WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmitzel

Quote from: Gregory Sager on October 06, 2022, 12:02:25 PM
North Park's 2022-23 women's basketball roster just went up on the NPU website moments ago.

Vikings fans are going to see a very nice early Christmas present listed third from the bottom on this roster!

(That is huge for fans of the program at Foster and Kedzie though.)
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

RogK

Wow, Jayla Johnson and Lauren Lee each returning for a fifth season is a tremendous boost for North Park. Assuming they have retained some athleticism at their advanced ages, nearing or at 23 already!

Gregory Sager

Quote from: RogK on October 07, 2022, 12:57:07 PM
Wow, Jayla Johnson and Lauren Lee each returning for a fifth season is a tremendous boost for North Park. Assuming they have retained some athleticism at their advanced ages, nearing or at 23 already!

Yes, I hear that the two of them have been spotted anxiously checking their mailboxes in the NPU Postal Center each day to see if their AARP cards have arrived.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Gregory Sager on October 07, 2022, 01:29:27 PM

Yes, I hear that the two of them have been spotted anxiously checking their mailboxes in the NPU Postal Center each day to see if their AARP cards have arrived.

My younger son was invited to apply to AARP when he was 17!  I have no clue where they get their mailing lists, but clearly they will take anyone of any age (I've even heard of people whose DOGS received invites).

Gregory Sager

They must've figured that the two who are cheating under the table would be likely candidates to take advantage of the organization's perquisites, discounts, and special deals.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 07, 2022, 04:10:08 PM

My younger son was invited to apply to AARP when he was 17!  I have no clue where they get their mailing lists, but clearly they will take anyone of any age (I've even heard of people whose DOGS received invites).

One of my friends got one of those in HS and tried very hard to gain membership, arguing that he was a senior, since he was in 12th grade.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Gregory Sager

Gotberg

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on October 07, 2022, 09:22:44 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 07, 2022, 04:10:08 PM

One of my friends got one of those in HS and tried very hard to gain membership, arguing that he was a senior, since he was in 12th grade.

Classic!
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best

Gregory Sager

The CCIW athletic administrators made a decision over the past few days to require a two-and-a-half-hour gap between start times when there is a basketball doubleheader. For example, a 2 pm start must now be followed by a start no earlier than 4:15 pm, and a 5 pm start must be followed by a start no earlier than 7:15 pm. This should affect women's games less than men, since women's basketball games are usually the prelim in a doubleheader, unless they're preceded by a JV game.

iwu70

IWU women back at it formally, with Coach Smith and her experienced crew preparing . . .the new scoreboards and video screens (jumbotrons) now installed in The Shirk Center Arena.   IWU will have exhibition games in the next few weeks and then start their normal, very tough pre-CCIW schedule, potentially playing Hope, Depauw, UW Whitewater and other top programs.  Very few easy nights, some tough road games . . . and then, the tough CCIW schedule too.

Again, I have no inside information, just my own observations and thoughts -- but the IWU starting line-up to me looks like Heller, Powers, Huber, Palmer and Carlson . . .  not sure on the rotational players, and which newbies might earn some rotational minutes.  This is the year for the fab three freshmen -- now sophomores -- to really show their stuff -- Huber, Powers and Palmer.  I expect all three to play at All-CCIW levels this season.   Some questions at PG with Brooke Lansford gone to graduation, but I'm sure it will be worked out.   This is a team that will have speed, athleticism, good pressure defense and excellent three point shooting.

Looking forward to the season. 

MU and IWU again favored ?

IWU'70

RogK

Rosters for Carroll, Carthage and Wheaton aren't on their web sites yet, so predictions would be based on incomplete info.
I have absolutely no use for pre-season rankings and forecasts, but the rest-o-ya can indulge!
Each team starts '22-'23 at 0-0 and carries no credit forward from prior seasons.

iwu70

Hey Hey RogK, how you doing?

Yes, I agree, pre-season guesses are just that . . .  and all teams start out 0-0.  Indeed true.

But, teams that have a large number of returning players from successful teams last year surely have to be favored.   IWU has five of their top 8 in minutes played last year returning, so I think it's pretty likely they will be in the top tier of the CCIW again this year.  I'd expect the same of MU and NPU.   Of course, we await actual games and to see how the various teams come together, with schedule and coaching always a factor too . . .  But, NPU has Jayla again and MU has Knudsen . . . so there you go.   

IWU'70

Gregory Sager

Based upon what the Pioneers did last season and who was eligible to return, I expect Carroll to be very, very good this season. Of course, the Pios haven't posted their 2022-23 roster yet, as Rog pointed out.

iwu70

Greg, I agree with you about the Pios.

A bit more about the Titans, just my impressions and also a Pgraph article yesterday with Coach Smith's comments about the upcoming season (also an article there about the IWU men, and Coach Rose's assessment -- now in practices getting ready for an exhibition with Bradley on November 2nd).  I expect several of the returnee pine-sitters to be in the rotation this year . . . and also the junior transfer, Caite Knutson (6-0 Junior with three years eligibility remaining).  Perhaps junior Launi Chantaboury backing up at PG, with junior Taylor Tarvor and senior Emily Collins playing a role in the rotation.   We'll see after the initial games.  This gives the Titans some better size and more speed at times, perhaps better rebounding than in the past . . . and, backing up or rotating with Carlson.

Three weeks now to opening night, a game at DeVos at Hope, vs. Concordia (Wisconsin).  Perhaps Hope that weekend too. 

I think the Titan season is very promising with this talent.

IWU'70

RogK

Wheaton's roster :
https://athletics.wheaton.edu/sports/womens-basketball/roster/2022-23
I forget what injury ended Annie Tate's season in December 2021, but I hope she has fully recovered. She's among the most interesting players in the league.
In her ten games last season, she scored 24 22 14 21 28 22 19 11 15 and 12. She also grabbed 95 rebounds.