2022 D3 Men's Soccer National Perspective

Started by PaulNewman, March 26, 2022, 01:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulNewman

I gotta learn more about Trinity. Might be adding Trinity to college lists for my grandkids who don't exist yet (IF TX...and Massachusetts... are still part of the same United States by then...sorry). I know Trinity is a great school but don't know a lot about it and always confused by why not listed as a national LAC by USNWR.  Also surprised to see endowment at 1.75+ billion. If my quick research is correct that wld place Trinity 5th in NESCAC, still way behind Williams and Amherst as almost all LACs are, well behind Bowdoin and Tufts, but ahead of Midd, Hamilton, Colby, etc. By comparison W&L comes in just over 2 billion which also would place 5th in NESCAC and Davidson would slot in with Colby around 7th at 1.3 billion. Tufts of course is the one school named that is not a LAC. I also forgot Wesleyan which would slot in between Tufts and Midd but below W&L and Trinity.

Anyway, after 2.5 years of Covid and the country embroiled in a vicious culture war unimaginably teetering towards possible civil war... in 2022... the little 'ol D3 soccer season cannot start fast enough.

D3Navy

Really excited for the coming season!  I am by no means a soccer expert but have been observing, often in person here in San Antonio.  A couple of things about Trinity in 2022:

- Jacob Galan will be missed on defense (if he's, in fact, gone).  He was the most powerful player on the field (of either team) when he was in.  One could sense the confidence from the rest of the players that he would shut down the opposition.  It'll be fun to see how the TU D responds.

- Michael Meese is back.  He brings the same offensive confidence that Galan brought on defense.  A national level game changer.

- Hunter Cain is known but underrated.  I can still picture an arching goal from near midfield that he scored last season.  It was a stunning bolt of offense from this relatively slight, sneaky player.  TU's longevity in the playoffs may hinge on Hunter.

- I expect Chen Adjei to blossom.  Already a force but he'll shine in 2022.

The environment of success in athletics at Trinity is infectious.  Recommend a visit to San Antonio!

Ron Boerger

Quote from: PaulNewman on August 17, 2022, 07:37:50 PM
I gotta learn more about Trinity. Might be adding Trinity to college lists for my grandkids who don't exist yet (IF TX...and Massachusetts... are still part of the same United States by then...sorry). I know Trinity is a great school but don't know a lot about it and always confused by why not listed as a national LAC by USNWR.  Also surprised to see endowment at 1.75+ billion. If my quick research is correct that wld place Trinity 5th in NESCAC, still way behind Williams and Amherst as almost all LACs are, well behind Bowdoin and Tufts, but ahead of Midd, Hamilton, Colby, etc. By comparison W&L comes in just over 2 billion which also would place 5th in NESCAC and Davidson would slot in with Colby around 7th at 1.3 billion. Tufts of course is the one school named that is not a LAC. I also forgot Wesleyan which would slot in between Tufts and Midd but below W&L and Trinity.

Anyway, after 2.5 years of Covid and the country embroiled in a vicious culture war unimaginably teetering towards possible civil war... in 2022... the little 'ol D3 soccer season cannot start fast enough.

Trinity's classification, like most schools, is done by Carnegie based on the on-campus academic offerings.  Since almost all degrees are undergraduate they fell into the regional classification where they have enjoyed being the big fish in a small pond for decades.  Last year the school finally petitioned to be considered a National Liberal Arts school and Carnegie agreed.  I'm sure the first set of rankings will come as a shock to those used to seeing them at the top of the Western region but it's going to be a huge win if the school continues on the path it's been on the last decade or so.  New president takes over this year and has some pretty big shoes to fill, but I'm optimistic.

The endowment has always been substantial for a small private school in this part of the country, but again the last ten years has seen significant growth.  As an aside, one of the Walton children is a Trinity grad, but I don't think the two are related.

EnmoreCat

Quote from: PaulNewman on August 17, 2022, 07:37:50 PM

Just on the Trinity endowment, when we visited in 2018, we were told that amongst the Tigers alumni was one, Alice Walton, yes those Waltons. 

(modified by GS for formatting)

jaysoccer

Jacob Galan was excellent, both on pitch and in classroom. He was awarded an NCAA post graduate scholarship and is off to medical school
Return of JC Rule at CB is big -- he was best CB last year until knee injury which cost him about half of the season.

Meese is definitely a game-changer. And from all accounts a very nice person off the pitch.

Trinity is a very very good academic school IMO. It offers a really good combo of great academics and great athletic programs. Location in San Antonio is awesome, campus is very pretty. It seems that Trinity has made huge strides last decade or so upping its national profile and predict that will continue. The endowment amount is welcome because they are able to offer generous merit scholarships in addition to need-based scholarships.

PaulNewman

OMG, so embarrassing....the Kenyon Lords are now the Kenyon Owls.  I had no clue.

Kuiper

Quote from: PaulNewman on August 18, 2022, 11:59:27 AM
OMG, so embarrassing....the Kenyon Lords are now the Kenyon Owls.  I had no clue.

It was certainly better than the second choice moniker in the student voting:

The Kenyon Kenyons

PaulNewman

Maybe I missed a reference to this from one of our W&L friends but do not see W&L soph sensation Adrian Zimmerman on the 2022 roster.  I do see multiple other key players back like Bass, Kutsanzira, Smith, Ryan, Agbeyegbe, etc

Another Mom

@paulnewman you are correct, no Adrian Zimmerman  :-(

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Another Mom on August 18, 2022, 04:20:33 PM

Is this the young man in question?  If so he was on the roster of USL League2 West Virginia United earlier this year, not sure what impact if any that would have on NCAA eligibility as it is a "preprofessional league."

Kuiper

Quote from: Ron Boerger on August 18, 2022, 04:42:24 PM

Is this the young man in question?  If so he was on the roster of USL League2 West Virginia United earlier this year, not sure what impact if any that would have on NCAA eligibility as it is a "preprofessional league."

USL League 2 is just the rebrand of PDL.  It is a summer league designed primarily for college kids.  Lots of D3 players participate in that league or UPSL to help keep them sharp before fall season.  It wouldn't affect eligibility.

camosfan

my son played a little in the USL2, it is mostly college kids, notice there were a few pros on the roster of a team they played.

PaulNewman

That's too bad after his exploits last year especially in the latter half of the season.  You still look loaded, though, so not sure his loss really impacts the squad's very high expectations.  Messiah at W&L to open the season at Parker Alston Watt or Watt Parker Alston field is a don't miss streaming event.  Gotta love an Elite 8 rematch between the gold standard and the new superstar on the block.

I also get a kick out of reading featured articles on incoming players.  I know many of these read very similarly but sounds like 4 or 5 guys of Man City quality are coming in, including a kid from Spain who Singleton termed the highest IQ player he will have ever coached.  I know soccer IQ doesn't necessarily track totally with whatever regular IQ is, but given that Singleton coached for I think at least a handful of years at MIT and now several at W&L his statement seems like quite an endorsement.

Best of luck to your son this season.

Another Mom

Thanks, there are still a few other kids on the team that can score goals.

Messiah v W&L -- yes, big game! I am planning to be there in person. I'm guessing it will be a real indication of the season to come.

Usl2, yeah, mostly college kids. My son also played on a team this summer. Zero effect on eligibility.

Dark Knight

Quote from: PaulNewman on August 17, 2022, 10:10:41 AM
There are a number of teams that would be great to get a preview on for those who know.  Calvin comes to mind...a typical Calvin team this year or down just a little? 

Calvin (ending up at #9 last year) had 4 seniors starters on the team last year, including the team leading scorer and central defender, both All-Americans. Senior starters accounted for 39% of goals scored.

Rumor has it that Calvin has a strong recruiting class, including 3 D1 transfers. Of course, it remains to be seen whether coach can form these players into a coherent team by August 30...