BB: E8: Empire 8

Started by maxpower, February 23, 2007, 12:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bombers798891

Quote from: sjfcards on May 13, 2017, 07:42:11 AM
Quote from: Bombers798891 on May 12, 2017, 02:53:42 PM
Ithaca advances to the E8 title game, while St. John Fisher and Stevens battle it out to see who has to beat the Bombers twice tomorrow.

Boy, what a surprising opener by Fisher. Poldomani is Stevens' ace, I get it, but a 7-3 loss with the three runs coming in the 9th is a stunner. And for a team that relies heavily on three starters to have to burn that third one in a losers' bracket game is tough, especially because pitching depth is usually a key advantage when facing the Bombers. Ithaca also got a complete game from their starter today, so that helps, but I have no clue if Ithaca has the arms to pull this off

Fisher did the same thing in last year's tournament. They dropped an egg against Utica in game one before winning 3 straight to push IC to an elimination game. Eventually losing to IC in the final game. The difference was last year's team had one more quality starter for the first game against IC. I guess the real question is, has Fisher done enough, if they do lose today, to get an at large?

The Bombers get six runs in the second inning thanks to four Fisher errors and a bases loaded triple. Bombers trying to hang on. 6-2 in the 7th

Bombers798891

Ithaca hangs on and gets the E8 autobid with a 10-6 win. The early errors by Fisher killed them, leading to four unearned runs. But the Bombers also racked up 10 hits and drew 8 walks, and got six quality innings from Andrew Bailey, as Fisher's bats once again take way too long to get going. The Cardinals briefly made it interesting by getting it to 6-4, but a 4 run 7th from the Bombers is too much to overcome

Jack Parkman

I see Tim Locastro was just called up to the Dodgers yesterday.  Obviously not a post-season roster guy but another D3 guy in the bigs is great to see.

Jim Dixon

Locastro got in 3 games with an AB and SB.  Not bad for a very late callup

sjfcards

Does anyone know why Jim Dawson has not been pitching for Fisher this year? He is listed on the roster, but has yet to pitch.
GO FISHER!!!

John McGraw

Quote from: sjfcards on April 02, 2018, 10:44:05 PM
Does anyone know why Jim Dawson has not been pitching for Fisher this year? He is listed on the roster, but has yet to pitch.

Could be for any number of reasons. Think Fisher has been decent enough without him so far using two freshmen along with Brophy in the starting rotation. That said, if Fisher has both Dawson & Brophy dealing, they're a solid favorite to get back to Appleton and do damage. Without... still a very good team but maybe a bit lower of a ceiling. I should preface that by saying I still think they very much go to NCAA's but it's hard to get deep into the tournament without great starting pitching depth. In terms of the player, yes, he is on the roster, and he is also mentioned in the school's season preview that was released in February so who knows.

airball55

If you look at the numbers at the end of the year last season...he struggled towards end and velo was down.  I think he may have been hurt.  I don't believe he pitched in summer as well.  Lot of wins to replace, but, after looking at the schedule they played so far, it seems the youngsters are holding their own.

D3SportsFan

Empire 8 tournament begins next Thursday, and should be an interesting one with it hosted at Stevens and their unique field dimensions.

There could be some great pitching matchups...
Ruegger Poidomani DiPasquale - Stevens
Brophy Geissel (maybe Chambers) - St. John Fisher
Binder Morello - Ithaca
Cavalieri - Houghton

#4 Houghton at #1 Stevens - Thurs. 5/10 11am
#3 Ithaca at #2 St. John Fisher - Thurs. 5/10 2:30pm

Jack Parkman

Interesting to see these players get swapped and returned to their home areas, instead of across the country.

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/news/dodgers-trade-tim-locastro-to-yankees/c-301025242

Caz Bombers

sounds like the Fisher-Widener game down in Florida yesterday was bonkers. SJF coughed up a 14-2 lead in the 6th inning only to tie in the bottom of the 9th and walk off the Pride 17-16 in 10 innings.

https://athletics.sjfc.edu/boxscore.aspx?path=baseball&id=6496

sjfcards

Tough to get a read on Fisher this year. They have had a nice start to the season at 7-3, with wins over Johns Hopkins, UMass Boston (2 out of 3), and now Kean who are all ranked. However the pitching does not look solid at all outside of kuruts. Brophy has only thrown 1 game (3 innings I think), and Dawson has only thrown 1 inning. I thought those would be the top 2 guys this year.

Should be interesting now that they are back from Florida, and start to play in region.
GO FISHER!!!

airball55

I wouldn't worry much about the pitching too much. Remember. Playing all those games in a short time gets guys some time they usually wouldn't see. Their top 8 guys are very good. They have been ultra successful as a team playing 7 of their first 10 games against ranked teams and with a win today improved to 8-3 against a decent rit team. They will be there at the end

Jim Dixon

Depth in pitching are de-emphasized not with super regionals.  The Cal Lu strategy of four pitchers, three starters and a closer will be more in fashion.

airball55

I get that Jim, but, you have to get there first.  In cases like Fisher...who if they don't win the league is always in the mix for an at large, you need to win as many midweeks as possible.  And they duck no one with a top schedule year in and year out.  Also, if you get to a regional and lose...you gonna need more guys.  Looking forward to the new format though.  More teams need to get in!! And the NY region is pretty darn good with some teams not ranked that can compete with the ones that are. 

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Jim Dixon on March 21, 2019, 02:16:49 AM
Depth in pitching are de-emphasized not with super regionals.  The Cal Lu strategy of four pitchers, three starters and a closer will be more in fashion.

Remember that no regional will be more than four teams with super regionals and pool play in the World Series.  With three lights out pitchers, You can win your conference, regional, super regional and world series.