The Top 10 West Region teams of the D3football.com Era

Started by wildcat11, July 11, 2007, 07:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D O.C.

Wildcat 11 - I am moving that team that just beat LINFIELD and Mount Union on consecutive Saturdays to the top of your list.

What say you?

1. 2004 Linfield (Champs)
2. 2003 SJU (Champs)
3. 1999 PLU (Champs)
4. 2000 SJU (Just a FG away from Champs)
5. 2005 UWW (Beat #1 on the road, Stagg Runner up)
6. 2006 UWW (Great run but felt the '05 team was better)
7. 2005 Linfield (Would have been Stagg Bowl bound if not for UWW)
8. 2002 SJU (Defeated an excellent 'Cat team but fell short to the River Walk QB)
9. 2003 Linfield (Gave the 03 champs their toughest and closest game of the playoffs)
10. 2000 Central  (Great defensive squad and wanted to mix it up a bit)

Goodbye Central.

02 Warhawk

Quote from: D O.C. on December 20, 2009, 03:07:56 PM

Wildcat 11 - I am moving that team that just beat LINFIELD and Mount Union on consecutive Saturdays to the top of your list.

What say you?

2. 2003 SJU (Champs)
3. 1999 PLU (Champs)
8. 2002 SJU (Defeated an excellent 'Cat team but fell short to the River Walk QB)
9. 2003 Linfield (Gave the 03 champs their toughest and closest game of the playoffs)
10. 2000 Central  (Great defensive squad and wanted to mix it up a bit)

Goodbye Central.

"That" team was for sure Whitewater's best ever...I guess that's easy to say since it's the first time they went undefeated.  ;D

BoBo

Time for another re-tooling...saying good-bye to 2003 Linfield...adding 2010 UWW...but just where?  ;)
I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

Ralph Turner

I think that the 2010 UWW team probably fits in at #2.

Just how many quality QB's can one team have, QB's that can execute the offense to win games?

Of course having a Levell Coppage, helps too.

02 Warhawk

Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 20, 2010, 11:26:50 PM
I think that the 2010 UWW team probably fits in at #2.

Just how many quality QB's can one team have, QB's that can execute the offense to win games?

Of course having a Levell Coppage, helps too.

I think the 2009 UWW team was their best team ever. They basically had the same team as 2010, but the 09 team had much more depth at WR, along with an All-American (honorable mention) QB taking the snaps with Blanchard as his back-up. Not to mention the 09 team had the best FG kicker in NCAA history.

When ranking UWW's championship teams, I think it should be the following:

As far as where they fit in this Top 10 list...i'm not sure.

HScoach

as an outsider that only saw them in Salem, I'd rank the UWW teams as follows:

1.  2007
2.  2009
3.  2010
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on December 20, 2009, 07:50:40 PM
Quote from: D O.C. on December 20, 2009, 03:07:56 PM

What say you?

2. 2003 SJU (Champs)
3. 1999 PLU (Champs)
10. 2000 Central  (Great defensive squad and wanted to mix it up a bit)

Goodbye Central.

"That" team was for sure Whitewater's best ever...I guess that's easy to say since it's the first time they went undefeated.  ;D
I think that DOC needs to pull up a new "Best 10".

I cannot  imagine any non-Stagg participants who should be in the West Region Best 10.

D O.C.

Ralph, in your honor I'll put non-participating McMurray at # 10.   ;)

It's not my list, Ralph, it belonged to Wildcat11.

I am thinking about all 3 UWW team there as well.

emma17

Ranking the UWW championship teams is a tough task.
HSCoach's ranking of the 2007 team has merit when you consider the Mt offense they had to stop.  Micheli, Kmic and Garcon- wow. 
2009 definately had the best passing team as they were loaded with receivers and a great qb. 
2010 was different in many ways.  Not explosive on offense and without the big name defensive players.  However, this team was as mentally tough as it gets- and I believe it had the toughest road to the championship.

I like em all the same. 

Ralph Turner

Quote from: D O.C. on December 22, 2010, 06:26:01 PM
Ralph, in your honor I'll put non-participating McMurry at # 10.   ;)

My bad!  Sorry wildcat11!

Thanks, D O.C.

I think that we should compete well next year.  It will be the 3rd year under the Air Raid and the 3-3-5 defense.  We gave away the UMHB game, lost to ETBU on the road (a 330 mile road trip) in the last minute the next weekend; lost the HSU again  >:(, and then our 3rd string QB almost beat Louisiana College.  (On the last play of the game, we maintain that the LC DB was holding the jersey of our WR in a style that some futbol defender from AC Milan would admire.)

HScoach

emma17:  Was great BSing with you before and after the Stagg.    Please check your PM's.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

wildcat11

Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 23, 2010, 12:37:22 AM
Quote from: D O.C. on December 22, 2010, 06:26:01 PM
Ralph, in your honor I'll put non-participating McMurry at # 10.   ;)

My bad!  Sorry wildcat11!

Thanks, D O.C.

I think that we should compete well next year.  It will be the 3rd year under the Air Raid and the 3-3-5 defense.  We gave away the UMHB game, lost to ETBU on the road (a 330 mile road trip) in the last minute the next weekend; lost the HSU again  >:(, and then our 3rd string QB almost beat Louisiana College.  (On the last play of the game, we maintain that the LC DB was holding the jersey of our WR in a style that some futbol defender from AC Milan would admire.)

Hey Ralph,

All I know is that I would keep 2004 Linfield #1 and the rest fall in behind.  ;) 

hazzben

Here's a question.

Who would be the Top 10 West Region Non-AQ teams of the D3football era (i.e. Pool C)?

1999 PLU (although I'm not sure if they were technically a pool C) and 2000 SJU have to be at the top of the list. Bethel's 2010 and 2007 made the semis but I don't know who else should be in contention to really put together a proper list.

Which other non-AQ's made deep playoff runs that I'm missing?

Pat Coleman

Pacific Lutheran was a Pool B team but that is a non-AQ, so it still fits your premise. UW-Whitewater was a Pool C team in 2008, having lost to UW-Stevens Point in the regular season.

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hazzben

Thanks Pat.

So we've got

99 PLU Won it all
00 SJU Lost to Mount in the Stagg
08 UWW Lost to Mount in the Stagg
07 BU Lost to Mount in the Semis
10 BU Lost to Mount in the Semis

Was the 2004 Linfield team Pool B?

Any IIAC, WIAC, NWC schools I'm missing that should be added to this list?