WBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Augie2020

Kate from what I heard is happy at Cabrini,Another former player would be Kelly Lewandowski HC at Salisbury!We will find out in July I think July 6th is closing date.Martin is probably saying the last 7 years I need another Women's Head Coach(so far 2 in 7 years).Amazing Strong at the U for over 3 decades he retires 2 coaches in 7 years all because of the success of that program!

Augie2020

I'm going to throw one other name out there Emily Garner she is from VA played at Lafayette.Head Coach at Trinity?So I have Veronica Nolt Etown,Careido Haverford or Garner Trinity all Head Coaches.Not bad Selection.Ronk have not heard from you besides Ryan but he is coach at PS -Abington?Nepafan have a guess?Toga said Gabby HC Susquehanna or former assistant Taylor Coleman Bucknell.Just trying yo get names circulated

ronk

If it's a current D3 HC, I'll guess Kelly Lewandowski Baskow from Salisbury; don't think she'll ever outrecruit Bill Broderick(CNU) in their conference @ Salisbury and Scranton would be closer to "home" than Salisbury.
  If it's a current D1 assistant, I'll need a little more time to come up with a possibility.

saratoga

To be clear...all I'm saying is I could see both Gabby & Taylor applying for the position.
I am in no way inferring either of them will be the final choice.
However, I will go out on a limb & say there is no way Emily Garner leaves Trinity.
She has put together a really nice team over the past few seasons, has two quality D-1 transfers playing & the NESCAC ROY from a few years back, plus she coaches at a great school in a top tier conference.
Whoever they get better sell the committee on their recruiting ability since DiPillo did very little in the way of bringing in impact players over his 3 years.

saratoga

PS.
The same with Veronica...she's got a great situation at E-town.
She's from there, went to school at the Ville, runs coaching & skills programs throughout the Lancaster/Lebanon area & has a family.
She's set at E-town.

Another possibility to apply...
Former Lady Royal standout & current Asst. Coach at Dartmouth...Meredith Mesaris.

Augie2020

All I will say the Name alone Scranton women basketball sells itself.I understand some people are settled but this job comes once in a lifetime and nothing against other teams but I can see either coach jumping at this opportunity just like if Amherst,Bowdoin,Hope job was open.Like you said Saratoga- Dipillo used this as a jumping stone I think alot of coaches would after what Coach Strong built.So we shall wait again for 3rd Coach in 7 years.What I like is the ladies will be involved in the process!So it closes on the July 6th hopefully have a Head Coach by the end of July!

saratoga

I hope whomever the committee lands on for their choice has head coaching experience that they are bringing to the table.
Scranton should not be a position given to someone without an established resume.
Nor is this position for the faint of heart.  ;)

ronk

Just wondering if the AD may make a directed inquiry to a coach who hasn't applied or is restricted to only those who have applied?

saratoga

I would think the AD looking for a coach would need to receive written permission from the school AD with the coach being sought that a conversation could be held.
Otherwise, I see this as tampering as well as a sure way to get yourself & school blacklisted.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Unless a particular conference has rules about contacting coaches, I think it's all fair game.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Augie2020

Yes agree Ryan -I think talking to another coach from another team  is not tampering.Matter of fact I think today they have agents you  need to talk with them not the coach !I know the NCAA is legit when  it comes to students and coaches talking that is a big no no (Coach Danzing found out the hard way)

ronk

I'm thinking that when Trevor was hired as Scranton's WBB that he was Miseri's MBB HC, had never coached women, and probably never would have thought of applying for the Scranton women's position unless his former AD broached the possibility. But I could be wrong.

gordonmann

Hey, you leave Emily Garner at Trinity alone! I want to see what she can do there! :)

saratoga

Gordon:
She's doing a great job there & looks to be set for the foreseeable future.

Regarding Trevor & Dave...I read an article when they first both came on board that Trevor made the decision to apply for the women's opening before he knew Dave had landed the AD job.
Still say an AD contacting a coach at another school without going through that schools AD is committing a self inflicted wound.
Want to become persona non grata among other AD's, try this & see how well it goes over.

lefty2

Quote from: ronk on June 27, 2022, 12:01:54 AM
I'm thinking that when Trevor was hired as Scranton's WBB that he was Miseri's MBB HC, had never coached women, and probably never would have thought of applying for the Scranton women's position unless his former AD broached the possibility. But I could be wrong.
As Saratoga pointed out, this statement couldn't be more wrong.

The person who says something can't be done shouldn't stand in the way of the one who's doing it.