SimpleCoach D3 Soccer YouTube Channel

Started by SimpleCoach, December 05, 2021, 06:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hopkins92

SimpleCoach

Recording an Edition of the New Show... tonight....

And doing an interview with a coach whose program was snubbed by the NCAA... that's tomorrow.

And Friday, another coach who had high hopes, but the season proved to be tough.

SC.

Hopkins92

Nice.

(Coach Appleby just chimed in with a very interesting post on the JHU alumni Facebook page. Talked a little bit about tweaking his tactics to unlock JCU... Not common for him to do that and it was really cool insight.)

SimpleCoach

Quote from: Hopkins92 on November 15, 2022, 12:06:57 PM
Nice.

(Coach Appleby just chimed in with a very interesting post on the JHU alumni Facebook page. Talked a little bit about tweaking his tactics to unlock JCU... Not common for him to do that and it was really cool insight.)

Was so clear they did.  Different team than the ones I have watched earlier in the year.

SC.

Hopkins92

To be clear, he is very clearly open to changing his tactics in game of late. I know I've been annoying about this in the past. Very happy to see this transformation. I just meant he doesn't chime on the Fb page with that level of detail very often. Which... I would not expect him to do that. Certainly doesn't owe us anything on that front.

That said, once the dust settles and you make your rounds during the post-season, I think you'd enjoy discussing this game with him. (Just like he broke down last year's JCU game.)

SimpleCoach

stlawus

SC are you reaching out to previously interviewed coaches for season recaps?

SimpleCoach

Quote from: stlawus on November 18, 2022, 02:23:04 PM
SC are you reaching out to previously interviewed coaches for season recaps?

Pretty much.  So Coach Bergin we talked about the season.  If I interview someone who I havent in the past, I will ask them question about they history, but then dive into the season.

Make sense?

SC.

stlawus

It makes sense!  I may have worded that oddly, it was not mean to be negative, the opposite in fact as I was wondering if you were going to keep doing that.   It'd be great to hear from all the coaches you previously interviewed to see how things ended up versus what they discussed about with regard to expectations and what not.  Of course, I'd love to hear again from Mike Toshack given my bias (and any news on recruiting and if there are seniors returning for 5th years, this goes for all coaches as I think it's a good topic now that they're preparing for next season), but please do not feel obligated or anything.    You're getting some great interviews which is a testament to how much the channel has grown.

SimpleCoach

Quote from: stlawus on November 18, 2022, 02:38:51 PM
It makes sense!  I may have worded that oddly, it was not mean to be negative, the opposite in fact as I was wondering if you were going to keep doing that.   It'd be great to hear from all the coaches you previously interviewed to see how things ended up versus what they discussed about with regard to expectations and what not.  Of course, I'd love to hear again from Mike Toshack given my bias (and any news on recruiting and if there are seniors returning for 5th years, this goes for all coaches as I think it's a good topic now that they're preparing for next season), but please do not feel obligated or anything.    You're getting some great interviews which is a testament to how much the channel has grown.

He is on my list.  Will be reaching out to him shortly.

And thank you for the compliments.  Appreciate the support.

SC.

Kuiper

SC - are you guys planning to do a Final Four show or is it too raw for PN to manage?  If you do, it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on Mary Washington. I thought their GK Hemmendinger looked pretty strong over the weekend. I'm wondering if he might be the best of the four GK starters in the Final Four, even though Diffley (Williams) and Boyes (Chicago) have better stats.  As you know, GK stats can be pumped up by strong defenses and overall style of play and Williams and Chicago certainly have strong defenses.  I've only watched MW a couple of times, though, so it may be that Hemmendinger just had more to do. 

SimpleCoach

Quote from: Kuiper on November 21, 2022, 06:29:37 PM
SC - are you guys planning to do a Final Four show or is it too raw for PN to manage?  If you do, it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on Mary Washington. I thought their GK Hemmendinger looked pretty strong over the weekend. I'm wondering if he might be the best of the four GK starters in the Final Four, even though Diffley (Williams) and Boyes (Chicago) have better stats.  As you know, GK stats can be pumped up by strong defenses and overall style of play and Williams and Chicago certainly have strong defenses.  I've only watched MW a couple of times, though, so it may be that Hemmendinger just had more to do.

So, I haven't asked Mr. Newman yet.  Figured I would let him enjoy the holidays, but the episode would be focused on the Final Four. 

As an aside, keep thinking of doing a Top Ten of Division III soccer goalkeepers (That I have watched.) Diffley and Boyes would not make the list. But coming up with such a list is hard because of the nature of not being able to watch them consistently, only seeing on video, etc.

SC.

Kuiper

Quote from: SimpleCoach on November 21, 2022, 07:09:25 PM
Quote from: Kuiper on November 21, 2022, 06:29:37 PM

So, I haven't asked Mr. Newman yet.  Figured I would let him enjoy the holidays, but the episode would be focused on the Final Four. 

As an aside, keep thinking of doing a Top Ten of Division III soccer goalkeepers (That I have watched.) Diffley and Boyes would not make the list. But coming up with such a list is hard because of the nature of not being able to watch them consistently, only seeing on video, etc.

SC.

Thanks.  A DIII GK Top Ten would be great, although, as you say, it's tough to make proper comparisons with so many goalkeepers and so few observations (if any) of each one.  It's probably why GK recruitment is difficult too.  They all look great on the highlight videos after all!  Still, first person observations would be more interesting than reading stats that are often meaningless.  Call it "notable" GKs.

Hopkins92

(I benefited mightily from an overly generous statistician that didn't seem to understand the difference between shots and SOGs. It's pretty funny when you look at up against other GKs in Hopkins record books... But minutes played, can't inflate that!)

:D