MBB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, February 24, 2005, 09:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: ziggy on September 26, 2022, 02:33:02 PM
The-person-known-on-these-boards as KnightSlappy and I launched a D3 basketball youtube show last month (link in the sig) and one of the topics we discussed for this time leading up to the new season is a D3 basketball bucket list. We have been trying to solicit feedback for that via the YT channel and twitter but wanted to put out the call here as well as we know not everyone is connected on those platforms.

We got started with a few items of our own and some feedback from others already but are looking for as much input to consider as possible. If you have a game, venue, event, etc. you think is essential bucket list material for any D3 basketball fan please send me a private message this week and we will be sure to add it to the list. Thanks!

I did watch the 1st episode and a half (dinner interrupted me) and I enjoyed it. I normally don't have time to just sit through an episode, especially the longer ones, but I'll make an effort when I can.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

John Gleich

Quote from: WUPHF on September 18, 2022, 08:35:06 PM
Quote from: John Gleich on September 18, 2022, 06:42:51 PM
I heard from someone that the Friday game was cancelled because it was too close to Thanksgiving.

It seems crazy that a veteran coach would agree to a game only to cancel after realizing it would be close to Thanksgiving.  I think there are reasons to cancel, but that reason risks putting off MIAA coaches who might otherwise be interested in scheduling UWSP in the future.

To be fair, Point hadn't posted their schedule at that point, so perhaps it was miscommunication. Hope's schedule has changed a couple of additional times, so perhaps it was "published" before it was complete.

Point also played AT Hope last year.
https://athletics.uwsp.edu/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2021-22/hope-college/boxscore/10540
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: cubs on September 26, 2022, 06:28:49 PM
Pretty sure tomt4525 mentioned a few of these already (Faber and Coleman for sure,) but here are a few more transfers heading to Stevens Point for the upcoming season:

According to Mark Miller:

"Transfers with state ties in the Stevens Point men's basketball program include:

Cade Faber (Abbotsford/Knox)
Jason Larson (Mount Horeb/Parkside)
Quintin Winterfeldt (Waupun/Bryant & Stratton)
Myles Coleman (Brookfield Central/Bethel)
Kael Stulo (Oak Creek/Iowa Central CC)"

Will be interesting to see what kind of impact they have next season...

I have come up with 13 total, based on previous posts, mostly by tomt4525.

Freshmen

6'4" Gus Foster - Big Foot
6'4" Josiah Giller - West Allis Central
6'7" Luke Warden - Green Bay Notre Dame
6'7" Landan VanCalster - Freedom
6'3" Blake Kortz - Freedom

Out of state

6'2" Shane Tarjan - Loyola Academy IL
6'10" Dylan Ruder - Hayes (KS) - Kansas Wesleyan
6'0" James Sivley - St. Joseph's Prep (PA)

Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

tomt4525

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on September 28, 2022, 11:00:35 AM
Quote from: cubs on September 26, 2022, 06:28:49 PM
Pretty sure tomt4525 mentioned a few of these already (Faber and Coleman for sure,) but here are a few more transfers heading to Stevens Point for the upcoming season:

According to Mark Miller:

"Transfers with state ties in the Stevens Point men's basketball program include:

Cade Faber (Abbotsford/Knox)
Jason Larson (Mount Horeb/Parkside)
Quintin Winterfeldt (Waupun/Bryant & Stratton)
Myles Coleman (Brookfield Central/Bethel)
Kael Stulo (Oak Creek/Iowa Central CC)"

Will be interesting to see what kind of impact they have next season...

I have come up with 13 total, based on previous posts, mostly by tomt4525.

Freshmen

6'4" Gus Foster - Big Foot
6'4" Josiah Giller - West Allis Central
6'7" Luke Warden - Green Bay Notre Dame
6'7" Landan VanCalster - Freedom
6'3" Blake Kortz - Freedom

Out of state

6'2" Shane Tarjan - Loyola Academy IL
6'10" Dylan Ruder - Hayes (KS) - Kansas Wesleyan
6'0" James Sivley - St. Joseph's Prep (PA)

Mostly??

The only person I didn't make a post on here about was Kael Stulo, and he never made any type of announcement on social media.  Stevens Point announced their recruiting class online as well and didn't have a post about Stulo.  He must have been a late addition, one who I think will make some solid contributions to the program.

13 additions is a huge recruiting class, quite frankly, they needed it.  Going defeated in conference clearly shows you need an infusion of talent into your program.  Going the transfer route on quite a few kids was also needed, immediate contributions by some players will be welcomed by Point fans.  As far as transfers go, I would expect Larson, Winterfeldt, Stulo and Coleman to be regulars in the rotation.  I would love if Ruder is good enough to step in with his size, but he's a mystery to me.  I'm excited about Foster and Van Calster as far as freshman go, I'd really like to see them get some minutes early as well.

Greek Tragedy

Yes. When you don't get them all, it's "mostly" by definition. LOL. You got 12 of 13. You know I appreciate your contributions!
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

PoppersMacsLive

@tomt4525, any thoughts on how the WIAC will stack up this year?

Greek Tragedy

My opinion doesn't really count, but...

Oshkosh
La Crosse
Platteville
Whitewater
Stevens Point (Homer pick)
Stout
River Falls
Eau Claire
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

tomt4525

Quote from: PoppersMacsLive on October 02, 2022, 09:16:32 AM
@tomt4525, any thoughts on how the WIAC will stack up this year?

Hmm....I can give it a shot.

1) Oshkosh, best starting 5 in the conference.  Not sure who the 5th starter will be but with Borchert, Plamann, Mahoney and Peterson...I'm taking them at the top.
2) La Crosse - Ethan Anderson is back and Dernbach has done a great job on the recruiting trail the last few years.  Losing Cook is a big loss but Westra seems ready to step into his role.
3) Platteville - Lose a lot of firepower and experience but have recruited at a high level, bring in some talented transfers. 
4) Stevens Point - I don't think this is a homer pick, completely overhauled their roster.  3 D2 transfers should be in the starting lineup, also bring in the highest rated freshman in the conference.  My only question mark will be how do they handle teams with a traditional big man.  I'm not high on Vander Velden and I don't know what Ruder can give a WIAC team.
5) River Falls - Recently spoke with an assistant coach in their program who thinks this is too low for them.  They bring everyone back with eligibility, including Noah Hanson for his covid year.  Payne could be the best big man in the conference.  Will have to figure out the point guard position with Phillips gone.
6) Whitewater - tragedy struck Whitewater with Derek Gray, that is a huge loss.  On top of that, the other backcourt mate..Malensek has quit the team.  Whitewater still has a ton of talent but will need to figure out the backcourt, if Jameer Barker takes some steps forward I probably have them too low.
7) Eau Claire - a little bit of a mystery to me, I have heard some guys are back for covid years but haven't seen anything specific.
8) Stout - losing Williams is a huge loss.  They brought in a solid recruiting class but hard to step right into the WIAC and win games.

Feel free to let me know how I'm wrong, haha...also throw out any info that you may have as far as guys using extra eligibility.

PoppersMacsLive

This is very useful. I didn't know Malensek quit. Hopefully I'll get a chance to see Stevens Point @ the Sikma Tournament in mid-November.

fredfalcon

Tomt4525
The assistant coach did not mention the addition of  Logan Jedwabney, transfer from North Dakota State School of Science and Agriculture? He is a significant addition.
WORLD'S OLDEST FALCON FAN.

MESSAGE TO RECRUITS:  IN DOUBT? ENROLL AT STOUT. DON'T CARE? GO TO EAU CLAIRE. AT A LOSS? TRY LACROSSE. FEELIN' OUTTA JOINT? YOUR PLACE IS POINT. DON'T LIKE THE REST? DO WHAT'S BEST!

GOT BALLS? PLAY FOR THE FALLS!

Greek Tragedy

Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

PauldingLightUP

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on October 08, 2022, 10:05:48 PM
Not sure if Tomt4525 posted this, but Stevens Point already has a commitment for next year.

Austin Schaumburg

https://youtu.be/6Vy3SiTiPYY

https://twitter.com/a_schaumburg31/status/1577020127346065409?t=QKRF2-Y_3IvrOSTOyNXPYw&s=19

What? Saying you got a roster spot offer is no where close to a commitment.

tomt4525

Quote from: fredfalcon on October 07, 2022, 02:36:58 PM
Tomt4525
The assistant coach did not mention the addition of  Logan Jedwabney, transfer from North Dakota State School of Science and Agriculture? He is a significant addition.

The only players the coach mentioned by name was Noah Hanson and Rodrick Payne.  Jedwabney is a significant addition.  If Jedwabney and Hanson are on the court together, it will be very difficult to double down on the post.  River Falls will be solid, but breaking the top 4 like the coach thinks, will be tough.