FB: Southern Athletic Association

Started by Ron Boerger, October 25, 2011, 02:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cowboy2

Welp.... that one hurt.  ::) I was pretty spot on in my pregame assessment, but just thought it would have been a reversal of roles in the W column. Down a lot of players, TU gave it their all and looked to have been in the driver seat amongst all the momentum changes. Congrats to UMHB on another deserving well fought battle. I'm very proud of the Tigers! So many should have-could have-would haves. Rewatched the streaming, but end of the day it's over and have to move on. I expect the the CRU to rise from this and make it to Annapolis. However, they have two more very tough battles before they face whoever emerges from the opposite side of the bracket. It's sad that we may have witnessed the natty in Texas again this season. Next year looks VERY promising. Trinity is back baby!

Ron Boerger

Frank Rossi has posted the TU post-game press conference on Twitter (the UMHB conference is in another tweet).

albatross

finally catching up here. solid performance by Trinity on behalf of the SAA. They are no doubt a Top 5 team and have earned every one of their accolades this year.

Ron Boerger

I have been on Zoom calls all day so haven't had a chance to listen yet, but the In the (D3FB) Huddle guys have Centre QB Trentin Dupper on today in addition to the expected Elite Eight coverage.  They start talking around the 31:30 minute about the situation and Trentin comes on shortly thereafter.   Gonna listen when I can get off these (*&(*&!!! Friday calls.

Pat Coleman

We contacted Centre twice this season about getting a feature story with Trentin Dupper.  ???
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ron Boerger

Mike Craven of Dave Campbell's Texas Football suggests Jerheme Urban as a "home run" candidate to replace the recently departed G.J. Kinne at D1 FCS UIW.   I don't see TPTB at UIW considering someone lacking a D1 coaching pedigree. 

[crossing fingers that this post doesn't come back to bite me]

crufootball

Quote from: Ron Boerger on December 02, 2022, 04:21:43 PM
Mike Craven of Dave Campbell's Texas Football suggests Jerheme Urban as a "home run" candidate to replace the recently departed G.J. Kinne at D1 FCS UIW.   I don't see TPTB at UIW considering someone lacking a D1 coaching pedigree. 

[crossing fingers that this post doesn't come back to bite me]

With all the improvements that Trinity seems to have done for the program and Coach Urban's connection to the school I would think the only way he leaves is if wants the challenge. I would agree thought that I would assume UIW won't want anyone to see them taking a step back by going after the local D3 guy.

Ron Boerger

D3Football.com All-region selections are out:

Trinity:  six
- 1st team:  BJ Stewart, RET; Caleb Harmel, LB; Trey King, CB
- 2nd team:  Tucker Horn, QB; Wyatt Bush, G
- 3rd team:  Harris Good, DT
Birmingham-Southern:  five
- 1st team: Jon Lewis, RB
- 2nd team:  Jimmy Anderson, S; Conner Thornburg, CB; Brandon Armstrong, T
- 3rd team:  Aidan Hood, P
Centre:  three
- 1st team:  Armon Wells, LB
- 2nd team:  Oliver Hunter, DT; Aiden Jackson, G
Berry:  one
- 1st team:  Tonny Garcia, G

Congratulations to all recipients and hope to see a few back next season.

Given that UMHB deservedly had half their team (13) named All-Region including eight on the first team, offensive and defensive players of the year, and coach of the year it's pretty miraculous Trinity actually had a chance to tie that playoff game late.   But some of those 13 were a big reason they didn't!

D3Navy

Quote from: Ron Boerger on December 07, 2022, 05:06:11 PM

Given that UMHB deservedly had half their team (13) named All-Region including eight on the first team, offensive and defensive players of the year, and coach of the year it's pretty miraculous Trinity actually had a chance to tie that playoff game late.   But some of those 13 were a big reason they didn't!

If you take a look at the starting offensive line for Trinity in the UMHB game, you'll be even more impressed.  Only one consistent starter among them yet they handled UMHB admirably.  This depth portends some great football in coming seasons!

A fine season from some outstanding men!

Cowboy2

Quote from: D3Navy on December 08, 2022, 09:41:00 AM
Quote from: Ron Boerger on December 07, 2022, 05:06:11 PM

If you take a look at the starting offensive line for Trinity in the UMHB game, you'll be even more impressed.  Only one consistent starter among them yet they handled UMHB admirably.  This depth portends some great football in coming seasons!

A fine season from some outstanding men!

Both Trinity's -LB Harmel and BSC's -RB Lewis each received All American honors.

Pat Coleman

Our team is announced on Friday evening.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

BSCpanthers

As much as I don't want to air our dirty laundry, we have this in the news today.

https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/2022/12/birmingham-southern-college-in-financial-distress-in-danger-of-closing-in-2023-lawmakers-say.html

Hopefully funding is already in place, and the meeting are just formalities.  There has been rumors around campus for a few months that they were struggling financially, but didn't realize it was as bad as the article suggest. 

Hopefully we will have a quick resolve to this before it effects recruiting.  I'll keep y'all posted.

Hawks88

Quote from: BSCpanthers on December 17, 2022, 02:28:21 PM
As much as I don't want to air our dirty laundry, we have this in the news today.

https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/2022/12/birmingham-southern-college-in-financial-distress-in-danger-of-closing-in-2023-lawmakers-say.html

Hopefully funding is already in place, and the meeting are just formalities.  There has been rumors around campus for a few months that they were struggling financially, but didn't realize it was as bad as the article suggest. 

Hopefully we will have a quick resolve to this before it effects recruiting.  I'll keep y'all posted.
Man, that reads as pretty dire. I hope that they can find a way through it.

BSCpanthers

Quote from: Hawks88 on December 17, 2022, 02:33:02 PM
Quote from: BSCpanthers on December 17, 2022, 02:28:21 PM

Man, that reads as pretty dire. I hope that they can find a way through it.

Does Huntingdon have some space for some transfers???  Berry, Shorter, Sewanee, Rhodes, Millsaps all could be adding some good athletes for next season.

jknezek

Birmingham-Southern has been in and out of financial trouble since before I moved here. They keep trying different things, but never seem to succeed. I know they used to claim an endowment of over $100 million in the early 2000s, in 2020 it was listed at slightly less than $50million. From what I understand, they used endowment funds, or loans against endowment funds, to build in the 2000s, got clobbered by the Great Recession, spent 20 years over-awarding Pell Grant money that was discovered in the early 2010s, and have watched enrollment drip lower. They even tried to get honest about tuition a few years ago, going from the ridiculous sticker price of 40K to closer to the effective paid price of 20K per year. All that did was cause them to be listed as "less selective" in some of the ridiculous rankings.

It's a beautiful campus, in a horrible area. I sure hope they can find a way to turn it around, but it seems like the bag of tricks may be running dry.