FB: Upper Midwest Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jstoll19

I didn't watch any UMAC football this weekend and just checked in on the scores. This week really separated the top teams from the bottom teams with all 3 games ending in shutouts.
UNW FB '21

Baldini

Minnesota-Morris keeps their title hopes alive with a 27-0 shutout of Crown. The Cougars showdown on the 29th versus Northwestern could be for at least a share of the title. With their final two games at Northwestern and at Greenville, could we see a three-way tie at 5-1 when the regular season concludes? A fair chance the UMAC playoff representative isn't decided until the final week of the season.

Westminster had the misfortune of catching an angry Greenville team fresh off their loss to Northwestern and took the 52-0 defeat in Greenville. Westminster continues to struggle on offense and gets no break this week when they host Northwestern, but light is at the end of the tunnel for chances to break into the win column with their final 3 games against Finlandia, MLC and Crown. 

Martin Luther got in the win column with a 34-0 win over Finlandia, the Knights broke open a 7-0 halftime game with 27 third quarter points. Finlandia has hope in the coming weeks to get that first win in 5 years when they host Crown this week and host Westminster the following week. MLC's power run game was probably a bad matchup for the Lions, but Crown leans heavily on the pass which might be ideal for a Finlandia chance at victory. 

jstoll19

UNW's defense and special teams are playing a dominating game today with 5 tour overs so far half way through the 3rd. And 2 of those are blocked punts for TD's. The offense is looking good not great but that's ok when your defense is playing out of their mind.
UNW FB '21

Baldini

Last weekend's games were nothing to write home about, but this coming weekend should give us a couple of interesting games.

The two teams that remain undefeated in conference play will clash when Minnesota-Morris travels to face Northwestern on their home turf. I was thinking the Cougars might get this upset win until I watched RB Izayah Boss go down in the 3rd quarter of their game against MLC with what looked like a lower leg injury. Boss in an explosive runner and it will be hard for Minnesota-Morris to replace his production in their offense. Can the Cougars overcome the setback or is it just the Eagles year where the stars have aligned for them? It should be a great game regardless.

Another fun game to keep an eye on will be the Westminster at Finlandia game. Both teams enter this game winless, something will have to give with someone getting in the win column (a low scoring tie wouldn't be out of the question here though). Finlandia might have a small competitive advantage with Westminster having to travel 755 miles to play this game. If Finlandia can pull this one out and Westminster bounce back next week to get a win against Martin Luther, everyone in the conference will have tasted victory at least once on this season. Odds are there will be a winless UMAC squat this season which should led to this being a hard-fought game throughout. 

The 3rd game on Saturday is Crown traveling to Greenville in what probably will be a one-sided game. That is if Greenville comes ready to play, which hasn't always been the case this season for them.

Martin Luther is on the bye this weekend.         

Baldini

The Northwestern hosting Minnesota-Morris game ended with Northwestern in full control of their playoff destiny, for M-M it ended with what might have been. Northwestern only needs to handle their business with Crown and Martin Luther to wrap-up the AQ bid and maybe a first-round game with Bethel that would be to the delight of @AO, I'm sure.

This week's games are not the most exciting trio, but Northwestern still needs to show up against a scrappy Crown team as will Greenville against Finlandia. If Northwestern and Greenville stay focused both games may well be lopsided games though. The game with a chance to be a close battle is the Westminster @ Martin Luther game, an evenly matched game between two 1-7 teams and who ends up with a second win on the year. A game that seems like a complete tossup. Can Westminster overcome another long road trip two weeks in a row?

Minnesota-Morris is on the bye this weekend.     

AO

Quote from: Baldini on November 04, 2022, 11:47:35 AM
The Northwestern hosting Minnesota-Morris game ended with Northwestern in full control of their playoff destiny, for M-M it ended with what might have been. Northwestern only needs to handle their business with Crown and Martin Luther to wrap-up the AQ bid and maybe a first-round game with Bethel that would be to the delight of @AO, I'm sure.

This week's games are not the most exciting trio, but Northwestern still needs to show up against a scrappy Crown team as will Greenville against Finlandia. If Northwestern and Greenville stay focused both games may well be lopsided games though. The game with a chance to be a close battle is the Westminster @ Martin Luther game, an evenly matched game between two 1-7 teams and who ends up with a second win on the year. A game that seems like a complete tossup. Can Westminster overcome another long road trip two weeks in a row?

I'd rather be on the opposite side of the bracket from Bethel so we could meet in the Stagg.

Baldini

Quote from: AO on November 04, 2022, 02:05:38 PM

I'd rather be on the opposite side of the bracket from Bethel so we could meet in the Stagg.

I wasn't thinking along those lines, but I like it.

jstoll19

Quote from: AO on November 04, 2022, 02:05:38 PM

I would love to think that a UNW Bethel Stagg Bowl would be a possibility as my mom's side of the family are all Bethel grads, but I would rather this be a first round game so that it will actually happen. I would love to think UNW can make it to the Stagg bowl but I'm going to be realistic about this.
UNW FB '21

DuffMan

Bethel still has their work cut out for them...

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: 1932, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

Baldini

Big day on the Northwestern campus as the football team wins the AQ and the volleyball team battles for a spot in the elite 8 of their playoffs.

WLCALUM83

Quote from: Baldini on November 12, 2022, 06:35:01 PM
Big day on the Northwestern campus as the football team wins the AQ and the volleyball team battles for a spot in the elite 8 of their playoffs.

VB squad in a real dogfight with WIAC power UW-Whitewater at the moment (in the 3rd set, each squad split the first two)

Developing. . . .

UPDATE:  NW-MN now just one set win away (up 2-1 on UW-Whitewater)
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it."

WLCALUM83

Quote from: WLCALUM83 on November 12, 2022, 07:22:58 PM
Quote from: Baldini on November 12, 2022, 06:35:01 PM

VB squad in a real dogfight with WIAC power UW-Whitewater at the moment (in the 3rd set, each squad split the first two)

Developing. . . .

UPDATE:  NW-MN now just one set win away (up 2-1 on UW-Whitewater)

Look out, Elite 8, here come the NW-MN Eagles! They knocked off UW-Whitewater 3 sets to 1! (and knocked off 2 Top 15 squads and one ARV in the regional!)

NW-MN gets the football team-VB team double done--Congratulations to both squads!
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it."

jstoll19

Congrats to Damon Clapper for the 2nd team all-region honors!
UNW FB '21

The Third Division

Finlandia is closing its doors. Too bad they couldn't win a game in their one season in the umac

https://www.finlandia.edu/about/teachout/

Captain_Joe08

It was an issue to get kids up there and Finlandia. Limited selection of majors, recruiting wasn't there from local (Plenty of talent from the UP and northern WI), and lack of conference direction (Baseball in the WIAC, Football in the UMAC after the MIAA and everything else in the sprawling C2C) made it tough for the Lions in a very isolated part of the D3 landscape (Northland is the nearest D3 at 150 miles). Plus being 10 minutes from Michigan Tech did not help matters.

I felt football was a chance for them to boost enrollment but initial delay to get going plus the turnover in players and coaches disrupted the direction of the program. Being in the UMAC was the best fit for them despite the distances for some away games. I think they would've found life in the league a lot more to their liking.
Once a Warrior always a Warrior.
WLC Men's Tennis (2014 NACC Tournament Champs)
2014 MIAA Football Pick 'Em Champ
2014 WIAC Football Pick 'Em Regular Season Co-Champ
2014 National Confidence Playoff Champion
Milwaukee Brewers: 2018 NL Central Champions