FB: Middle Atlantic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordonmann

Don't be too hard on yourself, Simba. I thought the exact same thing before the game was played.

Lyco has a week off and then an enormous game against Widener. Those games are classics.

jmcozenlaw

Simba - I have no skin in this game but when the Warriors went up 28-14, there were actually some father's standing on the hill chuckling out loud about how horrific the Aggies defense was. From there, the Aggies outscored them 38-14 and I asked them what happened to Lyco's defense and they said in one million years they would have never expected that. Simba, you and I had better be much better at our day jobs than we are at predicting football games:

Why Lyco should win Sat?

1st.  Lyco has won 89% of its games when game time is other than 1pm on Sat!  Game time is NOON! - Simba, I didn't understand that one when you wrote it.....so let's move on :)

2nd. Lyco is ranked #7 in passing defense in the country @124yds.  DV is ranked #17 in passing offense @316yds.  NO WAY WILL DV PUT UP 300yds PASSING AGAINST THE WARRIORS!!!  Our defense Guru's Wiser and Weber will call the schemes and our secondary will step up to the challenge! - Simba, 380 passing yards against All-American Troutman and defensive guru's Weber and Wiser (or would that now be "less Wiser" now? :) )

3rd.  Lyco is ranked #15 in rushing defense @84yds.  DV is ranked #61 in rushing offense @202yds. I DON'T SEE DV GETTING OVER 100yds RUSHING LET ALONE 200 AGAINST THE WARRIORS!!! - Simba, this was the stunner of the game for me. The Aggies outrushed the Warriors, 231 yards to 85 yards, with only nine more carries. Smallwood rushed for 183 yards vs. the pre-season All-American (great kid, I've coached him) Needhammer and his 67 yards on 15 carries. I think that Smallwood should get some votes for first team All MAC running back. If you need a hammer.............call Smallwood (now come on, that was good :) )

4th.  Our well-balanced offense will do it's talking on the field!  The best way to describe it is "Show us how many are in the box and we will immediately counter it on the line of scrimmage like a fox!" - Simba, no comment as the fox had the keys ripped out if its hands and the hen house is safe :) )

5th. DV's DEFENSE IS GIVING UP OVER 400yds PER GAME!!!  If Lyco's offense limits its turnovers and scores in the Red Zone at least 80% of the time, it will be a no contest! - Simba, you are partially correct on this one. After the Aggies spotted the Warriors a 28-14 lead, the rest of the game, crunch time (38-14) was no contest :) )

So far DV is 4-0 by being able to outscore their opponents, and NOT playing any type of defense in doing so!  This week they'll be playing a team that has both a "D" & "O".  Also, that's without the consensus All-American, Troutman, being able to play the last 3 games at Safety!  We have depth and rotate and the Tradition of our program the past 40yrs mandates " Next one up, time to step up!" - Simba, I saw the Warriors "O"......but where was the "D"?? It was far worse than the Aggies!!.......but since you manned up and have a 5 lb. crow (although it should probably be a 100 lb. crow after these predictions, not just the score of a game, but prediction after prediction after prediction not even being close) I will give you your due. I also thought that Lyco would win and the stunned faces of the Lyco players after the game told the story. One player (one of the safeties) went up to his parents after the game, I got as close as possible without being obvious, and the ticked off dad asked what happened. The kid said that they believed that Bailey was the only receiving threat, that Smallwood is a much better running back than they believed and tough to bring down and that the Aggies offensive line was very solid. The father said that he never thought that the Warriors would be "out toughed".......the kid said "neither did I". I think that tells the story better than the numbers.

Simba..............back to our day jobs for me and you, especially you:)

jmcozenlaw

Wesleydad - I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the DVC vs. Lyco game? Were you as stunned as me, especially after that 28-14 Lyco lead?

kate

One fantastic game Aggies!!!  Huge congrats!  Also great was Gordon at the very end acknowledging Del Val's outstanding b'ball guard, Aggie Drodz, handling the camera for the video!  Outstanding job all the way around! 

wesleydad

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on October 11, 2014, 05:32:22 PM
Wesleydad - I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the DVC vs. Lyco game? Were you as stunned as me, especially after that 28-14 Lyco lead?

unfortunately, I did not get to go to the game.  But, I can say that I was surprised by the score when I saw it especially after it was 28 - 14.  It sounds like Del Val has it figured out on offense, I can say that I expected them to be this good on O last year.  The last game of the year with Widener looks like a good one.  Lyco can still have a say in that in a couple of weeks when they play Widener.

PBR...

A lot of Lyco chest thumping and trash talking this week...DVC fans kept quiet and knew what the outcome would be... Now we know who the better team is as it was settled on field. DVC is the better team and continues to roll on in the MAC. See ya next year Lyco. Oh and Turkey Day will be fantastic for me since my sister a Lyco grad went to the game today and is not a happy camper.

jmcozenlaw

wesleydad - You missed a great, crazy game.............a major upset if you listened to the Lyco parents. Question for you.............if you are an Aggie fan, do you want Lyco to beat Widener by a point in a few weeks, so that you can win the conference (if the Aggies go into the Widener game undefeated) by (1) beating Widener or (2) losing a close game to Widener and getting in by tie breaking point differential..............or................would you want Widener to beat Lyco to set up a possible undefeated, winner-take-all game with Widener on the final Saturday of the regular season? Interesting question.

Pat, Gordon, anyone else chime in if you have a thought.

From the D3 Scoreboard page, this really surprised me................."Rasheed Bailey caught nine passes for 195 yards and a touchdown and Chris Smallwood had 180 yards and a score on 25 carries as Delaware Valley scored 50-plus for the fourth consecutive game, defeating No. 20 Lycoming 52-42.

It's Lyco's first loss of the season, while Delaware Valley improved to 5-0.The Aggies held Craig Needhammer to 63 yards on the ground. The Warriors (5-1) had only given up 50 points all season entering the game. It's the most points Lycoming has given up since 1949."

That last sentence is a stunner. Lyco gave up more points today than in their first five games combined..............and the most since 1949??? I am speechless!!!

jmcozenlaw

PBR - One of the Lyco players after the game said just that............we need to keep our mouths shut and just play. He said that they felt embarrassed and learned a lesson about smack talk......maybe just in time for the Widener game. I will say that this was one of the classiest games that I have seen in a long time. No cheap shots, no fights, very little shoving and very little chirping.....which all ended as the Aggies got on a roll. There was a ton of respect on that field, due in part to classy coaching staffs and a ton of relationships from high school. The Warriors best receiver (Sibel) comes to DelVal a lot to watch his twin brother (you can't tell them apart) play on the basketball team. DelVal's Danny Wynne and Matt Smith were high school teammates of Craig Needhammer and on and on and on.......

See my previous post as to who an Aggie fan should want to win the Lyco vs. Widener game. I'd be interested in your take.

Also, if you are a hoops fan, you have to check out the Aggie's Men's Basketball team this year. Coach Stitzel brought in the mother load, including a transfer from Pepperdine. Yes, you read that right. They are going to be loaded. I can see the look on Scott Coval's (DeSales head coach) face when he sees this lineup :)

gordonmann

That fact about Del Val scoring the most of any Lyco opponent since the 1940s came from the Warriors SID Joe Guistina. Big props to him for that fact which probably no one else would have found quickly.

As for the Lyco chest thumping, I only saw Simba post during the week and he already copped to the bad prediction, which I personally agreed with. His prediction wasn't outlandish and it lightened up a dead chat room.

I thought there was no chance the Aggies would score that much. The success running the ball was the biggest surprise. Smallwood is a tough, tough runner and the line did a great job protecting Aaron and opening holes. I've come to expect excellence from Aaron Wilmer, though I still appreciate it every Saturday. And Bailey is playing at a level I've seen from very few receivers at this level.

All in all, a lot to enjoy for Aggies fans but they shouldn't get too far ahead of themselves. Still lots of football left. Del Val has to avoid a let down at improved Stevenson who is right by back in the hunt

gordonmann

Kate:

I enjoyed working with Agatha and got to share my corny nickname for her. She was very gracious about it. Just another reason why I love working with Del Val.

wesleydad

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on October 11, 2014, 05:56:55 PM
wesleydad - You missed a great, crazy game.............a major upset if you listened to the Lyco parents. Question for you.............if you are an Aggie fan, do you want Lyco to beat Widener by a point in a few weeks, so that you can win the conference (if the Aggies go into the Widener game undefeated) by (1) beating Widener or (2) losing a close game to Widener and getting in by tie breaking point differential..............or................would you want Widener to beat Lyco to set up a possible undefeated, winner-take-all game with Widener on the final Saturday of the regular season? Interesting question.

Pat, Gordon, anyone else chime in if you have a thought.

From the D3 Scoreboard page, this really surprised me................."Rasheed Bailey caught nine passes for 195 yards and a touchdown and Chris Smallwood had 180 yards and a score on 25 carries as Delaware Valley scored 50-plus for the fourth consecutive game, defeating No. 20 Lycoming 52-42.

It's Lyco's first loss of the season, while Delaware Valley improved to 5-0.The Aggies held Craig Needhammer to 63 yards on the ground. The Warriors (5-1) had only given up 50 points all season entering the game. It's the most points Lycoming has given up since 1949."

That last sentence is a stunner. Lyco gave up more points today than in their first five games combined..............and the most since 1949??? I am speechless!!!

jmcozenlaw, If you are looking to have 2 teams from the MAC make the tournament then you want the last game to be undefeated battle for the title with the loser likely getting into the tournament.  Winning the tie breaker by point differential is weak to me.  Not a fan of that as a deciding factor since each game is so different and sometimes they just get out of hand.  I will be at that game unless something comes up again.  I have not been to a game in 3 weeks which is the longest I have not been to a football game since my oldest son was 6 and he is 29 now.  That is what happens when you are house hunting.

D3MAFAN

I had a chance to watch a little of the second quarter and parts of  second half of the Delaware Valley vs. Lycoming. Delaware Valley offense is really high powered. Del Val made some key plays here and there to keep Lycoming from getting any closer than 3 and Del Val run game came through late to finish the game off. I still think both teams are pretty even. I am looking forward to each teams matchup against Widener, at least Lycoming has a couple weeks before that matchup. However, Delaware Valley has a good Stevenson team that will be coming off a bye. I would think that if there are two one-loss MAC teams, both would make the playoffs, however one of two may be head to Dover or Alliance.

bman

Obviously pretty dead on here, and was going to post a bit about my dissapointment of some of the teams that have been better in recent years, settling back down to average at best.  Once again, we seem to have a 3 team race (I'll mention the 4th in a moment) that get's settled at the end of the season...I do like the schedule that way, although I do miss the monkeywrenches that have been thrown by Kings, Albright, Leb Val, as they competed for the MAC Championship...not sure why they are having down years...perhaps some can opine to provide some clarity...

What I do find amazing, is some of the stats from the early part of the season...
For perspective I'll throw out the non conference games (but as most were against the NJAC, a fairly even conference) they don't really skew the number much...

Amazing Stat #1
Stevenson - Div record 3-1 ...but have only scored 50 points in those games...the saving grace...they have only given up 51...wow
To put this in perspective, Leb Val who is 1-4 has scored 109 and Wilkes at 2-2 has scored 142..
Putting this into perspective, I wonder if Stevenson will be competitive against Del Val, and will be more than a spoiler ta the end of the day...This is the 4th team I mention above...need a win against Del Val or Widener to make these defensive numbers more impressive.

Amazing Stat #2
Del Val - Div. record 4-0 Have scored 221 points in those 4 games (55 point average)...Yikes!  The down side they have given up 142 points in those games (35.5 points)...Del Val looks like they will roll unless the offense has a bad day or is out of synch... This looks strikingly familiar to Chip Kelly teams does it not?...perhaps there is a tie in somewhere...:)

Amazing Stat #3
Widener - Div record 4-0  in 4 games have given up 26 points (6.5 per game)...Given that on the other side of the ball they are scoring 40 points a game, on paper they look impressive.  What these stats lack though is a win (or at least a game) against Lyco, Del Val or Stevenson... All of WU's wins are against the bottom half of the Division.  The one caveat is that WU does have a win against a Quality opponent in Rowan, and the stats don't change much...In anycase, wins against the remaining top 3 are the only real stat that counts here...

Not so Amazing  Stat #1
Once again, there is a very clear striation in the division: 
The top tier are 15-2
The Mid tier   4-4
The Bottom Tier 3-16

Same old MAC...

Simba

bman...

Welcome back to the board!...Been trying to get some people back for three weeks now...Your opinion is spot on...I, last week, tried to put some statistical analysis out there to support mine but all I got this week is a big stomach ache from the now 3lb crow I've been eating which originally weighed 5lb!...

Hate loosing when you feel you have the better team but obviously that was not the case last Sat...Del-Val was the better team that day...Our defense put no pressure on Wilmer all day so he led a balanced 611yd, 52 point attack giving us our worst beat down since 1949!

HOWEVER...WE STILL HAVE 4 TO GO AND I KNOW THE WARRIORS WILL BE IN EACH OF THEM!

Yea, the same old MAC, but now with newer stadiums!...I loved your old one, especially at Homecoming when you had your open bar in the one end zone the entire game!!!...I had to have a lottery for seats in my "Magic Bus" every other year because of the great "Game Day" environment your end zone provided...everyone wanted to go...The best end zone seats in College Football!

Pride over Colonels
Mustangs over Aggies (let down away game)
Warriors watching on the web!

Simba

bman

Simba

Thanks!  Glad to see you back as well!
Admittedly I have been lurking all season.  I couldn't find anything wrong with your post ...(oh and I do try!  ;) )and so didn't add anything to it...it was a logical conclusion, given last year, and what we've seen this year.  My silence saved me from that meal of crow as well... 
I think we all (except for the Del Val faithful) underestimated their offense.  I was travelling on Saturday and couldn't get audio or video, but was monitoring the score.  I have to say I was shocked when I initially logged in and saw the score at 21-21 prior to half.  I had assumed that this was going to be a defensive battle.  I was dying to get some video...

I do also miss the old stadium at WU.  I understood their need  to get newer academic buildings on campus, and the limited space they had made it logical to use the space, but it removed a great venue... The new complex, which much nicer, is so far off campus, and offers so little in terms of a tailgate experience, it's hard to get folks back together...and while you can still watch the game from the North Ends Zone...there is definietly no bar to be found... :'(