WBB: Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by BedtimeForBonzo, March 12, 2005, 12:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scaccommish

2005-06 SCAC Women's Preseason Predicted Order of Finish is posted at:

http://www.scac-online.org/basketball_womens

moseshightower

Interesting that Rhodes wasn't the favorite in the SCAC.  They return everyone from a team that beat Trinity by double digits last year.  Of course, they also lost twice to Southwestern.  Taylor Cook and Ashley Farrell are two of the better players in the conference.  Depauw loses Argetsinger and Zondor and is an overwhelming favorite, that is very strange.  Sewanee as a super sleeper on d3hoops is an interesting pick.  I think the loss of Ashleigh Whitworth will be tough for them to overcome and match their record from last season.  With two rookie coaches in Texas and the best player in the conference at Rose-Hulman, I think the SCAC is wide open this year.

tusid

FYI for tomorrow night's home opener for the Trinity Tigers...live stats are at the following link:

http://www.trinity.edu/departments/athletics/WBasketball/05livestats/xlive.htm

roaring0506

Anyone heard what the Wilmington/DePauw game score is?

Herb

roaring0506,
You probably already know this by now, but Depauw won 88-75.

Herb

Trinity beats Southwestern tonight 56-47.  Farrar leads Trinity with 14 and 11.

#1HOOPSFAN

Why doesn't there seem to be much talk about  the USA South.  I would like to hear some talk as to how everyone feels the league is going to play out now that we have seen some non-conference scores.  Who looks like the favorites? Who might surprise some people. I don't think it's going to play out like the preseason rankings.  Let's hear some talk

Ron Boerger

hoopsfan, perhaps one reason for your confusion is that this is the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference board (aka the dead board), not the board for the USA South

Ron Boerger

The Trinity women defeated two good teams in winning their holiday tourney this week.  They utilized a balanced offensive attack to defeat Johns Hopkins 64-59 in the finals.   Meaghan Scholbel led the way with 12 points and 10 boards in 27 minutes; Martha King and Jennifer Farrar added 10 points each.   Hopkins' Katie Kimball had 22 to lead all players.  Trinity improved to 7-1 on the young season while Johns Hopkins fell to 7-2. 

The Tiger women defeated Illinois Wesleyan in the opener, 69-61, behind 18 points and 13 rebounds from Farrar.  Leda McDaniel had 10.  Wesleyan's Val Fleishman had 21 points and 10 boards in just 19 minutes off the bench.   The Titans fell to 7-3 with the loss.

In the consolation final, Illinois Wesleyan defeated Ripon, 62-59. 

moseshightower

The Tigers should get a good test this weekend at Springfield's tournament.  Along with the hosts, St. Lawrence and Bates are both solid teams (despite Bates' sub-.500 record).  If they continue winning there, I suspect they will be back in the top 25.

Ron Boerger

Thanks, Moses.  I didn't realize they were playing in two tourneys in one week (not to mention travelling to New England for the second).   

Though it won't be easy, two wins in Massachusetts could put the Tiger women back on the national map and spotlight what has been an excellent job by first-year head coach Amie Smith Bradley.   Ms. Bradley, a four-year starter for the University of Texas, is also the older sister of Jenna Smith, who graduated last year holding TU's single-season and all-time steals records.   

moseshightower

Has anyone seen Oglethorpe play this year?  I saw they are currently 9-1 and was wondering if that was a function of their schedule or if they have improved that much.  They were picked to finish 9th in the SCAC and still might but all those regional wins can only help the SCAC's chances of grabbing a Pool C bid.

Ron Boerger

Trinity almost extended their winning streak to nine games, falling 76-71 in OT to a Bates team which has been strengthened by the mid-season transfer of a couple of student athletes (including last season's co-NESCAC Rookie-of-the-year, Amherst's Matia Kostakis).  A 5-15 performance from the FT line, where Bates enjoyed a 34-15 advantage, didn't help matters.   

Krista Matthews and Jennifer Wieman scored 15 off the bench to lead the Tigers.  Bates' Meg Coffin nearly recorded a triple-double with 15 boards, 13 points, and 8 steals.  Jackie Powers led all scorers with 18 points.

Bates improves to 6-5 on the season, while Trinity falls to 8-2. 

hoopsfan11

Oglethorpe is much improved this season with the addition of 12 freshmen and several players back from injuries last year.  They have beaten some quality programs including Bridgewater, Maryville, Emory, and Chapman.  They won their first conference game yesterday against Millsaps.  OU didn't play well but still came out with the win.  This weekend should be a big test for the young petrels with games against Rhodes and Hendrix at home.

scaccommish