MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homer

Quote from: AmherstRules on February 03, 2023, 02:17:50 PM
Quote from: Homer on January 29, 2023, 03:39:15 PM
In response to Jefffan about the inconsistent play of the mammoths: I was at both games this weekend. Amherst had a height advantage over both Wesleyan and Trinity. They couldn't take advantage of it. Easy shots wouldn't fall. Is it is a matter of concentration, confidence? At the end of the Wesleyan game, Amherst has trouble getting the ball inbounds and nearly lost except for some clutch free throws. They have had trouble with inbounding early in the season. Wouldn't that be something the team would practice and get right? Turnovers and the inability to finish easy shots in the first half of the Trinity game were pathetic. At half time, you could hear Coach Sears screaming through the public bathroom walls which separate the bathrooms from the Amherst men's locker room. The yelling didn't help. The men didn't respond. It was an ugly game from Amherst. From my perspective, it doesn't look like Sears has found a lineup with which he is comfortable. The starting lineup plays 5 minutes and he substitutes a new lineup. In many games , 10-11 players play around 20 minutes or less. I don't see any consistency on the court. Is it frustrating to play for Sears? It's frustrating trying to figure out a game plan, wasting all the height, and wondering if Amherst practices inbounding the ball. it is difficult to watch a season drift away.

It's a hockey substitution thing he's can been reading about. System teams do it all the time.

I don't think it's working.

jumpshot

EPHS beat Trinity i Hartford by shooting 57%, including 16 of 28 fro distance, 24 assists, only 7 turnovers ---- and have fun doing it with Roughly back in the rotation. Lots of relaxed effort by the Ephs, even with Trinity playing well with several good shooters. Excellent win on the road where the Bantams have won a lot of their games this season. On to Wesleyan tomorrow ....

Old Guy

Middlebury was behind 21 at the half to Wes, 46-21, and down as many as 25. Won the second half 60-43, got within 3, but the hill was too high. Evan Flaks was instrumental in Middlebury's second half comeback, with 24 points: 9-13, 4-5, 2-2 (4 tough threes). He just plays better and better. Has he inserted himself in the ROY discussion? Osher had 5 threes to bring us back and finished with 21. Sobel didn't dominate as he can at times, but had a very nice line with 18 points, 10 boards, 3 blocks, 5 assists, 3 steals. Brennan didn't start, was not himself, is "under the weather," I am told. Hope it's a short term thing. Important to have him at full strength if possible for the Bantams tomorrow.

Wes was torrid in the first half, 53% FGA and 65% from 3 (7-11) — and 50% for the game, 66% from 3 (13-20). Revetz had seven 3s and 27 points overall. He killed us, nailed a couple of big threes when Midd was just 3 and 6 points down making its challenge in the second half. He certainly gets the premier etoile. Wesleyan NSN announcer is really good.

Panthers lost to a good team in their gym, showed resilience in coming back in the second half. Big one tomorrow!

nescac1

Williams - Trinity was certainly the most entertaining game of the year for Williams.  Both teams executed at a high level, moving the ball, avoiding turnovers, and most of all just hitting everything.  Williams sustained its play from the 20-0 run v Bates and hopefully has found something after a few weeks of major offensive struggles.   

For Williams, Spencer Spivy continues his all-American level play, which he has sustained since the start of league play.  He has been immense in all phases.  Cole Prowitt-Smith had his best game since returning from injury and the Ephs badly need that sort of aggression from him going forward.  He's definitely the Ephs' x-factor guy, provides such a huge spark when he has it going.  Nate continues doing a bit of everything beating teams primarily with his passing and outside shooting.  Hansen had a monster dunk which seemed to ignite the team. 

But the big story was Brandon Roughley's return.  He is on limited minutes, but can't do much better than 4-4.   What was great to see was him sticking near the rim and adding some badly needed interior force on offense for the Ephs.   Before his injury he was often getting lost a bit on the perimeter, stuck in the corners, and the Ephs need him operating near the hoop.  He's clearly the team's most effective pure post scorer.  I love having either him or Nate in at all times.  Takes some pressure off Nate to carry all the burden inside on both ends (Roughley added two blocks in his limited minutes) and lets him rest a bit more when needed.  The key sequence of the game was when on one possession in the second half he drew two fouls then hit a very tough interior shot.  From that point on it was basically all Ephs. 

Williams was all over Callahan-Gold but he still hit some very deep 3s and some tough shots on the move.  Henry Vetter looked really good for Trinity, he's gonna be a real player, definitely belongs in ROY mix  And some of Trinity's role guys were hot from outside.  Trinity doesn't seem quite as physical or athletic as some past Trinity teams but when they hit shots like that they are very tough.  Williams had to play its best game to pull away. 

Both Wesleyan and Williams were scorching hot yesterday.  Can't imagine either can sustain that on a short turnaround, plus these games are traditionally slugfests.  Maccoux is typically a tough matchup for the Ephs using his size to do damage inside. He's been scorching of late.  Williams has to protect the ball and not let Johnson create havoc in transition.  I'm sure they will be all over Ravetz on the perimeter, as Wesleyan will be on Declan Porter, but those guys don't need much room.  Williams needs Spivy and Cole to keep attacking the rim and hopefully gets some tough inside play from Nate and Roughley in whatever minutes he can give.  Hansen is so much better coming off the bench and he can hopefully ignite the team with a few athletic moves to the rim as well plus his D will need to be tough v Wesleyan's big athletic wings.  So much at stake in this one - Little 3 title, huge game for Nescac seeding, and Pool C implications for both teams.  Should be a fun one!

SpringSt7

A couple quick Williams-Trinity notes:

-This game was much closer than the final score would indicate. Williams gradually pulled away at the end but even up 10 with 3 minutes left it still felt neck and neck. It was a great game

-You know you are playing good basketball when you go for 28-6-3 on 8-13 shooting and get the third star of the game but that's the reality for Spencer Spivy right now who has just kind of reached the level where every game you expect him to play well.

-Is there a more disappointing gameday atmosphere in the league than the one at Trinity? The gym lay out makes no sense, it looks empty almost no matter what, and it doesn't seem like they get many students anyways which really makes no sense at a school like Trinity.

SpringSt7

Ephs sweep the CT weekend and clinch a second outright Little Three title in three years with an 80-62 win over Wesleyan.

One word to describe Williams' performance this weekend---Finally! THIS was the team we have been waiting to see honestly all year, as even during non conference play they had not really looked like this. The ball is flying around, a lot of shots are going in yes, but they are getting great looks because of their ball movement, cutting, and just overall confidence and swagger. Nate Karren looked like an All-American this weekend, averaging 17.5-7-7, and the most promising signs were that it was somewhat of a down weekend for Declan Porter and a pretty quiet day for Spencer Spivy relative to his recent form.

Now I was told not to overreact to a few losses so I won't overreact to a few wins either. The reality is that you probably cannot pencil in Cole Prowitt-Smith for 20 a game on 60% shooting the rest of the way nor will the team as a whole shoot 50+% from three either. But they look much more solid and confident as a group right now than they have in a while. Alex Lee had his best game as an Eph today with 11 points off the bench and Evan Glatzer added 11 as well. Brandon Roughley was great on Friday but only played 4 minutes tonight, he will continue to shake the rust off, which will make everyone's lives easier but most noticeably Hudson Hansen's, as he can return to his high energy and slashing role without having to think as much.

19-3 and 6-3 in conference is nothing to scoff at obviously but it sure is exciting to see them playing their best basketball at the right time. They all of a sudden have a shot at the 1 seed, although an unlikely one as Middlebury will have to lose (currently in OT) to both Trinity and Conn. But the doom and gloom is gone---funny how that works!

EDIT: Williams #1 seed hopes are dashed 15 minutes after sending this post as Middlebury hangs on for an OT win at Trinity. They do control their destiny for the 2 seed with a win over Conn.

jumpshot

EPHS complete an outstanding weekend on the road with an 80-62 win over Wesleyan. Guys are playing free and loose with lots of confidence, unselfishness, focus, and effort ... and fun. Coach App's development once again of all members of the team has resulted in excellent depth and enthusiasm. Stay well and keep up the good work.

nescac1

Sobel very clearly double-dribbled before the winning hoop.  I watched pretty closely and I sure didn't see a touch by a Trinity defender. 

Key for Williams today was the two-way play by Glatzer and Lee.  They were stellar on Ravetz and Johnson respectively and had two of their best offensive games to boot.  Go Ephs!

grabtherim

Quote from: nescac1 on February 04, 2023, 04:48:24 PM
Sobel very clearly double-dribbled before the winning hoop.  I watched pretty closely and I sure didn't see a touch by a Trinity defender. 

Key for Williams today was the two-way play by Glatzer and Lee.  They were stellar on Ravetz and Johnson respectively and had two of their best offensive games to boot.  Go Ephs!
I beg to differ.  I watched pretty closely as well, as did the refs and Cosgrove who was in their ears the whole game and he didnt make a peep on the biggest play of the game.  The ball was touched.  Midd escaped after a very good effort by Trinity especially on Sobel.  It happens.  Go Panthers! 

Hamilton4

Hamilton now controls their own destiny for the 1 seed in the nescac tournament! Great weekend so far!!

names jaismith

Hamilton has a clear path to an 8-2 finish. They should be heavy favorites vs Conn at home and Bowdoin away. Only Colby on the road should be troublesome, but iF Hamilton defends the three point line, they will win.  That will get them to 17-7, but they will likely need at least two tournament wins to get an NCAA bid. There are some great wins but some real blemishes in that 7, too.

On other fronts, the last few tournament spots will not be decided until next weekend.  Too many possibilities to count out anyone other than Bates and Bowdoin (who put a scare into Tufts).

Mystery team, hands down, is Amherst.  Size and ability, for sure.  Continuity and unity, only sometimes.  Still they can get in as well. 

Should be a great last weekend of the regular season.

toad22

I just returned from Wesleyan, and I don't have too much to add about the dominant Williams weekend other than I am so pleased for the Ephs. They suffered through a couple really down games, and plenty of doubts from pundits across D3. I do think this version of the Ephs is the real one. I look forward to see how far they can go.

Middfan

Quote from: nescac1 on February 04, 2023, 04:48:24 PM

Regarding Sobel's alleged double dribble, having attended Saturday's game I'll simply add that the official was just over the end line with a close and direct view of the play.  Wesleyan players did not complain.

nescac1

I certainly could be wrong on Sobel.  If so, my bad.  The broadcasters were surprised too, but may be that from the angle of the broadcast it just could not be seen as too many bodies were involved in the play.  Trinity certainly had plenty of time left after the play in all events and could not get a decent attempt, much like the end of regulation when not only did they not get an attempt at all, but turned the ball over leading to a heave by Osher which missed by probably an inch.  Would have been a more elegant ending! 

So the first seed is down to Midd and Hamilton. Three wins is no easy task for Hamilton as nothing can be assumed in ANY NESCAC game.  Lots of hard to reconcile results.  Bates is I think out of the tourney but Amherst, Trinity, Bowdoin and Colby are still battling for two spots in the tourney.  Amherst, Colby or Trinity would not be a fun draw for any top seeded team.  If McGowan remains out for Bowdoin it will be a tough task for them to pull it out, but a win v Amherst might do it, depending on tie breakers, if Colby loses two.  Certainly possible playing at home. 

names jaismith

Conn has four wins but isn't safely in either.  Hard to see them winning at Hamilton, or at home vs the the other two in the top three.  They hold the tie breaker over Trinity, but Colby holds the tie breaker over them.    I cannot see Amherst beating Colby on the road, but an Hamilton/Colby matchup on the last Saturday where Hamilton needs to win to get home court and Colby needs to win just to get in would be a tossup.