WBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletics Association

Started by MJA, February 24, 2005, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pointlem

Quote from: TUAngola on August 16, 2022, 06:25:11 PM
A couple of youtube videos chronicling Trine's run to the Elite Eight and Final Four last season.  The first link is for the the Elite Eight and the second link for the Final Four.  Trine University did a wonderful job putting these videos together.  The locker room talk by Coach Rang after the Hope game made me teary eyed.  Shows how much love there is in this program.  They are longer vidoes but well worth the view if you are fan of D3 basketball, MIAA basketball, Hope and Trine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbT5YukrB4w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-1AmmkT9Is
Thanks, TUAngola . . . beautifully done . . . and Coach Rang and his team did Trine proud, right up to the locker room end.

TUAngola

Trine WBB Coach Andy Rang won the Fort Wayne Senior City Golf Tournament with back to back 71s for an even par 142.  A man of many talents!  ;D

TUAngola

Trine 2022-23 WBB roster is up. 

https://trinethunder.com/sports/wbkb/2022-23/roster

Going to be a year of change for the Thunder.  Top 4 scorers have all gradulated: Tara, Kayla, Kelsey & Rachel, all played major roles all 4 years of their time at Trine.  My projected starters for this year are:  Senior G Makayla Ardis (returning starter), Senior F Katie Sloneker (returning starter), Senior F Sam Underhill, Senior G Alyssa Argyle and Senior F Sophie Sloneker.  First ones off the bench:  Soph G Sydney Wagner, Soph G Sierra Hinds, Junior G Chelsea Giesige (injured most of last year), Soph G Katie Tate (transfer from Travecca Nazarene Univ), Fresh F Abby Sanner, and Fresh F Alexis Snodgrass.  One gal not returning this year from last year's roster is F Brooke Brauher.  We have good experience with the first five, but other than Sydney the second five will all be 'green' and will need to produce to allow Coach Rang to run his usual platoon system.     

Looking forward to the new team, will be interesting to see how they develop.  Obviously won't be a top 25 team after losing so much production from last year, but will probably start out in the pre-season top 25 based on last year's run to the Final Four.

Would love to hear about Hope's team this year from you fellow board posters out there...who is returning, who you think will be 1st five and 2nd five, or any newcomers who will get minutes. 

Roundball999

Quote from: TUAngola on October 24, 2022, 05:34:43 PM

Going to be a year of change for the Thunder.  Top 4 scorers have all gradulated: Tara, Kayla, Kelsey & Rachel, all played major roles all 4 years of their time at Trine.  My projected starters for this year are:  Senior G Makayla Ardis (returning starter), Senior F Katie Sloneker (returning starter), Senior F Sam Underhill, Senior G Alyssa Argyle and Senior F Sophie Sloneker.  First ones off the bench:  Soph G Sydney Wagner, Soph G Sierra Hinds, Junior G Chelsea Giesige (injured most of last year), Soph G Katie Tate (transfer from Travecca Nazarene Univ), Fresh F Abby Sanner, and Fresh F Alexis Snodgrass.  One gal not returning this year from last year's roster is F Brooke Brauher.  We have good experience with the first five, but other than Sydney the second five will all be 'green' and will need to produce to allow Coach Rang to run his usual platoon system.     

Looking forward to the new team, will be interesting to see how they develop.  Obviously won't be a top 25 team after losing so much production from last year, but will probably start out in the pre-season top 25 based on last year's run to the Final Four.

Would love to hear about Hope's team this year from you fellow board posters out there...who is returning, who you think will be 1st five and 2nd five, or any newcomers who will get minutes. 

Hope's roster is up too.  I don't know much about the newcomers but quite a few familiar names among the returners.  They include Meg Morehouse (5.8 ppg); Claire Baguley (6.8); Ella McKinney (8.8); Kate Majerus (6.7); and Savannah Feenstra (9.2, missed end of year and postseason due to knee) as well as several others with experience from last year.  This should make a pretty strong nucleus but as with most teams, the newcomers will determine a lot.  One interesting transfer looks to be guard Carlee Crabtree from Central Michigan.  She didn't play much for the Chippewas but was 4-time all state and 4-time all county first team coming out of high school.  Karsen Karlblom was an Illinois 3A Honorable Mention who reportedly racked up some big numbers and 3 pointers at Prairie Ridge in IL.  There's some height with (6) 6-footers and most of the guards are pretty good sized too.  Don't know much else but it looks like this is a promising group.

TUAngola

Quote from: Roundball999 on October 24, 2022, 07:33:52 PM
Quote from: TUAngola on October 24, 2022, 05:34:43 PM

Hope's roster is up too.  I don't know much about the newcomers but quite a few familiar names among the returners.  They include Meg Morehouse (5.8 ppg); Claire Baguley (6.8); Ella McKinney (8.8); Kate Majerus (6.7); and Savannah Feenstra (9.2, missed end of year and postseason due to knee) as well as several others with experience from last year.  This should make a pretty strong nucleus but as with most teams, the newcomers will determine a lot.  One interesting transfer looks to be guard Carlee Crabtree from Central Michigan.  She didn't play much for the Chippewas but was 4-time all state and 4-time all county first team coming out of high school.  Karsen Karlblom was an Illinois 3A Honorable Mention who reportedly racked up some big numbers and 3 pointers at Prairie Ridge in IL.  There's some height with (6) 6-footers and most of the guards are pretty good sized too.  Don't know much else but it looks like this is a promising group.

I watched Carlee's Hudl senior highlight video.  Wow, she has game, can shoot it from 3 and get to the rim with ease.  Didn't realize she is from Coldwater which is just a short trip north over the state line from Angola.  Her brother Ethan is a freshman on the Hope men's team so there is a Crabtree on both rosters.  Couple more Indiana girls on the Hope roster this year, with one from right here in Angola in Lauren Leach.  Overall it looks like your freshman class is very talented.  I know Trine offered not only Lauren, but also Keegan Kaiser from Floyd Central HS IN and Lina Rea from Utica HS MI 

sac

Carlee Crabtree committed pretty early to Central Michigan, I won't pretend to know her recruiting process but in an article about her commitment to CMU she mentioned Ball St and WMU.  Happy to have both Crabtree's at Hope.

The 3 player Freshmen class she was a part of at CMU which received a lot of hype for their 1st year coach have all transferred away from Mt. Pleasant.  CMU finished last season with just 9 players, only have 11 this year.

AlwaysHope

F Abi Tarrant did not play much last year, but I thought she showed potential when she did.  Came highly rated, but not on the roster this year.  Anyone know why?

TUAngola

Trine WBB has added an exhibition game against Hillsdale College at home on Friday Nov 4.

Riley Zayas

Quote from: AlwaysHope on October 27, 2022, 03:20:46 PM
F Abi Tarrant did not play much last year, but I thought she showed potential when she did.  Came highly rated, but not on the roster this year.  Anyone know why?

Thought that was interesting as well. As far as I can find, she has not transferred to another basketball program, and her IG still says "Hope WBB '25"...so I have no idea. Thought she might see more playing time this season, but there are more factors in a player's decision to return or not that go beyond just playing time.
Proverbs 21:31. D3hoops.com WBB Top 25 voter. On the UMHB beat as the managing editor of TrueToTheCru.com, covering everything in CRU athletics. Read my blog, The Scoop on D3 Women's Hoops. Find it on the D3hoops.com Daily Dose.

Flying Dutch Fan

Preseason Top 25 is out:

https://www.d3hoops.com/top25/women/2022-23/preseason

Hope is #1, Trine #8.  Be really interesting to see how both squads do considering their graduation losses.

In preconference play, Hope has probable matchups (dependent on tournament winners/losers) with ORV IWU, and #13 UW Eau Claire the first two weekends (both tournaments hosted by Hope).  They also will play ORV Wis. Lutheran at home on Nov 22
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

TUAngola

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on October 31, 2022, 03:48:20 PM
Preseason Top 25 is out:

Hope is #1, Trine #8.  Be really interesting to see how both squads do considering their graduation losses.

In preconference play, Hope has probable matchups (dependent on tournament winners/losers) with ORV IWU, and #13 UW Eau Claire the first two weekends (both tournaments hosted by Hope).  They also will play ORV Wis. Lutheran at home on Nov 22

Trine with an equally tough non-con schedule.  Plays #12 Baldwin Wallace, #13 UW-Eau Claire, ORV Wartburg, and possibly ORV DePauw.  Rest of schedule is solid too, Ohio Northern and Otterbein are very good, Benedictine as well.

In the conference I see Hope as the prohibitive favorite.  Albion returns most everyone.  Calvin has Gabby Timmer coming back for a 5th year.  My sleeper team will be Alma, they gave us fits last year.

HOPEful

Preseason Top 25 is out:

Hope is #1, Trine #8.  Be really interesting to see how both squads do considering their graduation losses...

Kate returning for a fifth year is huge for Hope, but #1 feels very lofty considering they lost arguably their 3 best players.  A starting rotation of Meg, Ella, Claire, Kate, and Savannah is certainly worthy of being in the top 10, but if I were a voter, I'd have NYU #1 returning everyone, Transylvania #2 returning 4 of their 5 starters from last year, and Whitewater #3 returning Grundahl.

Gone is the ability to run teams out of the gym through whole line changes and playing 10 players deep. It will be weird to see Hope players tired in the fourth quarter :)
Let's go Dutchmen!

2015-2016 1-&-Done Tournament Fantasy League Co-Champion

Roundball999

Quote from: HOPEful on November 01, 2022, 08:35:24 AM
Preseason Top 25 is out:

Hope is #1, Trine #8.  Be really interesting to see how both squads do considering their graduation losses...

Kate returning for a fifth year is huge for Hope, but #1 feels very lofty considering they lost arguably their 3 best players.  A starting rotation of Meg, Ella, Claire, Kate, and Savannah is certainly worthy of being in the top 10, but if I were a voter, I'd have NYU #1 returning everyone, Transylvania #2 returning 4 of their 5 starters from last year, and Whitewater #3 returning Grundahl.

Gone is the ability to run teams out of the gym through whole line changes and playing 10 players deep. It will be weird to see Hope players tired in the fourth quarter :)

I agree.  The only wildcard would be if Hope's newcomers are better than everyone else's newcomers and can make an immediate large impact.  There seems to be some interesting incoming talent but I don't know enough to think they would be quite that impactful.  But the respect is nice.

HOPEful

Quote from: Roundball999 on November 01, 2022, 08:56:01 AM
I agree.  The only wildcard would be if Hope's newcomers are better than everyone else's newcomers and can make an immediate large impact.  There seems to be some interesting incoming talent but I don't know enough to think they would be quite that impactful.  But the respect is nice.

For sure. A repeat national championship is obviously the goal and should be. But the unknowns for Hope going into this season are much greater than the unknowns for NYU and Transylvania. There are a ton of reasons to believe Hope can make a deep run yet again this season. But I would argue that it's final four or bust for NYU, Transylvania, and Whitewater. If I'm tiering my rankings, those three are tier 1 and tier 2 is Trinity, CNU, Smith, Amherst, and Hope. If I were a voter, I'd have Trinity 4, CNU 5, and Hope 6. I don't have Scranton on that list, because they're losing Abby Anderson. I don't have Trine because they're losing Tara. But like Hope, both those teams have reasons to be very optimistic this season.

Let's go Dutchmen!

2015-2016 1-&-Done Tournament Fantasy League Co-Champion

ronk

Quote from: HOPEful on November 01, 2022, 10:10:42 AM
Quote from: Roundball999 on November 01, 2022, 08:56:01 AM

For sure. A repeat national championship is obviously the goal and should be. But the unknowns for Hope going into this season are much greater than the unknowns for NYU and Transylvania. There are a ton of reasons to believe Hope can make a deep run yet again this season. But I would argue that it's final four or bust for NYU, Transylvania, and Whitewater. If I'm tiering my rankings, those three are tier 1 and tier 2 is Trinity, CNU, Smith, Amherst, and Hope. If I were a voter, I'd have Trinity 4, CNU 5, and Hope 6. I don't have Scranton on that list, because they're losing Abby Anderson. I don't have Trine because they're losing Tara. But like Hope, both those teams have reasons to be very optimistic this season.
Scranton picks up an all-regional grad xfer Samantha Rajza but loses their low post starter with an injury. Would have them ~ #10 before the injury, probably ~ #20 afterwards.