D3Boards.Com Soccer Top 20 Fan Poll

Started by jknezek, September 30, 2021, 08:44:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hopkins92

I don't think you guys should feel compelled to post your polls. It's nice that you're doing it, I guess, but a big part of the polling process is that you guys should feel free to put your opinions out there without the very kind of trolling we just experienced.

(Some will recall a brief session last month where we talked about trolling... THIS is what I was talking about. :D )

jknezek

Quote from: Hopkins92 on November 08, 2022, 04:45:35 PM
I don't think you guys should feel compelled to post your polls. It's nice that you're doing it, I guess, but a big part of the polling process is that you guys should feel free to put your opinions out there without the very kind of trolling we just experienced.

(Some will recall a brief session last month where we talked about trolling... THIS is what I was talking about. :D )

I tell all participants when they start they are free to disclose or not. I haven't simply because no one asked before. He asked, I'm happy to disclose if it sparks discussion. That being sais, the way he asked was definitely in the randomly obnoxious category.

SKUD

Disregard my request. I wish I had the time to ask all the  questions I had.
Their is plenty of humor and sarcasm and the boards. Sorry if I don't post all the time so you don't know my humor.  So a few of the questions I had; can the voter who omitted Middlebury from their poll explain why and can the Voters who regard MSU and F&M as #9 explain.

Again my apologies for my sarcasm and wise ass comment.

Good luck to all the teams this weekend.

SKUD

SimpleCoach

Quote from: SKUD on November 08, 2022, 05:54:21 PM
Their is plenty of humor and sarcasm and the boards. Sorry if I don't post all the time so you don't know my humor.  So a few of the questions I had; can the voter who omitted Middlebury from their poll explain why and can the Voters who regard MSU and F&M as #9 explain.

SKUD

Well, speaking for myself only.  I had Middlebury at #11.  And I considered dropping them lower.  Going 1-3-1 in their last five is not a real good look.

MSU I have at 9.  They were 13-1-4, clinched the conference regular season, and lost in the NJAC final, to Rowan.  Albeit a terrible score, and it made them pay for why they didn't get an at large bid.

F&M I have at #13.  They beat Johns Hopkins in the season finale, clinching the Centennial Conference regular season.  They ultimately lost to the tournament champions.

And don't go.  Keep posting.  Drop the wise assery and you will find this a fun place to hang out.  Wait, did I say that?  @PaulNewman, know any good therapists?

SC.

Gregory Sager

SKUD

Thanks for the apology. Just a word to the wise: When you're a new poster and we don't yet know how to read your sense of humor, best to use emojis. I know that a lot of people hate to use them, but they can be a good way to protect yourself from being misunderstood until you become a familiar voice.

Here's my ballot:

1. Messiah
  2. Chicago
  3. Stevens
  4. Kenyon
  5. Amherst
  6. Bowdoin
  7. Calvin
  8. Washington & Lee
  9. Gustavus Adolphus
10. Johns Hopkins
11. North Central
12. Middlebury
13. North Park
14. Ohio Northern
15. Montclair State
16. St. Thomas
17. Pacific Lutheran
18. Franklin & Marshall
19. Tufts
20. Willamette
21. New York
22. Oneonta State
23. Christopher Newport
24. Ohio Wesleyan
25. St. Lawrence
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Coach Jeff

Here is my poll from this week:

1   Messiah
2   Chicago
3   Stevens
4   Amherst
5   Kenyon
6   Calvin
7   North Central (Ill.)
8   Gustavus Adolphus
9   Franklin and Marshall
10   Bowdoin
11   Washington and Lee
12   North Park
13   Babson
14   Christopher Newport
15   Oneonta State
16   Johns Hopkins
17   St. Thomas (Texas)
18   Pacific Lutheran
19   St. Lawrence
20   Middlebury
21   Tufts
22   Montclair State
23   Ohio Northern
24   Carnegie Mellon
25   Western Connecticut

College Soccer Observer

My votes:
1   Messiah
2   Chicago
3   Stevens
4   Amherst
5   Kenyon
6   Calvin
7   Gustavus Adolphus
8   North Central (Ill.)
9   Bowdoin
10   Washington and Lee
11   Middlebury
12   St. Lawrence
13   Babson
14   Johns Hopkins
15   North Park
16   Western Connecticut
17   Christopher Newport
18   Oneonta State
19   Ohio Northern
20   St. Thomas (Texas)
21   Pacific Lutheran
22   Case Western Reserve
23   Montclair State
24   John Carroll
25   Mary Washington

Hopkins92

SKUD

And you're out from under the bridge! :D

Well done  Reasonable questions...

Ejay

Quote from: Hopkins92 on November 09, 2022, 08:44:37 AM

SKUD

And you're out from under the bridge! :D

Well done  Reasonable questions...

I think the better question is how does Middlebury play 1 game, lose, not make the conference final yet move from 15th to 11th?  That's an impressive loss.

College Soccer Observer

When a lot of the other teams around them also lose.  It did not make sense to me to drop them that much losing in overtime to a team that was in the top 5.  They should not be penalized for advancing to a tough matchup in the conference tournament.

PaulNewman

Quote from: College Soccer Observer on November 09, 2022, 10:08:32 AM
When a lot of the other teams around them also lose.  It did not make sense to me to drop them that much losing in overtime to a team that was in the top 5.  They should not be penalized for advancing to a tough matchup in the conference tournament.

I thought this past week was probably the most difficult one all year in terms of a poll "ballot."  Remember, we are amateur volunteers doing a fan poll on a chat board that has no official standing, even though imho the fan poll many weeks has been more "accurate" than even the D3soccer.com poll.  But back to this week, once you got past #1 to #4, we had a mess, where a lot of teams probably got placed higher than I was comfortable with but there was literally no one else to put ahead of them.  From #5 up to #17 or #18 was quite difficult and of course the last 7-8 spots always are difficult.

jknezek

Just a quick notice for this thread. There will be no poll until after the tournament ends when a final poll for the year will be produced. Thanks again to our outstanding voting group. To be part of the D3soccer.com poll, I had to give these guys short deadlines to get their ballots in to me and they did an incredible job of meeting those deadlines with credible and well-thought out ballots each week.

I hope to run this poll again next year, and I hope this group of voters will return. If anyone else has interest, I am open to expanding the poll as well, but next year will be a long way off.

Good luck to all the tournament teams and a huge thank you to all the student athletes in all the D3 sports that put in the time, effort, blood, sweat, and tears that fuel this unique little corner of the internet!

Coach Jeff

Quote from: jknezek on November 10, 2022, 10:42:24 AM
Just a quick notice for this thread. There will be no poll until after the tournament ends when a final poll for the year will be produced. Thanks again to our outstanding voting group. To be part of the D3soccer.com poll, I had to give these guys short deadlines to get their ballots in to me and they did an incredible job of meeting those deadlines with credible and well-thought out ballots each week.

I hope to run this poll again next year, and I hope this group of voters will return. If anyone else has interest, I am open to expanding the poll as well, but next year will be a long way off.

Good luck to all the tournament teams and a huge thank you to all the student athletes in all the D3 sports that put in the time, effort, blood, sweat, and tears that fuel this unique little corner of the internet!

Thank you for opening up to us.  It made other teams and games interesting to watch and place in the top 25.

jknezek

Last poll of the year. We are missing a pair of voters, but that happens at the end. I appreciate all the work the voters put in this season. It's a long stretch until August, but it's been fun and I hope to do it again next year.

D3Boards.com Soccer Fan Poll Games as of 12/4/2022
National Top 25

Rank
School
Voter Breakdown
Chicago (6)
1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1
Messiah
2, 2, 3, 2, 4, 3
Stevens
4, 3, 2, 4, 2, 6
Kenyon
5, 4, 7, 3, 7, 4
Johns Hopkins
6, 5, 11, 5, 8, 5
Amherst
7, 6, 5, 9, 6, 10
Williams
---
3, 4, 10, 3, 2
Washington and Lee
9, 7, 12, 7, 10, 8
Mary Washington
---
8, 16, 6, 11, 5, 12
Bowdoin
10, 12, 10, 8, 9, 13
Calvin
16, 11, 8, 6, 13, 9
North Central (IL)
12, 8, 15, 15, 12, 11
Gustavus Adolphus
11, 13, 18, 9, 12, 11
St. Thomas (TX)
17, 9, 14, 17, 16, 16
North Park
13, 19, 17, 21, 14, 18
Montclair State
15, 16, 16, 17, 14
Oneonta State
20, 21, 13, 14, 21, 22
Western Connecticut
10, 19, 19, 17
Ohio Northern
14, 24, 20, 15, 20
T20
Christopher Newport
15, 18, 18, 19
T20
St. Olaf
---
22, 20, 13, 20, 21
UW-Eau Claire
---
25, 17, 23, 18, 19, 23
Franklin and Marshall
19, 14, 25
Babson
22, 24, 15
Pacific Lutheran
18, 22

Also Receiving Votes:
St. Lawrence (9) , Willamette (9) , Catholic (7) , Rowan (6) , Tufts (5) , John Carroll (4) , Cortland State (3) , Middlebury (3) , Ohio Wesleyan (2)

Newly Ranked: Williams, Mary Washington, St. Olaf, UW-Eau Claire
Dropped Out: Middlebury (Prev:11), St. Lawrence (Prev:17), John Carroll (Prev:18), Case Western Reserve (Prev:23)

1 = 1st Place Vote, 25 = 25th Place Vote in Voter Breakdown
Special Thanks to the Voters: Gregory Sager, SimpleCoach, College Soccer Observer, Paul Newman, jknezek, Coach Jeff

jknezek

The 2023 season approaches! With the end of d3soccer.com, as far as I know, there will be no D3soccer.com poll. We all know the coaches poll has some methodology that makes it problematic. This might be the only useful poll for D3 soccer this year.

If we can get at least 5 or so voters, I will run it again. My only caveat is that if you agree to participate you try your best to do it every week so that things are consistent. Also, you try to be on time because it's no fun for anyone if I have to track you down every week and pester you to get your votes in.

We can go back to the old rules, since the D3soccer deadline will no longer apply. So the poll will include games that start before Sunday at midnight EST and will be due to me before Tuesday EST at midnight and I will try to post on Wednesday.

I will not do a preseason poll. I hate them. They set up a ton of positional bias and, especially with 400+ teams in D3, there simply is no way to do a good one. The first poll will be based on games played prior to midnight 9/10 and will be due to me on 9/12. That gives us roughly 2 weeks of games to start making assessments.

If you are interested, please send me a PM or respond in this thread. I have sent messages to the pollsters from last season and I hope they will be back. They did an excellent job. But I am happy to recruit a few more if anyone is interested.