FB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colinsteinke

Anyone have insight as to when we might see a finalists list for the UWW job?

bleedpurple

Quote from: colinsteinke on January 12, 2023, 01:01:18 PM
Anyone have insight as to when we might see a finalists list for the UWW job?

I'm guessing within a couple of weeks.  The mandatory posting period ended Sunday.  The applications are being reviewed as you read this. I'm pretty sure the initial telephone interviews are scheduled for next week.

GBMAN

FWIW... One of the Warhawk announcers seems to think it may be Jace Rindahl..

timmyturtle

Quote from: GBMAN on January 13, 2023, 10:45:11 AM
FWIW... One of the Warhawk announcers seems to think it may be Jace Rindahl..

I'm sure as far as internal candidates go, Rindahl is at the top of the list. 
I'm more interested in who is being considered from outside the current staff, will finalists be announced or do they just say "(blank)"  is the next head coach?

CtheBigPicture

I think Bleed is right on the timeline, they will go over resumes and come up with an initial list this week and make contact next week to come up with a list of finalists to come to campus.  We start classes the week of the 23rd so I am guessing there will be on campus interviews once we have the students back.  In the past Whitewater has done open forums for the finalists (among their other interviews on campus) and list the names on their athletic website, I suspected they will do the same this time (unlike last year's searches in Platteville and Oshkosh).

Candidates for the position can request their names not be released through the initial phase of the process in line with state policies but once they become finalists they lose that protection and it is a matter of public record.  It will be interesting to see who comes through the process and becomes a finalist and comes to campus.

On a separate note, has anyone noticed if either Platteville or Oshkosh listed the openings for the coaches who were hired last spring (not the head coaches) on an "emergency" basis?  With the state policies they can be on contract for one year as an emergency hire before there needs to be a search for the permanent position.

palum

Was it part of WW's plan to hire a new Chancellor before they hire a new Football Coach?

colinsteinke

Quote from: palum on January 21, 2023, 05:22:41 PM
Was it part of WW's plan to hire a new Chancellor before they hire a new Football Coach?

The chancellor search was ongoing this fall before Bullis announced a retirement, and is handled by different folks.

badgerwarhawk

My understand is that the finalists have been selected and are in the process of being contacted for interviews.  I wasn't given any names but generally told the application pool was robust and we have a group of highly qualified finalists. 

Because the name has been mentioned briefly my pick is Jace Rindahl.  Sorry, Emma but I don't feel we need to bring in someone entirely new to have continued success.  We just need to throw a few more slants and we'll be peachy keen with Jace.    ;)

GO HAWKS
"Just think twice is my only advice."

emma17

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on January 22, 2023, 11:08:34 AM
My understand is that the finalists have been selected and are in the process of being contacted for interviews.  I wasn't given any names but generally told the application pool was robust and we have a group of highly qualified finalists. 

Because the name has been mentioned briefly my pick is Jace Rindahl.  Sorry, Emma but I don't feel we need to bring in someone entirely new to have continued success.  We just need to throw a few more slants and we'll be peachy keen with Jace.    ;)

GO HAWKS

BW, when you say your pick is Jace, are you saying that's who you think will get the job or that's who you prefer?

For the record I wouldn't be opposed to Jace as long as he has a real plan for the offense. Prior to Bullis, UWW's last two head coaches were Brez and LL, both former UWW QB's. Yes defense is important, but today's game requires offense.
And of course Slant Routes are a critical piece of every effective offense and should be part of the screening process for all candidates.

colinsteinke

Quote from: emma17 on January 22, 2023, 01:46:00 PM
Quote from: badgerwarhawk on January 22, 2023, 11:08:34 AM

GO HAWKS

BW, when you say your pick is Jace, are you saying that's who you think will get the job or that's who you prefer?

For the record I wouldn't be opposed to Jace as long as he has a real plan for the offense. Prior to Bullis, UWW's last two head coaches were Brez and LL, both former UWW QB's. Yes defense is important, but today's game requires offense.
And of course Slant Routes are a critical piece of every effective offense and should be part of the screening process for all candidates.

I'm with Emma here. I would be excited for Jace on a personal level. I knew him in high school. Always a great guy. I could see the coach in him then, too.

But we've had significant talent over the last 5-6 years on the offensive side of the ball and squandered it. If he has a new vision for the offense, then great.

If they hire Jace and magically turn around with no changes and somehow everything is better...then what was the problem, really?

As much as I'd like that vindication, I would like them to make the right hire instead.

02 Warhawk

Yeah, I would be surprised if it wasn't Jace. Just hope he can provide a better vision of the offense, even though he's a defensive guy.

Looking forward to what the oline brings back, as well as Tamir Thomas being the guy at running back. Also looking forward to a QB that has a little better decision making qualities. Leading the WIAC in INTs (with not that many passing attempts) wasn't ideal.

emma17

02, I didn't realize Lew led the conference in interceptions- my goodness what a departure from QB performances of the past, and just ball security in general. There's a whole lot that goes into throwing interceptions, some may not be so much in the control of the QB, but you have to work with what you got and make it work.

badgerwarhawk

Emma, Jace is who I would prefer.  I think one of the big things we've got going for us is continuity in the leadership and I believe he is highly qualified.  It would take a finalist pretty exceptional to cause me to change my mind. 

I don't mean any disrespect to anyone but suggesting we've "squandered" talent when we've gone 56-10 (.848) in the last five seasons we've played and been a national semifinalist twice and runner up once suggests two things to me.  #1.  You haven't followed the program long enough.  We've squandered things a whole lot worse than this.  #2.  Your expectations are unrealistic.  We aren't going to win the national championship every year.  Sorry, end of rant.
"Just think twice is my only advice."

colinsteinke

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on January 23, 2023, 03:04:15 PM
Emma, Jace is who I would prefer.  I think one of the big things we've got going for us is continuity in the leadership and I believe he is highly qualified.  It would take a finalist pretty exceptional to cause me to change my mind. 

I don't mean any disrespect to anyone but suggesting we've "squandered" talent when we've gone 56-10 (.848) in the last five seasons we've played and been a national semifinalist twice and runner up once suggests two things to me.  #1.  You haven't followed the program long enough.  We've squandered things a whole lot worse than this.  #2.  Your expectations are unrealistic.  We aren't going to win the national championship every year.  Sorry, end of rant.

I've followed the program long enough to know that we've had the talent to win the whole thing since the last time we did, and we haven't. And I don't expect to win the national championship every year, but it's been almost a decade since our last one. And Bullis only took the team to one Stagg Bowl.

The expectations might be high, but that's what happens when you go to nine Stagg Bowls ten years. UMU expects to win it every year. Why shouldn't UWW?

GBMAN

UMU expects to win it every year. Why shouldn't UWW?

Make no mistake, it's Wisconsin Whitewater's expectation to win it every year too.