this one. I'm rooting for the Golden Eagles, hopeful that my Cardinals can possibly host the playoffs next weekend. Brockport 75 Oswego 72.       

Potsdam State  @  New Paltz State        7:30 PM

The Bears have come a long way this year and deserve to make the playoffs. The Hawks have come a long way this year and deserve to make the playoffs. I echo All-Time's post about co-COTY and can think of some good reasons why 5 coaches deserve Coach of the Year honors, this season, in the YAC, but Coach Bechtel and Coach Kenney are at the top of that list with the turnarounds the Bears and Hawks have made. I hate to see either of these teams miss out on the playoffs, but Oneonta won't go away quietly in the night.

The oddsmakers have made the Bears a slim 1 point road favorite in this one and I'm puzzled as to why. The Bears won at home by a 73-71 margin. That doesn't give me a lot of hope they can repeat on the road. The Bears are only 2-5 in road conference games although they did win one of those games at Cortland. The Hawks can clinch a playoff spot with a win, regardless of what happens elsewhere. Potsdam can't clinch because of the game they have with Oneonta tomorrow. They wouldn't mind a little help from the Cardinals tonight, though. If all three teams...New Paltz, Potsdam and Oneonta end up in a 3-way tie at 9-9, which is a distinct possibility, Oneonta is the loser because they would only be 1-3 against the other two teams. Potsdam would be 2-2 and New Paltz would be 2-2. Oneonta and New Paltz can both go 2-0 this weekend and both clinch. Potsdam can go 2-0 and clinch along with New Paltz. Got all that?...good. I think the Hawks win this one 73-70 but I sure hope I'm wrong about that.       

Plattsburgh State  @  Oneonta State    7:30 PM

The Cardinals still have hopes of hosting the final four of the SUNYAC Tournament. What didn't seem possible 2 weeks ago when they were 3 games and a tiebreaker (best road record) behind Oswego has now turned into a "down to the wire" contest. Plattsburgh has to win out and hope the Lakers suffer another loss. There will be quite a contingent in Plattsburgh rooting very hard for the Brockport Golden Eagles to help them out tonight against Oswego.

Oneonta needs to win out to secure a playoff game or hope that Potsdam loses both their games this weekend. The Red Dragons can take care of part of that 0-2 Bears weekend by beating Potsdam tomorrow but a win tonight will be a big step in the right direction.

Plattsburgh has won the last 8 games against the Red Dragons and is 10-1 in the last 5 and a half seasons. They won the earlier game in Plattsburgh 84-69. They are favored by 5 points in tonight's game. I think they win by a few more than that.   
Plattsburgh 85 Oneonta 76