FB: Presidents' Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADL70

Average margin of victory 5.3  Isn't that pretty much the definition of parity?

Carnegie-Mellon 40, Grove City 33
Carnegie-Mellon 10, Westminster 0
Carnegie-Mellon 12, Wash-Jeff 7
Case-Western 14, Wash-Jeff 10
Wash-Jeff 17, Westminster 14
Grove City 14, Case-Western 13
Westminster 24, Grove City 17
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

ADL70

Quote from: DagarmanSpartan on October 22, 2022, 05:43:49 PM
With Grove City's loss, the Spartans are still in the race.

Will need to run the table.

Westminster is on that table. CMU has an open date before the Academic Bowl. But for a miracle penalty on a kneel down and punt block TD in 2017, leading to a Spartan OT win, CMU would have won the last 6 meetings. Though 2018 was an OT CMU win.
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

ADL70

A bit of clarity in the Spartans QB quadrille. Owing to an injury to Wojkowski, Fromberg lined up a lot at WR Saturday and caught 3 passes. This week he's listed at WR on the depth chart.
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

Bob.Gregg

Unless Westminster knocks off Case-Western Reserve next weekend, the winner of the Nov. 12 Academic Bowl takes the PAC AQ.

IF the Titans win next week, the would clinch the PAC title for Carnegie-Mellon.
Been wrong before.  Will be wrong again.

DagarmanSpartan

Being a CWRU alum and fan, I hope that CWRU wins this Saturday.

That would make this year's "Academic Bowl" matchup one of the most intriguing, relevant, and exciting on record!

jam40jeff

At the half, CWRU has given up 2 first downs and 57 total yards, but is down 14-3.  What an ugly football game.

E.115

18 first downs for CWRU
4 first downs for WC

What a painful loss...

ExTartanPlayer

Glad CMU has clinched, of course, but still really want the W in the Academic Bowl.  Both for the satisfaction of beating the rival, and the reality that 10-0 has a chance at a home playoff game and a more favorable/winnable matchup whereas a loss means a road trip.

CMU's profile is OK, not bad, but not great.  They had two "decent" non-league wins; it's a shame that RPI lost two other nail-biters so they're merely a nice non-conference win and not really a threat to crack regional rankings.  W&J's non-league win over John Carroll is another nice feather in the cap for the PAC, and by proxy helps the eventual playoff representative a little bit via SOS.  One of those frustrating sorta-ironies is that the league having five "pretty good" teams that were all just good enough to beat/play close with each other is that the best the runner-up can finish will be 8-2, which makes it very hard for anyone else to get regionally ranked.  Maybe W&J will sneak into the final RR's - a strong 8-2 record with a good OOC win vs JCU might squeak in at the bottom.

Anyways, it's been a fun season to follow with multiple contenders, looking forward to Academic Bowl & hoping Tartans rep the league well in the playoffs.
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

E.115

WashJeff68

It's a cool rainy morning in Maryville, TN so I spent some quality time with our local newspaper. In the sports section there was an AP article that focused on how inflation (particularly food and travel)was impacting college athletic budgets, particularly at the small college level. I was curious how Allegheny's move from the NCAC to the PAC impacted their travel. I decided to take a look using one of their last NCAC schedules and their first PAC schedule. These are one way mileages.

Football - NCAC

Denison Granville OH.              217miles
Wabash Crawfordsville, IN.       453miles
Hiram, OH.                               66 miles
Wooster, OH.                          146 miles
DePauw Greencastlr, IN.          456 miles

Total.                                    1,333 miles

A couple of these would require an overnight stay

Football PAC

Thiel Greenville, PA.                    26 Miles
Westminster, New Wilmington, PA 46 miles
W&J Washington, PA.                 115 miles
Geneva, Beaver Falls.                   73 miles
Bethany, WV.                              134 miles

Total:                                       394 miles

Leave after breakfast, home for dinner!

Apply this for all the sports they play and you can see one obvious benefit to their changing conferences.

Imagine what travel budgets are like in the UAA, although they have financial resources that far exceed the typical DIII school.
Older than Springtime...Younger than dirt

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: WashJeff68 on November 11, 2022, 11:24:23 AM
It's a cool rainy morning in Maryville, TN so I spent some quality time with our local newspaper. In the sports section there was an AP article that focused on how inflation (particularly food and travel)was impacting college athletic budgets, particularly at the small college level. I was curious how Allegheny's move from the NCAC to the PAC impacted their travel. I decided to take a look using one of their last NCAC schedules and their first PAC schedule. These are one way mileages.

Football - NCAC

Denison Granville OH.              217miles
Wabash Crawfordsville, IN.       453miles
Hiram, OH.                               66 miles
Wooster, OH.                          146 miles
DePauw Greencastlr, IN.          456 miles

Total.                                    1,333 miles

A couple of these would require an overnight stay

Football PAC

Thiel Greenville, PA.                    26 Miles
Westminster, New Wilmington, PA 46 miles
W&J Washington, PA.                 115 miles
Geneva, Beaver Falls.                   73 miles
Bethany, WV.                              134 miles

Total:                                       394 miles

Leave after breakfast, home for dinner!

Apply this for all the sports they play and you can see one obvious benefit to their changing conferences.

Imagine what travel budgets are like in the UAA, although they have financial resources that far exceed the typical DIII school.

Yeah, it was a bit funny...when I was at CMU (still officially in the UAA for football, but the UAA only had four football-playing members at the time) we had a schedule that was populated with many PAC opponents and I remember sort of idly wondering sometmes why we weren't just in the PAC (though of course I did understand the broader institutional considerations).  From 2004-2007 we played, by my count, 11 total games against PAC opponents (Grove City and Bethany every year plus a two-year series with Thiel and a stray one-year game against Westminster; we also played Allegheny).  We also had preseason scrimmages against Westminster and Waynesburg a few times.  Definite geographic advantages...

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: ADL70 on October 23, 2022, 11:58:05 AM
Average margin of victory 5.3  Isn't that pretty much the definition of parity?

Carnegie-Mellon 40, Grove City 33
Carnegie-Mellon 10, Westminster 0
Carnegie-Mellon 12, Wash-Jeff 7
Case-Western 14, Wash-Jeff 10
Wash-Jeff 17, Westminster 14
Grove City 14, Case-Western 13
Westminster 24, Grove City 17

Agree, lots of parity within this group.  Definitely still nervous about the Academic Bowl even with CMU having the conference locked up - a win puts a nice bow on the 10-0 season and probably means a shot at a home game and much more likely to get a winnable first-round matchup than a loss.

CMU has played spoiler for Case a few times in recent years when CWRU came into the game with a little better record (plus the insane 2017 game, when Case came in 9-0 and won one of the wildest finishes you'll ever see) so I am definitely thinking Case wants to return that favor...

ADL70

Four PAC teams in post-season.

CMU of course in NCAA

ECAC:

W&J
Grove City
Westminster
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

ExTartanPlayer

Here's hoping they all represent the league well. The OOC results for the league's top teams this year are a bit of a mixed bag but overall good - W&J had a quality win against John Carroll, CMU a pair of decent wins against Whitworth and RPI, Westminster played a tough ballgame against Delaware Valley. The big downer was Case getting blown out by Johns Hopkins. So let's show out well in the postseason and show that the PAC is trending upwards into the top 10 or so conferences...