BB: SUNYAC

Started by Ralph Turner, January 19, 2007, 02:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoomerIL

Buffalo has about a foot.

Rochester has about 6-8 inches.

Oswego, are you ready for this, has 5-6 feet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    :o    Yes, feet!!!!!!  There supposed to get another 2-3 feet within the next week.  At least thats what the weather guys have told us here in the Windy City.
"You observe alot by watching"  -  Yogi Berra

hitforthecycle

Thanks for the warm welcome Bob!  I too am looking forward to discussions surrounding this upcoming season.  I think the SUNYAC will be very competitive this year and am ready for the games to begin.  Here are my predictions for the conference:

1. Cortland
2. Brockport
3. Plattsburgh
4. New Paltz
5. Oneonta
6. Oswego
7. Fredonia
8. SUNYIT

I think Brockport will be decent but they have quite a bit of offense to replace although I believe that their pitching depth will help them quite a bit and ultimately be their strength to challenge Cortland.  Also, I noticed that they are playing quite a competitive schedule which should help them for post season consideration.  Final thought, my sleeper is New Paltz!  I just have a gut feeling that they wil be a bit more competitive than seasons past.   

Bob Maxwell

John,

You were joking about the Buffalo State winning it?   LOL, thanks for the chuckle...

It depends where you are in NY... Oswego may not play this year as they have 100 inches of snow!  And no schedule for this year (at least not on their web page...)

;)

Cycle,

Always glad to see another opinion... as long as it agrees with mine!   ;)

What team in the conference do you follow?

I get all jumbled up when I try to put together a prediction... there are so many considerations. 

CORTLAND: I think that theyhave  to be the favorite just from past hisory... althought they've lost a lot.  With all the pitching back they still have to be the favorite.  They have some departures to fill in their infiled and batting order... but still have some tough bats in the lineup.  Bashnight coming back makes their outfield solid with him, Maycock and the transfer from Oswego, Coromato.

BROCKPORT: should be right there with them... They've been the one team (at least in the playoffs) that has beaten them.  And the games during the season last year were vey close and could have gone either way.  As cycle points out, they have some departures to fill too, they lost some esperienced hitters, but they have some talented young guys who showed they can play back... and they may be better hitters then the guys who left.  Time will tell on that... as they will now play a regular roll.  They (like Cortland) also have back all their pitching from last year..

I have a hard time figuring out 3-6:
PLATTSBURGH is young and talented... and has been improving annually.  What impact will losing Hoffman have on their pitching staff.  Also, Waldron will be missed... what have they picked up to compliment their talented young team?  We will see in the March games... they will be dangerous.

ONEONTA has been number 2 for the last 2 years, but couldn't get over the Cortland hump.  They didn't lose much from last years team, but what will losing Salamida mean to their staff?  Will someone emerge who can throw Salamida's innings and to support Weber in the starting rotation?  Also, this is the second year in a row that they lost a top catcher... is there a third one in the mix somewhere?  They have a lot back, and will compete for the playoffs... can they stay in the #2 spot or drop off?

NEW PALTZ: they may be the surprise team... but will have to have everyone have a best year to do so.  Have they found a bat to replace Kelts so that DeKams has some help?  They need to find some front line pitchers... 3 new freshamn pitchers, will the contribute right away?  Donohue and Stith show they are good pitchers, and will probably be 1-2 in the rotation... Who will the other starters be?  A lot of question marks... but then I guess everyone has a lot of them at this time of year.

FREDONIA:  I like them this year... they have some new young guys who may come through for them.  If one or two of these young pitchers produce, they may sneak into 4th place.  They have several guys who can hit... and I think that Murphy may surprise with his bat this year.  The questionhere will be can the young pitching step up and complete with the top teams daily?

OSWEGO:
The loss of Cormato may hurt them a lot... with out a roster up to see who is back and how many new guys its tough to say.  They have been in the middle of the pack for the past several years, I don't want to say they won't be there as coach Paino has proven in the past he can produce competative teams.  Adn they do have several starters returning... I think.  Seeing the roster will help.  I think they will surprise some teams on the field this year, like they did Cortland last year.  Will it happen enought to make the 4th spot?  Time will tell...

SUNYIT:  They have a lot of spots to upgrade... I don't think they can fill them all in one year.  I haven't seen their roster, so I don't know who is coming back.. or is new.  But for the same reason I have Cortland #1, I have them #8.... past history.  They may surprise... but from last year, they have a lot of upgrading to do to get in the playoffs.  But you never know...

OK, John tell me what I've missed here.... 

;D

John McGraw

I think New Paltz gets the rub this season because they have a new coach. Mike Juhl did a good job with the program but he's now moved on.

Marist grad Matt Griffiths is the just-hired skipper at New Paltz. Well, he was hired last July so he's been in place for a while.

Having worked in the MAAC and knowing the type of players Marist produces, I think Coach Griffiths is going to bring a winning attitute to Campbell Field. Though the way Marist has gone through head coaches the last few years, he might be the boss in Poughkeepsie before the decade's out.

It'll be tough in the first year for him but in the long run, this change will help. Next year will be the telling point since this season he'll be playing with all of Coach Juhl's kids. But freshman don't come in and dominate right away so it could be a few years. New Paltz has to be willing to wait things out rather than looking for the quick win.

With the pack pretty much even in the conference after the top three, New Paltz could finish anywhere from four to eight.

I don't think anyone other than Cortland, Brockport and Plattsburgh will crack the top three. Oneonta has the best chance to get in the top three or four. Maybe flip Oneonta and Plattsburgh at three-four but they're still better than everyone not named Cortland and Brockport.

hitforthecycle

Bob, I must say that I'm impressed with your knowledge of the conference!  My nephew played for Oneonta several years back and I try to catch as many games as I can, time permitting.  However, I assume that besides attending your son's games the internet is your biggest tool when it comes to researching teams not only in the SUNYAC but around the country.   I agree with your assessment of the top two teams in the SUNYAC (Cortland and Brockport).  However, I think both teams success along with Oneonta will be largely dependent upon the success of their transfers and freshman.  All three programs probably have the highest transfer rate in the conference for whatever reason it may be.   Until the season begins and these transfers and freshman have their roles defined they can obviously be considered x-factors.  In no way am I Pro-Cortland but I do believe that Cortland recruits very well and is very appealing to many transfers.  Also, Cortland makes the most of what talent they have returning and somehow always finds talented transfers to fill losses from the previous season.  They don't rebuild but rather reload as the saying goes.  Depthwise, Brockport has more holes to fill than Cortland in my opinion because I don't believe that Brockport was two deep at every position like Cortland seemed to be last year.

Bob Maxwell

Looks like we are all in agreement on the top 2 or 3... and that a couple of teams may jump into the mix if the stars line up right for them.  It is fun to hot stove and speculate. but the real thing on the field is where teams have to perform, no matter what we think.

It will be an interesting year... and the new guys will be a big part of what happens.

Cycle, your right, I am at sons games and follow the season on the webpages to keep up with what is happening throughout the conference and around the country... by the way, Chapman looks very strong, 6-0 and they are hitting and pitching very well...

Cortland does seem to get a lot of transfers to fill holes.  I think there will be a few surprises from guys at some others schools we don't know about yet that may shake up the conference season.  Cortland has to be given the favorites position... regardless if they do fill all the spots opened up by departures, their pitching has to be respected. 

I think Brockport did lose a lot, the big one being Schwegler behind the plate.  However, I think that they've got a couple new guys who will step in and perform... and they did have several young guys who showed they can play.  The question with them is can they perform at the same level playing every day?  Time will tell... if they do, they will be very competative with anyone.

As is always the case, pitching is key... Cortland and Brockport both have virtually their entire pitching staffs back from last year, with a couple of new additions each...   Oneonta and Plattsburgh each lost their ace from last year.  If they are able to have someone from the rotation step up and fill those innings they will each be tough again.

Could the SUNYAC tournament end up with the same four teams again for a third year in a row?  Or will New Paltz react well to the new coach... or Fredonia's young pitchers show enough to push them up?  Or has Oswego brought in some new guys we don't know about to fill their needs?   and one of those three crash the tournament party?

I think John hit the nail on the head when he said:
"I don't think anyone other than Cortland, Brockport and Plattsburgh will crack the top three. Oneonta has the best chance to get in the top three or four. Maybe flip Oneonta and Plattsburgh at three-four but they're still better than everyone not named Cortland and Brockport."  But we still ahve to play the games... and anything can happen once the first pitch is thrown!

It will be a fun year!
Again...

Cycle, If your at the games, say hello when Brockport visits Oneonta in April...  we will be there!  just ask any of the other BP parents who we are.

Anyone else want to chip in with their thoughts? 
The fun and games start in 11 days!!!

Bob Maxwell

No ohter opinions on how the season may unfold?

Anyone have insights as to any new players on a particular team?

Humpster

Hey i'm new so take it easy on me. I do like Cortland being on top, but i
like Plattsburgh ahead of Brockport. 

Spree

looks like there are quite a few new players for the top tier teams in the SUNYACS as well as E8...ive been following section v high school baseball (Rochester Area) so i have a pretty good idea of local talent some teams have picked up.

I do like your guys order of SUNYAC teams:
1) Cortland
2) Brockport - probably the most improved team from last season in SUNY
3) Oneonta
4) Plattsburgh or New Paltz

Cortland got a couple of good guys from last years Section V class.  Andy Gardner is a great hitting catcher.  His bat can find away in the lineup.  They still have Zaccardo though.  Also, Carney.  Section V career strikeout leader.  Came from a small school though.  We'll see how he does.  I thought Basnight was a senior last year.  I wasnt expecting him to be on the team this yr.  Great leadoff guy.  Also heard that the closer Mattes, is out for the season with an injury.  Could be a big loss.  He was their flame thrower.

Brockport- one great addition i think people are missing is Jamie Rose who transferred from LeMoyne.  Ive heard hes in Brockport now, not exactly sure if thats true or not though.  He started almost every game in his 2 years at LeMoyne, not exactly sure why he would transfer to Brockport, but a great pick up.  Good stick, great arm, and can run.

Not really sure about the other teams in SUNYAC, but I dont think they have a shot finishing in the Top 2. 

The team that I really think has a shot to dethrone Cortland is Ithaca.  Great returning players, and rumor has it picked up some DI transfers.  Great depth on the mound.  Didnt lose any pitching from the year before. 

Fisher could also be decent.  They never have any pitching to get them anywhere though.  Great offense could make them tough to beat.  I believe Fetzner is coming back this year after red-shirting last yr due to injury. 

John McGraw

Rose isn't listed on the LeMoyne roster.

I agree, that's kind of an odd move to make, if he indeed is at Brockport. He's originally from Hornell so it's not like he's closer to home, well, technically yes but still a decent ways away. He played at LeMoyne too. He wasn't sitting on the bench.

If he is at Brockport, I don't think he's that much of a difference maker. The Golden Eagles still need to be bolstered by their pitching, since thats how they made their run in 2004. Sure, they'll probably score a bit more this year, but the key is the pitching.

Spree

Rose used to pitch in HS.  Threw hard from what I remember.  Mid to upper 80's.  Maybe the transition to the D3 level could find him pitching again. 

Also, I find it a joke that Plattsburgh has 6 kids on the players to watch list.  Seriously are you kidding me.  What has Plattsburgh done in recent years?  Teams like Ithaca and Cortland only got 2-3 guys on the list.  How can Plattsburgh get 6.  Those 6 guys better carry them to the regionals for once.

How can you leave Smith from Ithaca off the list?  And I believe they got Wolf who transferred from UB.  Left handed pitchers are hard to come by and they make a big difference on any level. 

Im sure theres other guys on Cortland that are deserving as well.  Also, Rose should definately be on that list if in fact he did transfer.  He hit .300 at LeMoyne.  Whats he going to do against mediocre pitching in D3?

Spree

BoomerIL,

is the catcher from MCC you are referring to, Sullivan by any chance?

Good kid...seen him play a couple times back in HS.  Looks like he had a good year last yr at MCC.  Unfortunately, I heard he is out for the season with a sports hernia.

d3fan039

Sunyac Predictions

1.Cortland
2.Brockport
3.Plattsburgh
4.New Paltz
5.Oneonta
6.Fredonia
7.Oswego
8.SunyIT

d3fan039

so what the chances someone other than cortland host the sunyacs this year? Or are we heading back to Wallace Field? Cortland has won 9 outta the last 10 titles and seem to be too dominate for their conference foes.

Cortland- Looks to be loaded once. Dougher arguably one of the best righties in the country and emerging southpaw Jweid should form a potent 1-2. Offensively they will feel the wraths of losing (Groff,Mead,Piovesan)...but dont worry much firepower returns with the likes of (Maycock,Robinson,Basnight) to name a few.

Brockport-Returns almost all their pitching from a year ago......but will the depth be their. Offensively (Wilson,Shallo) return to the mix....but other than there are too many question marks to be answered.

Plattsburgh- is a young and upcoming team but is asking several young arms to step up to replace the loss of ace Hoffman. Offensively (kowalski,hughes,coleman) should provide some pop.

New Paltz- My sleeper should benefit from the addition of their new head coach. If the donahue and stith are solid and the can find some offense to help Dekams....theres a chance this team will be playing meaninful baseball come May(something that hasnt happend in several years)

Oneonta- Will have a tough time replacing salimida.....and im not sure bout there offense.....Weber will be one of the top arms in the league but other than that theres a lot of things to be sorted out.

Fredonia- a team looking to take the next step.....must continue to sure up its pitching and defense. Huard returns (all sunyac pitcher) but will need some help if there going to contend for a playoff spot.

Oswego- may have the best offense in the league(loss of Coromato will hurt). If this team can pitch they should find themselves in a lot of games this spring

SunyIt- I believe just has too many pieces to fill.....not seeing their roster doesnt leave me with much to say....however going on years past i dont know if there gonna have enough of anything to get out of the basement.

Bob Maxwell

Hey, its great to see some lively discussion on this page, hope it continues through the season!

So the cat is out of the bag on the transfers... at least these two.

Yes, Wolf is at Ithaca to give them a little more pitching... with all their pitching coming back that is just what they needed, another reliable front line left handed starter... aren't Sottung and Peters both lefties?

And, yes Rose is at Brockport... John, he may be the difference maker, just by being there, but with his presence and experienced bat in the order to go with Wilson and Shallow... some of the young guys who showed they can hit last year will be in a better position to succeed.  They will be a fun team to watch...

Both players will have an impact on not only their conferences, but on the region too.

And Spree, your absolutely correct on the 6 players from Plattsburgh making the players to watch list... with some of the others who were mentioned (and some who were not) from other schools being left off the list.   I don't want to say the plattsburgh 6 aren't talented, as they are all decent players... just not to the level of accomplishment (or potential for that matter) to be ahead of some others who were left off.

On the national topic page, that was a big topic a coulpe weeks ago.. Ithink Plattsburgh had the second most of any team nationally.  you can check the national topics for that.