MBB: Great South Athletic Conference

Started by william burton, May 21, 2005, 11:48:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

william burton

Doug that was not a cultural dig, but you will read into it whatever you will.  You tend to be overly sensitive about those things.

Jack, I agree with you about the 2 teams from Maryville. I know Coach Beaty would like the opportunity to be a Head Coach.  

Matt Grubb, first of all I'm glad you had a nice time in Nashville! Secondly, Lambert can have all of the kids from Nashville, I could care less. I think Fisk only had 2 kids from Nashville on their roster last season. So long as Lambert stays out of Memphis, I'm happy. If the truth be told Lambert really is "stealing" them from SCAC Sewanee rather than Fisk! Fisk doesn't compete with Maryville for the same basketball recruits.  We are like Notre Dame - the whole nation is our recruiting base!

Ralph Turner

Jack, the GSAC will need 2 more men's teams to get the AQ.  (I believe that the women should have their AQ in 1-2 years.)

I would love for the GSAC to grow to that size, and that explains my investigations as to new member initiatives, e.g., an independent such as UDallas or a Thomas More, an invitation to the SCAC's Oglethorpe or moving a Berea or a Shorter from the NAIA.  I would feel badly when some GSAC team splits the season series with Maryville, wins the post-season tourney over Maryville, but doesn't get the Pool B bid for which everyone in the GSAC is now competing.

Thomas More's move to the Pres AC will take the Pres AC into Pool A in the next couple of years.  (My guess is for the 2008 tourney unless there is some new legislation allowing re-organization for the sake of a Pool A).  NJCU moves back to the NJAC for 2006.  The North East AC moves those Pool B schools and its allocated bid into Pool A, probably in 2007.  Also the new UMAC will get a Pool A bid by the start of the next decade, at some expense to the Pool B teams.  Wearing an AD's hat, I can see a real advantage to having an AQ in the other sports, e.g., soccer, baseball.  Even Cross Country, Golf and Tennis are exploring AQ's.  

Good luck in the off-season!

scottiedoug

William:  I did not say your relocation suggestion to Grubb was a "cultural dig," but then again I guess having not gone to a little Notre Dame, perhaps I may be too sensitive....

william burton

Doug you may need to go to some "I'm okay, you're okay" type seminars!  Or better yet watch Dr. Phil for a month or so.  That could help you with your sensitivity issues.  Or even better go talk to Coach Haynes, he's an amateur psychologist of note ...

scottiedoug

Speaking of ok, William, your alma mater was very well represented today at Maryville's commencement, where Congressman John Lewis received a Doctor of Laws and gave the address.  In his talk, entitled "Get in the Way," he urged graduates to commit themselves to making this a better world.  He was not then and is not now willing to accept the idea that things are "ok."  He knew that before he arrived at Fisk, but he was propelled from there into a fine life of struggle for peace and justice.  He made both our alma maters look good today.

william burton

Congressman Lewis is great guy, now we have to return the favor and have Coach Lambert speak at Fisk's annual athletic banquet!  

(That's a joke, although Lambert could combine it with one of his Nashville area recruiting trips, and Grubb can show him around the nice entertainment establishments that Matt frequents while in Nashville)  

On a serious note, if my schedule permits I hope to be able to make it the Fisk-Maryville game in Maryville next season.  I've got to see for myself what this "hostile" environment is like for myself.  You can't miss me, I'll be wearing a blue FISK letter sweater with my real name - William Burton - on the front of it and '85 on the left arm in gold!  I was too broke at the time to put an All-SCAC patch on it, but the good news is that I can still fit in it...

(Message edited by wilburt on May 23, 2005)

Brett

The two kids from Maryville are adequate at best. They are just role players for the next four years. Talking to some coaches and fans of the Scots, they say the recruiting class for this upcoming year might be the weakest Lambert has had in awhile. Two main concerns replacing Ellis and Placere? Can it be done.. I believe it can be done. Mason will be tested a lot more this year by other teams and Calloway and Golden being the main offensive threats wont have as many looks since Placeres and Ellis are gone. Once again like I said before  the Scots will lose their first conference game in 6 years in the regular season and for the second time give up the Conference title to Fisk, of course if Fisk brings everyone back..

scottiedoug

William:  It will be a pleasure finally to meet you.  And if Brett is right, you might even enjoy the game!

Brett: Can you tell us more about the incoming group?

TheBreakout

I am just patiently waiting for the second coming of brent watts.  When someone signs with that guys talents, i will then be impressed and will become more involved in the summer conversation.

william burton

Brett I am not falling for it.  Maryville will be good as usual. What? You have got 5 recruits so far - two big men and three guards, plus the returnees.  Pull-ease, until someone in the GSAC can consistently beat MC (rather than just compete with MC like the close games in the most recent GSAC tourney) then MC will be (and should be) the odds on favorites for the 2006 GSAC title!

scottiedoug

william burton

Looks like from the press release that Maryville will have an above average recruiting class per usual.  

No info from me on any Fisk b-ball recruits until school starts...

However, I hear that we do have an All-State soccer player from New Jersey coming to the hallowed Nashville campus!

william burton

I see that the GSAC basketball tourney will be hosted by Huntingdon College next year.  Uh ohh...

Montgomery can be a tough place to play!

Brett

I will be the first one to say that for the first time Maryville will lose a conference game in the regular season and they will also not win the Conference Championship especially that its hosted dowin in Huntingdon.

william burton

I see that LaGrange and Murvul have completed their schedules for 2005-06.  Glad to see MC playing some teams from the Midwest.  Long overdue IMHO.  Coach Haynes good job playing UDallas and Rust.  Yet to see Fisk's schedule but they will likely only be playing only one D1 team next season - Tennessee State.  Looks like no D1 Lipscomb and D1 Belmont for next season.