FB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emma17

Quote from: GBMAN on January 23, 2023, 06:48:57 PM
UMU expects to win it every year. Why shouldn't UWW?

Make no mistake, it's Wisconsin Whitewater's expectation to win it every year too.

Ahh the age old question again. Does UWW actually expect to win it every year? We all know they expect to win the mighty WIAC.

bleedpurple

Quote from: emma17 on January 22, 2023, 01:46:00 PM
Quote from: badgerwarhawk on January 22, 2023, 11:08:34 AM
My understand is that the finalists have been selected and are in the process of being contacted for interviews.  I wasn't given any names but generally told the application pool was robust and we have a group of highly qualified finalists. 

Because the name has been mentioned briefly my pick is Jace Rindahl.  Sorry, Emma but I don't feel we need to bring in someone entirely new to have continued success.  We just need to throw a few more slants and we'll be peachy keen with Jace.    ;)

GO HAWKS

BW, when you say your pick is Jace, are you saying that's who you think will get the job or that's who you prefer?

For the record I wouldn't be opposed to Jace as long as he has a real plan for the offense. Prior to Bullis, UWW's last two head coaches were Brez and LL, both former UWW QB's. Yes defense is important, but today's game requires offense.
And of course Slant Routes are a critical piece of every effective offense and should be part of the screening process for all candidates.

I have it on good authority that the finalists will not only be required to TALK about the slant pass, but they will be expected to actually run the route during the interview process.

02 Warhawk

Quote from: emma17 on January 23, 2023, 09:16:38 PM

Make no mistake, it's Wisconsin Whitewater's expectation to win it every year too.

Ahh the age old question again. Does UWW actually expect to win it every year? We all know they expect to win the mighty WIAC.

I know they sure do sell the national championship idea to recruits at least. I've seen numerous photos this off season with recruits standing around the championship trophies posing for a picture in the locker room.

We'll see if this new coaching regime can follow through.

badgerwarhawk

Quote from: colinsteinke on January 23, 2023, 03:58:02 PM
Quote from: badgerwarhawk on January 23, 2023, 03:04:15 PM
Emma, Jace is who I would prefer.  I think one of the big things we've got going for us is continuity in the leadership and I believe he is highly qualified.  It would take a finalist pretty exceptional to cause me to change my mind. 

I don't mean any disrespect to anyone but suggesting we've "squandered" talent when we've gone 56-10 (.848) in the last five seasons we've played and been a national semifinalist twice and runner up once suggests two things to me.  #1.  You haven't followed the program long enough.  We've squandered things a whole lot worse than this.  #2.  Your expectations are unrealistic.  We aren't going to win the national championship every year.  Sorry, end of rant.

I've followed the program long enough to know that we've had the talent to win the whole thing since the last time we did, and we haven't. And I don't expect to win the national championship every year, but it's been almost a decade since our last one. And Bullis only took the team to one Stagg Bowl.

The expectations might be high, but that's what happens when you go to nine Stagg Bowls ten years. UMU expects to win it every year. Why shouldn't UWW?

It took 118 years to win the first one. 
"Just think twice is my only advice."

colinsteinke

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on January 24, 2023, 10:08:49 AM
Quote from: colinsteinke on January 23, 2023, 03:58:02 PM
Quote from: badgerwarhawk on January 23, 2023, 03:04:15 PM
Emma, Jace is who I would prefer.  I think one of the big things we've got going for us is continuity in the leadership and I believe he is highly qualified.  It would take a finalist pretty exceptional to cause me to change my mind. 

I don't mean any disrespect to anyone but suggesting we've "squandered" talent when we've gone 56-10 (.848) in the last five seasons we've played and been a national semifinalist twice and runner up once suggests two things to me.  #1.  You haven't followed the program long enough.  We've squandered things a whole lot worse than this.  #2.  Your expectations are unrealistic.  We aren't going to win the national championship every year.  Sorry, end of rant.

I've followed the program long enough to know that we've had the talent to win the whole thing since the last time we did, and we haven't. And I don't expect to win the national championship every year, but it's been almost a decade since our last one. And Bullis only took the team to one Stagg Bowl.

The expectations might be high, but that's what happens when you go to nine Stagg Bowls ten years. UMU expects to win it every year. Why shouldn't UWW?

It took 118 years to win the first one.

So? This is just an odd take. It took UMU 100 years to win their first one.

"It took a really long time for them to win one national title, so we should be okay that all of a sudden they can't win another." 9 title games in 10 years and 6 national titles just raised the bar for me. I get that parity continues to grow, and that there are more elite/great teams than there used to be, but I just don't buy the "well it was nice to have then...it's over now."

We've had the talent and shown up underprepared in multiple big games over the last few years. I hope whoever takes over changes that.

emma17

Quote from: bleedpurple on January 23, 2023, 10:08:23 PM
My understand is that the finalists have been selected and are in the process of being contacted for interviews.  I wasn't given any names but generally told the application pool was robust and we have a group of highly qualified finalists. 

Because the name has been mentioned briefly my pick is Jace Rindahl.  Sorry, Emma but I don't feel we need to bring in someone entirely new to have continued success.  We just need to throw a few more slants and we'll be peachy keen with Jace.    ;)

GO HAWKS

BW, when you say your pick is Jace, are you saying that's who you think will get the job or that's who you prefer?

For the record I wouldn't be opposed to Jace as long as he has a real plan for the offense. Prior to Bullis, UWW's last two head coaches were Brez and LL, both former UWW QB's. Yes defense is important, but today's game requires offense.
And of course Slant Routes are a critical piece of every effective offense and should be part of the screening process for all candidates.

I have it on good authority that the finalists will not only be required to TALK about the slant pass, but they will be expected to actually run the route during the interview process.

That paints a hilarious picture in my mind. The AD and all other UWW interview team walking out to the Perk, talking down and distance scenarios and asking what's on the Call Sheet. What, a fade route on 3rd and 5, why not a double slant to your twins side, or single up your #1 on the backside? Coach, we're starting to have our doubts, perhaps if you demonstrate precisely how a slant route should be run vs zone and man, you may get us back in your corner.

GBMAN

Quote from: emma17 on January 23, 2023, 09:16:38 PM

Ahh the age old question again. Does UWW actually expect to win it every year? We all know they expect to win the mighty WIAC. a run at a
c
What is the coaching staff going to tell the players? We don't expect to contend for a national championship?

hazzben

Quote from: bleedpurple on January 23, 2023, 10:08:23 PM

GO HAWKS

Ha!! Classic, but what if the candidate runs a great route, yet fails to secure the catch?! Who is throwing these passes? Does the candidate's catch radius factor in?

bleedpurple

We could be getting names any time. Hopefully today.

colinsteinke

bleedpurple

I don't know. I'm choosing patience. I know the process is right there. Should be very soon.

colinsteinke

Quote from: bleedpurple on January 25, 2023, 12:22:26 PM
I don't know. I'm choosing patience. I know the process is right there. Should be very soon.

Ha. Fair enough. You just said maybe yesterday.  :)

bleedpurple

Quote from: colinsteinke on January 25, 2023, 12:24:47 PM

Yup. That's on me. My optimism got the best of me. I'll stay away from the timelines other than "soon".

To me it's just a matter of being interesting. I still think we already know the name that matters most. But only because I have confidence in his ability to crush it in the interviews, not because I think the process isn't legit. The competition is real.

I'll be glad for the clarity we have when this is done. I believe we will be moving forward with a vengeance!

emma17

Quote from: bleedpurple on January 25, 2023, 01:01:19 PM

Yup. That's on me. My optimism got the best of me. I'll stay away from the timelines other than "soon".

To me it's just a matter of being interesting. I still think we already know the name that matters most. But only because I have confidence in his ability to crush it in the interviews, not because I think the process isn't legit. The competition is real.

I'll be glad for the clarity we have when this is done. I believe we will be moving forward with a vengeance!

I wonder if we'll see multiple former Warhawks competing for the job.
I'm sure many are coaching now. I believe the job posting requires college coaching experience- I know there are some former players coaching HS that I'd like to see in an interview.

colinsteinke

Quote from: emma17 on January 25, 2023, 04:26:52 PM
Quote from: bleedpurple on January 25, 2023, 01:01:19 PM

I wonder if we'll see multiple former Warhawks competing for the job.
I'm sure many are coaching now. I believe the job posting requires college coaching experience- I know there are some former players coaching HS that I'd like to see in an interview.

Who is on your list? You're just interested in hearing them or you think they could make the jump?