FB: Middle Atlantic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: G-manWU on October 10, 2022, 12:50:38 PM
Quote from: kate on October 01, 2022, 07:09:26 PM
Even though i'm sure the students in the Landmark schools had very little to say back in 2005-06 about the new league's formation, i still hope that once they all come together for their football endeavor next season, that the MAC schools take em all out!!!   I will always miss Lycoming and Wilkes and to a lesser extent, Drew.   Scranton hasn't changed a bit, and the d3 sport's world still centers on them, :), but that's kind of cool.   Moravian, Elizabethtown, Susquehanna, just blend in my mind.   Don't know much about Catholic and Goucher, except i will always say that Goucher & Hood are very much alike!   I digress - this is a football site, and i'm darn proud of Del Val for their great effort this afternoon.   It was a tremendous defensive game!   Also very annoyed here tonight that our local channel 69 has completely stopped covering the Aggies.   A question of money i suppose and personnel.   Moravian and Muhlenberg are still prominently featured!

Hi folks, just a check-in from one of your friendly Wilkes posters!

It's quite ironic to read Kate's quote about the students having a say about the start of the Landmark Conference way back when, as the very first story I wrote for the Wilkes Beacon student newspaper (as a junior studying communications) was about the end of the Wilkes-Scranton men's basketball rivalry as a conference contest!

As I've learned with nearly any major move in life, there are pluses and minuses to nearly every such situation. After nearly two decades around the Wilkes program, I have well-developed opinions on all of the programs that will remain in the MAC. Those thoughts are based on a variety of factors, including (but not limited to) campus environment and amenities for visiting fans, overall level of sportsmanship from players and coaches, and (especially) the behavior and conduct of fans in the stands. Of course no program (Wilkes included) is perfect, as you'll always have some eggheads in the bunch, but some programs are better than others at preventing, policing and rejecting such nonsense in their ranks.

With this in mind, there are some remaining MAC programs I'll miss greatly on the Wilkes schedule, matchups that I hope can continue in a non-conference format. Others will be missed far less...I'll leave it your good imaginations to guess what teams fit where in that mix  ;)

As for this season, I've made it to three games for the Colonels (Keystone, LVC, and Albright) and the team continues to improve and grow each week. I think the LVC game was a wakeup call for the team; it seems that the Colonels have fewer fourth and fifth-year players on their roster than other MAC teams, by my informal observations. That leads to not just less experience on the field, but less of that acquired sixth sense of other opponents around the league, tidbits like Arnold Field being a very tough place to play that the Flying Dutchmen defend with tenacity (It's my opinion from many years of Wilkes-LVC games that LVC is the toughest place in the MAC to earn a win on the road). I've been pleased to see the team move forward with the lessons from that loss to post two consecutive wins, with some very tough opponents ahead on the schedule. 

For the rest of the season, I hope to make it to the Mayor's Cup game, but the responsibilities of adulthood will probably prevent me from catching any more games this year. I'll say this to the other MAC fans - both for this season's remining games, and as long as he's playing in the league - Bohannon is a force to be reconned with. This is a big comparison, but I don't think I've seen a QB able to generate offense like that since Knoblauch's time with the Aggies.

Well, the Aggies, with 15 new starters this season, overcome the 2 game juggernaut of (1) Beating LebVal at G-manWU's most difficult stadium for an opposing team to win at and (2) Stopping the high powered Wilkes offense, with a QB they literally did not prepare for, who was a much better athlete, escaping the pocket and in the run game, then Rodriguez.

If they beat FDU at home in 2 weeks and then win at Widener (Widener's Super Bowl).......that would make an unprecedented 5 consecutive, undefeated MAC Championships and 45 straight MAC wins. I'm not sure either of those records ever gets close to being broken.

I wasn't at the game but have been told that the Wilkes head coach was quite the non-professional after the game. A few players on the Wilkes team confided (with a few Aggies players, buddies from high school) that while a good coach, their respect for him stops right there. A former coach under him, with DelVal ties and has since moved on (and up) doesn't speak about him glowingly. Coach Greco is way too classy to run up scores, as he could have easily scored from the 2 yard line with a minute left in yesterday's game.

This DelVal coaching staff has done a remarkable job, especially fitting in 15 new starters this year.

I do expect Wilkes to contend annually in a pretty poor Landmark (outside of Susquehanna of course) and I'd imagine that Coach Drach moves on as he has much bigger designs........and you have to get there by a certain age or the chances decrease rapidly.

Aggies roll on...................but what is new. The dominance has just about dried up this board. This Swarthmore alum wishes my adopted Aggies (long time resident of bucolic Doylestown) well in their final 2 games. The conference championship is what matters, as always. Anything else is gravy!!!

bill

Congrats to FDU today...but that must have been an UGLY game. Here's hoping they keep the game with Del Val respectable...
"To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day."

bman

To be fair JM, there is no super bowl game for Widener, and hasn't been for quite some time...:(

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: bman on October 31, 2022, 11:10:45 AM
To be fair JM, there is no super bowl game for Widener, and hasn't been for quite some time...:(

Not exactly how it's being sold though to the players by their head coach (ex-Aggies player and coach) per some Widener player parents who have been cluing me in, as a springboard to a much improved 2023. Widener (per the LebVal head coach) was doing a lot of finger wagging and talking to the LVC bench at the game last week. I can see a repeat when the Aggies come to town. I am expecting more Aggies fans than Widener fans though as DelVal goes for an unprecedented fifth consecutive, undefeated conference championship. I don't think that ever gets approached if they have a conference for another century.

I know one thing that Head Coach Mike B, will insist upon this year. Zero tolerance with the social media smack talk by about 8-10 Widener players who openly stated that they were going to destroy DelVal, in Doylestown, last year. Those players were reminded when they stepped off the busses, during the game, after the game and when the busses departed. You don't poke the lion. ;)

DL Nick Werkheiser was the leader of the pack............but balled up on the field as the Aggies offensive line steamrolled him man on man.........and when they hunted for him later on double teams. The film showed him going, "no mas", by the end of the half as he spent a good chunk of the half laying on the ground. A few teammates said he spoke like Tarzan.........but played like Jane.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: bill on October 29, 2022, 09:06:20 PM
Congrats to FDU today...but that must have been an UGLY game. Here's hoping they keep the game with Del Val respectable...

Game was not as close as the final score. I think DelVal could have hung 60+ on them but they started taking that air out of the ball (and subbing.......quite deep) in the middle of the 3rd quarter.

The QB is quick, but had little to no help. The defense had quite the press clippings coming in but had no answer for the Aggies deep passing game. Their strength, the defensive line, put very little pressure on the QB.

kate

Congratulations to Kings for a great season!   That game next Saturday with Wilkes should be quite the contest considering (very sadly) that that will be Wilkes last game in the MAC.

bill

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on November 06, 2022, 02:24:50 PM
Quote from: bill on October 29, 2022, 09:06:20 PM

Game was not as close as the final score. I think DelVal could have hung 60+ on them but they started taking that air out of the ball (and subbing.......quite deep) in the middle of the 3rd quarter.

The QB is quick, but had little to no help. The defense had quite the press clippings coming in but had no answer for the Aggies deep passing game. Their strength, the defensive line, put very little pressure on the QB.

Well, that's about as close I would have thought. To quote the great Keith Jackson "it's hard to win the race if you don't have the horses"  :)

Of course one could argue FDU hasn't had enough horses since the mid/late 90's, but that's another post!!
"To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day."

jmcozenlaw

Congrats to DelVal on an unprecedented fifth consecutive, undefeated MAC Championship. Everything else is gravy from here. This run and the 45 game conference unbeaten streak (and counting) will never be broken, even if this conference (and sport) are here for another 100 years!!

kate

Excuse me, D3 NCAA placement committee - Del Val's current record is 10 and 0 - not 9 and 1.

jmcozenlaw

I am convinced that DelVal's run of dominance has dried this collective board up more than the cumulative issues of death, sickness, divorce (she had a good lawyer and you lost permanent access to the internet as a result:),  bankruptcy (see divorce:), loss of sports appetite, incarceration, witness protection program and maturity (substituting crap like art museums and Shakespeare)!!

Go Aggies!! Next year.................the Aggies start filling up the other hand's fingers with consecutive MAC Championship rings!!

kate

This Saturday, November 26th, Randolph-Macon comes to Doylestown and they'll be a tough opponent, NO DOUBT!   Best of Luck to our Del Val Aggies and we'll be watching on here and listening to Gordon Mann's call of the game!

kate

The Happiest of Thanksgivings to all on this site and as always, GO AGGIES and Best of Luck this Saturday!!!

kate

Both Teams played one HECK of a game, but the Aggies prevailed - Delaware Valley University 39 - Randolph Macon 32!   Amazing!!!

kate

Thrilled to read just now that the Mt. Union/Del Val football game will be played next Saturday in Doylestown, but does anyone know the NCAA's reasoning behind that decision?

thewaterboy

Quote from: kate on November 27, 2022, 03:34:33 PM
Thrilled to read just now that the Mt. Union/Del Val football game will be played next Saturday in Doylestown, but does anyone know the NCAA's reasoning behind that decision?

DVU has better metrics: Del Val has a SOS of 16th, and Mount has a SOS in the 120s. Del Val is 3-0 vs. RROs, Mount is 2-0. I would assume that is the reasoning.