WBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbald eagle

Insightful, Red. Thanks.

bbald eagle

Catholic U is listing 11 freshmen on a 17 player roster; a new look for a new league  ;D
http://www.cuacardinals.com/sports/wbkb/2007-08/roster

cacfan2

11 Freshmen.  Did she clean house ???  Did she need to?

bbald eagle

CUA graduated 3 of its 4 top players of last season. They liked to shoot 3s, but those players graduated. Several others haven't returned but I don't know why. Linderoth is the returning impact player. CUA will be a young team this year - no seniors. It looks like a rebuilding year which isn't too great a prospect since they only reached mediocrity in the CAC last year. Maybe they will find Landmark more to their liking.

saratoga

The Lady Royals pull one out last evening. How do you replace 70% of your scoring? Who will want the ball in crunch time? It may take 1/3 of the season for these things to play out. Two pretty dry years of recruiting have now left the Lady Royals both senior & freshman heavy with virtually zero experience in between. The good news is that all the seniors have a wealth of playing time...the unknown factor is how well the freshman can make the adjustment & contribute.

roy_a

Saratoga..Interesting questions....The one player in between the Seniors and the Frosh is Ryan Mooney, one of our best defensive recruits in years. How do you replace 70% of your scoring???? Tough to answer that one but keep in mind the gals who backed up Taryn and Allison wouyd have started for 80% of the teams we played over the last 2 years, so the cupboard is far from empty. Their roles are now different so it should indeed be interesting. Also, the return of 6'3" Molly Klusek will be invalueable.

See ya in 2 weeks......

cuabigdog

The Catholic University women's basketball team (2-0) used a second half comeback to get the 60-56 victory over the Rutgers-Newark Scarlet Raiders (1-1) at the host's preseason tournament Saturday afternoon.

Sophomore Kate Robinson (Emmitsburg, Md./Catoctin High School) hit a layup to open the second half but that would be as close as the Cards would come for awhile as Rutgers-Newark charged out of the gates taking a 15-point lead at 16:28. Just minutes later, however, CUA finally got on track and used a total team effort to go on a 8-0 run of its own to cut the lead to three. At 9:34 Christina Rogers (Monmouth Beach, N.J./Red Bank Catholic) made two layups in a row to take the lead for the first time since early in the opening half. From that point on it was anybody's game but with three minutes left Linderoth sank a jumper to give the Cards the lead which they managed to hold onto for the 60-56 win.

Schiavoni led all scorers with 17 points and Peterson added 13. Linderoth scored eight points and posted as many boards. The Cardinals were accuate from the field in the second half as they shot 66.7 percent from three and 55.6 percent from the floor.
Juniors Kristen Linderoth (Spring Lake, N.J./Red Bank Catholic) and Jessica Schiavoni (Winchester, Va./John Handley) were both named all tournament after a pair of outstanding performances this weekend.

The Cards will open up at the DuFour Center with a game versus Trinity (D.C.) on Wednesday at 1 p.m.

CUA 2001 NCAA  DIII Basketball National Champions

CardinalRed

I just want to start by saying this year will not be in any way a rebuilding effort for the CUA Womens Basketball team. Albeit they have 11 freshman, these freshman showed great composure satuday night in Rutgers.The team started slow against a more athletic Rutgers-Newark team. Catholic was bigger and stronger and took that to their advantage. They forced R.N. to shoot from the outside, which is their strong point, but in the end Catholic was getting hands in their faces on the outside while still dominating down low. After sophmore standout Justine Gray went down after going up for a lay up and landing awkwardly on her knee, freshman guard Christina Rogers stepped up to take control. The Juniors on this Catholic team are playing like seniors. Jessica Schiavoni (Tournament MVP) has continued to improve since her freshman year. She has stepped up as a team captain and leader. Kristen Linderoth is back and has also stepped up as a leader. The sophmores are playing like juniors. Justine Gray is the third captain and an emotional leader on and off the court. Her injury may affect the Lady Cards but it is uncertain whether or not it is serious. Kate Robinson is back in form and is starting off her sophmore year the way she ended her sensational freshman year. This team may look young on paper, but in no way do i believe this is a "Rebuilding" year. I fully expect this Cardinal team to challenge the best of the Landmark Conference this year.

TheGrove

Susquehanna wins its own Pepsi/Weis Markets Tip-Off Tournament, 55-53 over Elmira. Not bad for a young team.

Sophomore transfer Ashley Watkins made the All-Tourney team and senior Ruth Williamson was MVP.

saratoga

Under the category of "Are You Freakin Kidding Me"...Scranton women lose to Moraivan at home. Not a clue on offense, too many reach in fouls that put the Greyhounds on the line & not nearly enough playing time for their best 3 point shooter & outside threat. On the other hand... great game plan by Mary Beth. Who says good coaches arn't worth at least 5 points for their team??? As I've stated before, two straight years of non-recruiting, the lack of bringing in a true point guard two years ago to study under Allie & coaches that are aggressive & understand the game & are GREAT recruiters are currently having their way with the Lady Royals. It certainly may get worse before it even gets close to being better. On Friday vs. Hamilton...I see Hamilton winning by 10. When was the last time I ever even entertained the notion the Lady Royals were the underdog? At HOME??? Tonights game set Scranton basketball back 25 years...if not more. By the way, this will now officially end Scranton's reign of being in the TOP 25 since the Neolithic era.

NEPAFAN

Quote from: saratoga on December 05, 2007, 12:00:07 AM
I see Hamilton winning by 10. When was the last time I ever even entertained the notion the Lady Royals were the underdog? At HOME??? Tonights game set Scranton basketball back 25 years...if not more. By the way, this will now officially end Scranton's reign of being in the TOP 25 since the Neolithic era.

I can't tell if this is a joke or note..............please tell me it is... ???
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

bbald eagle

Quote from: CardinalRed on November 18, 2007, 11:27:25 AM
I just want to start by saying this year will not be in any way a rebuilding effort for the CUA Womens Basketball team. . . . This team may look young on paper, but in no way do i believe this is a "Rebuilding" year. I fully expect this Cardinal team to challenge the best of the Landmark Conference this year.

After seeing them play Mary Washington last night, I still think it is a rebuilding year. That's not a slight, just a description. Linderoth is the experience and the strength. The freshmen are talented but freshmen. The coach has dropped the shoot 3s all night approach and is playing more aggressively and wide open with this bunch. They started 3 frosh and the first 2 off the bench were also freshmen. They played hard but didn't shoot well. There is a good future in store if they stay together for 4 years but this season is rebuilding. I don't know the strength of Landmark, but Catholic would be in the middle of the pack in the CAC.

CardinalRed

Quote from: bbald eagle on December 08, 2007, 10:49:35 AM
Quote from: CardinalRed on November 18, 2007, 11:27:25 AM
I just want to start by saying this year will not be in any way a rebuilding effort for the CUA Womens Basketball team. . . . This team may look young on paper, but in no way do i believe this is a "Rebuilding" year. I fully expect this Cardinal team to challenge the best of the Landmark Conference this year.

After seeing them play Mary Washington last night, I still think it is a rebuilding year. That's not a slight, just a description. Linderoth is the experience and the strength. The freshmen are talented but freshmen. The coach has dropped the shoot 3s all night approach and is playing more aggressively and wide open with this bunch. They started 3 frosh and the first 2 off the bench were also freshmen. They played hard but didn't shoot well. There is a good future in store if they stay together for 4 years but this season is rebuilding. I don't know the strength of Landmark, but Catholic would be in the middle of the pack in the CAC.

I still disagree with the rebuilding description. I said that the Lady Cards were not a rebuilding team before we lost another starter, Kate Robinson. Mary Wash is a good team, to an extent. Kristen Linderoth outplayed the All-American, Liz Hickey. In fact, Hickey should have fouled out with 5:00 mins left. The C.A.C. officials gave it to another player, who was behind the foul. We started three freshmen because we have lost starting point guard Justine Gray and starting G/F Kate Robinson to injuries.
       I also would like to add the show that MWU puts on after a game is completely disgraceful and disrespectful. The team, instructed by Coach Deena Applebury, joins at mid-court, on top of the Cardinal, and tries to chant their mascot name "Eagles." I'm sure this happens after every game and I am okay with it if they are at HOME in Fredericksburg. You don't pull that kind of stunt on the road. I do not know Coach Applebury on a personal level and will not pass judgment on her, but if she thinks because she's ranked number one in the nation she can disregard respect and rules she needs to be told differently.  Representing the CAC like that on the road will get you alot of enemies and I think she should re-think the ways she celebrates her wins. It's a shame that she ruined the game with a classless act like that and I think it is unfortunate that these two will probably not play each other for awhile. I wish that CUA will play the Eagles next when MWU is "Rebuilding" so they can show what real respect is. I would like to add that standing up for the CUA name and all it stands for shows the integrity that Coach Carey has in not letting Coach Applebury's team celebrate on the logo. Catholic has 10 freshman and they do not need to see some other team celebrating on their logo.
     Finally the point I want to end with is one I stated earlier.  Kristen Linderoth out-played UMW's All-Americans and deserves to get recognition for that. Linderoth is a tremendous player and IS an All-American. To battle back from a knee injury and get back to the level of the play was at before the injury (and surpassing that level to the highest play she has showed in two years) is simply remarkable. I hope she gets the recognition in the weeks and months to come.
     Good Luck to the Mens and Women Cardinals next week as they both play Villa Julie. GO CARDS!

bbald eagle

Wow.

Maybe its a "developmental" or "growing" year for CUA more than a "rebuilding" season?

I thought Linderoth played extremely well - she is the strength of the team - but the CUA frosh post covered Hickey more than she did, and they did a good job except on the base line, which the CUA coach pointed out more than once. If Linderoth plays like that the entire year, you'll have a good case she's an All-American.

The refs did a lousy job at the end of the game, after it was already decided. Most of the bad calls went in favor of UMW. It looked to me like the refs gave two of Hickey's fouls to other players - and one to her that she hadn't committed. I thought she had fouled out twice. But don't blame it on CAC refs. I don't know if these three also call CAC games but this game was at CUA which hired the refs and I assume contracts for Landmark refs.

After the game, the CUA players left for the locker and the UMW players put their hands together at center court for a cheer. There was no way it was obnoxious. The CUA coach called her players back to center court and demanded that UMW leave - which they did - and then when all the players had gone, she went over to the UMW bench and got in the face of the UMW coach. A big overreaction by the CUA coach in my opinion.

CardinalRed

Yea i agree the refs were bad and that the game was already decided. I do think it is unfortunate that we are still using CAC officials for games between CAC and Landmark teams. As for the postgame, I think if you had heard what Coach Carey was saying and what Coach Applebury was saying you would side with Coach Carey. The cheer at mid court is pointless. Theres simply no reason for it. Some of the things Coach Applebuy said were also pointless and made no sense. Carey was simply defending her team. I dont know how UMW benefits from cheering at mid court, which I believe is against the rules before a game. Not sure about after...