BB: SKY: Skyline Conference

Started by d3baseball, February 13, 2006, 09:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d3baseball

dont sleep on some of the skyline teams this year...stevens returns everyone, centenary has a couple of solid players, st. joes is receiving votes and mt. st. vincent did pretty good for a 1st year program. the conference has gotten much better.

BigPoppa

What are all of the schools in the Skyline... Where is the conference located?
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

d3baseball

all the schools are in the nyc area....in nj, long island, westchester. last year, stevens beat salisbury and manhattanville beat willy paterson just to give you an idea of the teams. the conference website is

www.skylineconference.org

BigPoppa

Thanks for the info... it is truly appreciated.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

wittenbergfan21

Ralph Turner

We encourage any fans of the Skyline Conference to start posting and to bring your friends.

Bob Maxwell

I am sure that some of you must already use this link as a resource to tack teams and conferences, but if anyone doesn't here is the NCAA page to all schools and conferences at all three levels:

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/contentviewer?IFRAME_EMBEDDED=true&CONTENT_URL=http://www.ncaa.org/conferences/links.html

I hope it comes out OK so you can link to it, I use it all the time...  saves time and space in favorite bookmarks.

d3fan039

i think the skyline is one of the most overrated leagues in the country....other than a few decent teams at the top of the league, the rest of the teams are relatively weak. Its unfortunate that a team recieves an automatic bid from this league....whens the last time they had a team win an NCAA tourney game....i cant recall??? Id much rather see 5 NJAC teams go than a skyline team

Baseball101

Well to start off, last year Centenary college was 1-2 in the regional tourtament, so that answers ur one the question. Secondly, you had Steven Tech ranked last year. and finally u had one player drafted from Centenary college and have two to three possable drafties for this season or Independent baseball.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Dr Baseball on February 28, 2007, 06:18:51 PM
i think the skyline is one of the most overrated leagues in the country....other than a few decent teams at the top of the league, the rest of the teams are relatively weak. Its unfortunate that a team recieves an automatic bid from this league....whens the last time they had a team win an NCAA tourney game....i cant recall??? Id much rather see 5 NJAC teams go than a skyline team

I will have to disagree.  I am not sure that the 5th place team in the NJAC has distiguished themselves to deserve a bid to the playoffs.   I also defend giving automatic bids to every conference that has the required number of teams.  I personally like the variety of teams that we see now compared to ten years ago when there were no automatic bids. 

Also keep in mind that some conference will be stronger in some sports than others.  The Skyline might be below average in baseball but stronger in another sport.

I dont want to advocate taking away automatic bids if your conference Champions cannot go far in the playoffs.  There are several conferences that have never made the Championship round.  Enough in fact to allow all the NJAC teams to make the playoffs.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Jim Dixon on February 28, 2007, 08:01:20 PM
[I dont want to advocate taking away automatic bids if your conference Champions cannot go far in the playoffs.  There are several conferences that have never made the Championship round.  Enough in fact to allow all the NJAC teams to make the playoffs.

By my count 14 conferences currently have no team that has made it to the championship round - yep including the Skyline.

d3fan039

Jim Ill agree that the automatic bid thing is a good team, but I believe u wrong about justifying the NJAC getting 5 teams......William Patterson regular season champ not receiving a bid due to a poor conference tournament showing....they were the #1 seed going into the postseason tourney in the best league in the country....they deserve a shot to play for the NCAA's

John McGraw

FYI, the Skyline plays their conference games with wood bats instead of aluminum.

Baseball101

Wouldnt u rather a conference play with wood bat them metal? it proves what players at a D3 level can do if they got picked for the next level. Its already that D3 players are drafted in the late rounds compared to high school students and D1 players. That may be a reason you feel the Skyline conference for baseball is weak cause young college kids are already hitting with wood, that leave games 1-0 finals. and easier for a possable no hitter.

JQV

Quote from: Baseball101 on March 01, 2007, 03:53:42 PM
Wouldnt u rather a conference play with wood bat them metal? it proves what players at a D3 level can do if they got picked for the next level. Its already that D3 players are drafted in the late rounds compared to high school students and D1 players. That may be a reason you feel the Skyline conference for baseball is weak cause young college kids are already hitting with wood, that leave games 1-0 finals. and easier for a possable no hitter.

I think the reason we feel the Skyline is a weak conference is because the teams in the conference never manage to beat teams not in their conference.