FB: American Southwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crufootball

Quote from: Ralph Turner on January 09, 2023, 02:19:43 PM
Quote from: Fatherof4 on January 09, 2023, 01:53:06 PM
Also, why are these schools leaving the ASC?
McMurry says it is a "Mission and Vision" thing (my quotation marks, my assessment), that the SCAC is a more academically compatible group of schools. McM has been a Swimming affiliate for several years.

Haha love the honesty Ralph.

Do feel it is important to note that while Austin College, Southwestern and TLU are leaving the conferences, they are really just returning to the conference where they have competed in most/all other sports but the SCAC didn't sponsor football.  Adding McMurry, Schreiner and Lyon on top of the other just allowed them to not only have a bid but a fairly secured bid for the time.

Fatherof4

It has been mentioned as a possibility for 2 or 3 Texas schools to go from the NAIA to D3. Is it possible that UMHB to move from the D3 to the NAIA?

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Fatherof4 on January 09, 2023, 05:47:42 PM
It has been mentioned as a possibility for 2 or 3 Texas schools to go from the NAIA to D3. Is it possible that UMHB to move from the D3 to the NAIA?

That is generally seen as (at best) a lateral move.  More likely, though not terribly likely at present IMO, would be for UMHB to move to D2 (highly unlikely) or D1 FCS.  There is precedent, St. Thomas (MN) went direct from D3 to FCS a few years ago after their conference kicked them out.  The ASC's not going to do that, but if the Cru can't find a D3 conference to play football in, it could force their hand (or at the very least give anyone in favor of such a move a very good reason to pursue it).

The Cru's football facilities are already superior to many FCS schools, but many of the other sports would end up requiring updates.

jekelish

Quote from: Ron Boerger on January 09, 2023, 09:20:41 PM
Quote from: Fatherof4 on January 09, 2023, 05:47:42 PM

That is generally seen as (at best) a lateral move.  More likely, though not terribly likely at present IMO, would be for UMHB to move to D2 (highly unlikely) or D1 FCS.  There is precedent, St. Thomas (MN) went direct from D3 to FCS a few years ago after their conference kicked them out.  The ASC's not going to do that, but if the Cru can't find a D3 conference to play football in, it could force their hand (or at the very least give anyone in favor of such a move a very good reason to pursue it).

The Cru's football facilities are already superior to many FCS schools, but many of the other sports would end up requiring updates.

Honestly, UMHB could probably jump to the Southland and immediately compete for titles. If the ASC completely falls apart, I could see that being a very realistic option.

Fatherof4

Southland seems very ambitious. I think UMHB in the Sooner conference (NAIA), or the Lone Star conference (D2) could compete for conference championships very early. I'm curious how the financial side of moving affects things. The travel alone in the Lone Star conference would seem to be a big deal. Regardless, change is going to happen in the next few years.

Etchglow

Quote from: Fatherof4 on January 10, 2023, 07:36:34 AM
Southland seems very ambitious. I think UMHB in the Sooner conference (NAIA), or the Lone Star conference (D2) could compete for conference championships very early. I'm curious how the financial side of moving affects things. The travel alone in the Lone Star conference would seem to be a big deal. Regardless, change is going to happen in the next few years.

The Lone Star conference always kind of confused me with Central Washington, Western Oregon, and Simon Fraser playing in a largely TX/NM conference lol.  Maybe there is some history there?  I think the ASC could compete in the SAC.  Louisiana Christian (College) went 6-3 last year and is 10-8 since joining.  They were 10-12 in the ASC in the last 2 years + covid year. It doesn't seem like that is a step up though to me.

Riley Zayas

Proverbs 21:31. D3hoops.com WBB Top 25 voter. On the UMHB beat as the managing editor of TrueToTheCru.com, covering everything in CRU athletics. Read my blog, The Scoop on D3 Women's Hoops. Find it on the D3hoops.com Daily Dose.

UMHB03

I feel like dropping to NAIA would be a significant step down, but there are some quality programs that the ASC could try to poach. Texas Wesleyan is a up and coming program in Fort Worth that is building a new stadium, and Langston University in Oklahoma has been a solid program for a while. I would be a good idea to test the waters with them to see if they would be interested in moving to D3 and the ASC.
2016, 2018, and 2021 D3 Football National Champions

jekelish

With regard to Southland, I know some people who work in that conference, and they've seen UMHB play. They've told me they think they'd be competitive in that conference quickly.

Riley Zayas

Quote from: jekelish on January 10, 2023, 11:04:05 AM

With regard to Southland, I know some people who work in that conference, and they've seen UMHB play. They've told me they think they'd be competitive in that conference quickly.

Finances is the problem, not the ability to be competitive in football, in my opinion. UMHB could compete as a D1 or D2 no doubt. But then you don't have JV football, and you lose out on a lot of tuition dollars that way, because less can be in your program. You think WBB could have 25 kids in the program either at D2 or D1? Probably not. Rosters thinned down, athletic scholarships have to be offered, increased travel costs...it all adds up.

And I've seen the SAC...quality of facilities and everything else drops quite a bit (completely my opinion). D2 is probably the best fit right now, though if you go D1 you can play guaranteed games (think MBB vs TXST like 7-10 times during the course of a basketball season) and that can really boost your athletic funds. Some D1s survive on those guaranteed games in FB and MBB.

Again...completely my $0.02. I'm partial to D3 as you all know, and though I wouldn't mind seeing UMHB jump up, would like to see it done in a way so that the competitiveness across the board and beyond football doesn't diminish. Seems like the D3 era is fading fast, unfortunately. I just can't see UTD or Concordia or LeTourneau deciding to add football...concordia's soccer team doesn't even have a facility nearby to play games. They play about 30-45 minutes away from campus. Adding a football program would create some major facility costs for them in particular. Probably the same for UTD, though being a state school, UTD would be the one I'd peg of those three as most likely to start football.
Proverbs 21:31. D3hoops.com WBB Top 25 voter. On the UMHB beat as the managing editor of TrueToTheCru.com, covering everything in CRU athletics. Read my blog, The Scoop on D3 Women's Hoops. Find it on the D3hoops.com Daily Dose.

jekelish

Quote from: True To The Cru/Riley Zayas on January 10, 2023, 11:15:13 AM

Probably the same for UTD, though being a state school, UTD would be the one I'd peg of those three as most likely to start football.

Based on what I've heard, it's extraordinarily unlikely that UTD would ever add football. So I wouldn't bet on it happening soon, if ever.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: jekelish on January 11, 2023, 10:09:25 PM

Probably the same for UTD, though being a state school, UTD would be the one I'd peg of those three as most likely to start football.

Based on what I've heard, it's extraordinarily unlikely that UTD would ever add football. So I wouldn't bet on it happening soon, if ever.

+1!

The D3 model absolutely fits the needs of student-athletes at UTD.

Etchglow

It looks like Todd Macon is the running backs coach for Lamar as well. Last year was his first year as running backs coach at UMHB.

Riley Zayas

Quote from: jekelish on January 11, 2023, 10:09:25 PM

Yes, but in regards to the "most likely" UTD has more of an endowment for that sort of thing. CTX and LeTourneau will never add football. As you said, and I noted as well, it is highly unlikely we ever see any one of those three add football. I just can't see ASC football continuing once all the SCAC schools leave...there aren't enough options...it's going to be near impossible trying to get an NAIA to give up athletic scholarships...and that seems to be the only available option at this point.