FB: Middle Atlantic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kate

Congratulations to Albright - as for the rest of us we're looking ahead to 2014!

D3MAFAN

Quote from: kate on November 24, 2013, 09:07:56 AM
Congratulations to Albright - as for the rest of us we're looking ahead to 2014!

Indeed, I was very shock at how both Lebanon Valley and Delaware Valley played, especially Delaware Valley.

D3viewer

Any comments about Widener HC Bobby Acosta leaving after 1 season (6-4, 6-3) ? widener fans ?
To be TE's coach at Syracuse. I don't know what to think..lateral move ?.promotion ?.demotion ?

wally_wabash

Quote from: D3viewer on February 13, 2014, 07:35:53 PM
Any comments about Widener HC Bobby Acosta leaving after 1 season (6-4, 6-3) ? widener fans ?
To be TE's coach at Syracuse. I don't know what to think..lateral move ?.promotion ?.demotion ?

Depends on how you measure.  If you're talking about dollars, almost certainly a promotion.  Unless Syracuse is really not paying their assistants well at all. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

bill

I'd definitely say a promotion.

Although Widener traditionally pays the highest HFC spot in the MAC,  he's probably making $150-$175K at Syracuse, minimum. Not to mention he's in the BCS game now, and nowhere to go there but up.

I wish him the best of luck!
"To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day."

jknezek

It all depends on your point of view. If it's money, then it's a promotion. If its a chance to coach at big-time college football, it's a promotion. If it's a realistic chance to make a long-term mark on a program, or keeping your family in one spot for a long period of time, it's probably not a promotion. While you have almost no chance of moving from a D3 to a D1 head coaching position, he will now get the chance to climb the ladder and have that rare as hen's teeth shot going this route. But usually it involves a lot of hopping around, every couple years, long hours, miserable pressure, and good odds of getting canned because a whole team under performed, whether it was your position or not.

Really it just depends on what your long term goals are. I wish him a lot of luck, it's a very hard path to climb at that level.

AUPepBand

Ol' Alex Yunevich had a crack at the "big-time." Was an assistant coach at Purdue following graduation. Then assisted at Lehigh before landing head coaching job at Central Teachers College in Michigan. After three years at Central Michigan, he'd had enough.

Pep recently visited his 98-year-old widow in Venice, FL. She said it was not a good time at Central Michigan. Alex saw the writing on the wall while still at Purdue. As an assistant, had an office near the head coach and saw the parade of alums and others complaining because the Boilermakers only beat another team by 14 when "the other guys were beating them by 28."

Jim McLane rescued Alex from the rat race and Alex found a home at Alfred.

"They don't burn you in effigy at Alfred," he'd say.

Heck, one year his Saxons didn't win a single game. Nevertheless, that year the Olean Times-Herald made him the guest of honor at their annual Big 30 Banquet.

Alex and Alfred. Fit like a glove. He came in 1937...when USA entered WWII, he served in the Navy and AU dropped football until his return...retired in 1976 with 177 wins, 85 losses and 12 ties and his dignity.

On Saxon Warriors!
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

D3viewer

Former Winnipeg Blue Bombers head coach Mike Kelly will be the new head coach at Widener. Kelly replaces Bobby Acosta, who accepted the tight ends job at Syracuse earlier this month.

kate

Del Val's new football coach, Duke Greco!  Coach Clements to D2 Kutztown.  Good luck all around!

D3MAFAN

Quote from: kate on March 19, 2014, 08:46:04 PM
Del Val's new football coach, Duke Greco!  Coach Clements to D2 Kutztown.  Good luck all around!

Good hire/promotion by both teams. Good Luck to both coaches in their future endeavors. I always enjoy watching Del Val play, never really boring or predictable.

PBR...

FYI... DVC's schedule is out... with new coach Greco. Interesting note DVC will play its first home night game ever, also Montclair game should be interesting. http://athletics.delval.edu/news/2014/5/22/FB_14schedule.aspx

Pat Coleman

All the MAC schedules are on our site ... a lot of them were slow to come in but they have all been on D3football.com for a couple weeks now.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

rams1102

Quote from: PBR... on May 27, 2014, 10:07:04 AM
FYI... DVC's schedule is out... with new coach Greco. Interesting note DVC will play its first home night game ever, also Montclair game should be interesting. http://athletics.delval.edu/news/2014/5/22/FB_14schedule.aspx

It will be interesting to see what Montclair does with a quality program like Del Val. I feel the OC and Giancolla are living off their reputations. Coach G has a great reputation but it is starting to run thin and the OC, is living in a world of make believe.  We have pulled it together in the past. It is now time. At least we scheduled a good opponent to start off. Crossing my fingers for this year.

It ain't over till it's over, and when you get to the fork in the road, take it.

D3MAFAN

Looks like the MAC got off to a good start against the NJAC. Widener Defense look very good against Rowan. Albright over Kean, which was somewhat expected. Both games lasted into the fourth quarter.

Simba

Watched the Widener-Rowan game on the laptop while listening to Albright on the tablet...Widener dominated through key turnovers...Kean made a comeback attempt in the second half but ran out of gas...Two players ejected from game in first half on Albright's defense...One was their "Captain" who body slammed Kean's QB!...Nice leadership for a team that has 85 Freshmen and Soph's on it...What's the rule on those two for Albright?...Do they now sit the entire game vs Lyco next week or just the first half since they both sat the 2nd half vs Kean?...

Simba