2018 NCAA tourney

Started by ronk, February 24, 2018, 11:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronk

In my annual bid to help the NCAA with their bracketing, here's the half of the bracket that I care about :

#1 Amherst (TCNJ,Skidmore/Roch Tech,Mt St Mary)
#2 Tufts (UNE,SUNYIT/Keuka,Cabrini)
#3 Scranton (Marymount,SUNY-Geneseo,Stevens)
#4 Bowdoin (St Joe(ME),FDU,SUNY-Old Westbury)
#5 Rochester (Juniata,MIT/WPI,Mt Aloysius/Hilbert)
#6 Montclair St (Gettysburg,Randolph-Macon/Emory & Henry,Mass-Boston)
#7 Messiah (CNU,Staten Island,Becker)
#8 Brooklyn (Roger Williams,Albright,Westfield St)

Sectional rounds (1-8 & 2-7; 3-6 & 4-5)

Rofrog

Like d3hoops picks but skidmore is in two pods.Simple mistake

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Rofrog on February 26, 2018, 01:00:59 AM
Like d3hoops picks but skidmore is in two pods.Simple mistake

Fixed.  We left off Gettysburg.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Rofrog

Understand long day for you guys.

Just Bill

"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

SidelineHero

This tournament is tainted no matter who wins.  Not so much by what teams got into the tournament but more so by the teams that were left out.  The at large bids are a joke this year. Pfffft

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Ha. That's pretty funny. We predicted 18 of the 20 correct (19 of 21 really)... and you think the at-large bids are a joke? Honestly, look at the criteria and the numbers and how it all gets put together and make an argument. I'll read it. If valid, I'll let you know.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 26, 2018, 07:09:16 PM
Ha. That's pretty funny. We predicted 18 of the 20 correct (19 of 21 really)... and you think the at-large bids are a joke? Honestly, look at the criteria and the numbers and how it all gets put together and make an argument. I'll read it. If valid, I'll let you know.

Must be that Mass-Dartmouth edumacation! ::)

SidelineHero

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on February 26, 2018, 07:13:46 PM

No need to disparage the school.or the education it provides.  Tier 1 engineering school BTW.  I may be passionate about my stances but I do not insulting the institutions or the athletes.  Would you like to join me on some higher ground or would you like to continue in the mud?

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: SidelineHero on February 26, 2018, 07:21:52 PM

No need to disparage the school.or the education it provides.  Tier 1 engineering school BTW.  I may be passionate about my stances but I do not insulting the institutions or the athletes.  Would you like to join me on some higher ground or would you like to continue in the mud?

I apologize for the unfair cheap shot.  I spent my career teaching at Eastern Michigan U, which is TOTALLY in the shadow of U of Michigan just 8 miles down the road.  I should show more empathy for others.  Sometimes I just fail to rein in a predilection for cheap jokes. :-[

I just thought you had gone rather over the top in your defense of Mass-Dartmouth - not that I haven't done the same thing in defense of IWU from time to time over the years! ;)

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

We forgot to post this yesterday... or more realistically, didn't have time...

The NCAA Division III tournaments are set. We know which 128 teams will be playing for the national championship. But there were some surprises, maybe some controversy, and certainly a lot of questions.

On a special edition of Hoopsville, Dave McHugh was joined by Ryan Scott as they answered questions, tried to understand some of the decisions made, and pointed to some of the more interesting games to watch.

Dave also had a chance to talk more in depth about one of the big stories in the men's bracket, Yeshiva. Men's coach Elliot Steinmetz discussed the team's first ever conference title, NCAA tournament berth, and some of the scheduling changes that will take place to accommodate the school's religious background.

Dave will also talked to the men's committee chairs, Tim Fitzpatrick (Coast Guard Athletics Director), later in the show.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch Monday's show here: http://bit.ly/2GFVq3M

Also, all podcasts from Sunday's and Monday's shows are available through their respective show pages... or the info below (where you can also subscribe to the podcast; (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dutchfan

Quote from: SidelineHero on February 26, 2018, 07:21:52 PM

Amen and God Bless!

Pat Coleman

Mass-Dartmouth did beat one ranked team in its run to the final eight last year, a definite upset and a nice run. But it didn't earn UMD a spot in the top 20, and that was appropriate.

Similarly, UMD didn't do enough to earn its way into the Top 25 this year. Or an at-large bid.

SidelineHero -- UMD being left out is unfortunate for UMD but it's hardly unexpected and it doesn't invalidate the national championship. Amherst beat UMD by 40 last year, remember? There's a huge gap between UMD and the national title contenders.

When you don't win the conference title, you have to rest on your out-of-conference accomplishments, and that definitely includes out-of-conference wins. Losing to Roger Williams means Roger Williams is on the table ahead of UMD for an at-large bid. And RWU got one. If UMD had won the conference title game, OR beaten RWU, it would have had a much better at-large resume. But this isn't your older brother's Little East, where the winner is a national title contender like Southern Maine or Eastern Connecticut was.

UMD being left out is no travesty.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

SidelineHero

Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 27, 2018, 07:34:44 PM
Mass-Dartmouth did beat one ranked team in its run to the final eight last year, a definite upset and a nice run. But it didn't earn UMD a spot in the top 20, and that was appropriate.

Similarly, UMD didn't do enough to earn its way into the Top 25 this year. Or an at-large bid.

SidelineHero -- UMD being left out is unfortunate for UMD but it's hardly unexpected and it doesn't invalidate the national championship. Amherst beat UMD by 40 last year, remember? There's a huge gap between UMD and the national title contenders.

When you don't win the conference title, you have to rest on your out-of-conference accomplishments, and that definitely includes out-of-conference wins. Losing to Roger Williams means Roger Williams is on the table ahead of UMD for an at-large bid. And RWU got one. If UMD had won the conference title game, OR beaten RWU, it would have had a much better at-large resume. But this isn't your older brother's Little East, where the winner is a national title contender like Southern Maine or Eastern Connecticut was.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of the gap between UMD and the champion level teams. UMD played Tufts to the wire this year.  Had that game been 60 seconds longer, UMD would have won.  Tufts is in the championship talk now, no? 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: SidelineHero on February 28, 2018, 06:51:16 AM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 27, 2018, 07:34:44 PM

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of the gap between UMD and the champion level teams. UMD played Tufts to the wire this year.  Had that game been 60 seconds longer, UMD would have won.  Tufts is in the championship talk now, no?

But the game wasn't 60 seconds longer and you can't make any assumptions that they would have just passed Tufts. Even scoring runs end in a game at some point.

Tufts isn't as strong as we all expected. Four losses this season is pretty surprising. If they were only two to Amherst, so be it. Yes, UMD has come a long way, but they need to start winning those games... not coming close honestly. Had they beaten Tufts... they probably also would have been ahead of RWU despite the head-to-head loss.