Pool B

Started by Ralph Turner, October 01, 2005, 02:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Ralph Turner on February 25, 2012, 09:54:34 AM
Quote from: Ron Boerger on February 24, 2012, 11:35:25 AM
Add one more SAA school - Hendrix says they're starting in 2013.
http://www.hendrix.edu/athletics/content.aspx?id=56679

I am not doubting you...
I just wanted to see for myself!

Don't blame you given the history ... but they did put football back into their listing of sports after taking it out a couple of years ago.  ;)  See also this link:  http://www.hendrix.edu/athletics/content.aspx?id=58378

You would think they need to name a coach pretty soon if they're going to start in '13 ... tho I guess it's probably too late to recruit kids who are starting next fall, at least they could start practicing and get kids in the weight room with the '12-'13 school year. 

wally_wabash

Pool B is taking a beating today.  Wesley, CWRU, and Trinity have all lost.  Centre is losing.  Crazy day out there. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Ralph Turner

Quote from: wally_wabash on September 15, 2012, 08:14:40 PM
Pool B is taking a beating today.  Wesley, CWRU, and Trinity have all lost.  Centre is losing.  Crazy day out there.
B-SC continuing to impress.

jknezek

B-SC has both Wesley and Trinity on their schedule. They're going to get a chance to win that B outright having already taken down Huntingdon. Whether they can do it is another story. Since its in town I might be at the B-SC Trinity game depending on how things shake out even though I don't have a dog in the fight. Might just be a good chance to see good D3 football close to home.

hazzben

Seriously. The perceived depth of Pool B this year looked like it'd have serious Pool C ramifications. Guess it still might, but it doesn't look quite as likely after today.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: hazzben on September 15, 2012, 10:41:22 PM

Seriously. The perceived depth of Pool B this year looked like it'd have serious Pool C ramifications. Guess it still might, but it doesn't look quite as likely after today.
IMHO, Wesley's loss is not that bad. I think that UMHB is #2 in the country only because they have not beaten UMU in 8 years.   ;)

hazzben

Quote from: Ralph Turner on September 15, 2012, 10:57:42 PM

IMHO, Wesley's loss is not that bad. I think that UMHB is #2 in the country only because they have not beaten UMU in 8 years.   ;)

Agreed. UMHB is legit. I've had them ranked #3 all year. #2 after UWW's rough day.

But losing at home isn't good either. But I think Wesley still reeks havoc on several other Pool B contenders down the stretch.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: hazzben on September 15, 2012, 11:07:15 PM

Agreed. UMHB is legit. I've had them ranked #3 all year. #2 after UWW's rough day.

But losing at home isn't good either. But I think Wesley still reeks havoc on several other Pool B contenders down the stretch.
I think that the Pool B's will have enough common opponents that we can get a good assessment of the best team. :)

hazzben

Crazy thought...what if Macalaster goes undefeated. It could happen. Here's their remaining schedule:

9/22    at Lewis & Clark •   
10/6    at Carleton •
10/13    vs. Rhodes   
10/20    vs. Trinity Bible   
10/27    at Mayville St.   
11/3    vs. Augsburg •   
11/10    at Hamline •

I'd be surprised if they won them all. But if they can knock off L&C next week, they'd at least have a shot at it.

Does a 10-0 Mac team have a shot at an at large  :o They'd have to have one of the worst OWP in the country if they did it.

hazzben

Quote from: Ralph Turner on September 15, 2012, 11:09:21 PM

I think that the Pool B's will have enough common opponents that we can get a good assessment of the best team. :)

I agree with that. But there was talk earlier this year that some Pool B teams would be in contention for a Pool C. That's what I was arguing took a bit of a hit today.

smedindy

I don't think Wesley is going to smell out the others in Pool B.

They may wreak havoc, though!

;)

smedindy

Quote from: hazzben on September 15, 2012, 11:12:15 PM

I agree with that. But there was talk earlier this year that some Pool B teams would be in contention for a Pool C. That's what I was arguing took a bit of a hit today.

They still are. If this is the only loss for some of those teams then they'd still be viable "C" candidates.

smedindy

I'd have to think Carnegie Mellon and Birmingham Southern are the 'leaders' thus far in the race for the "B", but it's still early.

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: smedindy on September 24, 2012, 02:17:19 PM
I'd have to think Carnegie Mellon and Birmingham Southern are the 'leaders' thus far in the race for the "B", but it's still early.

It's still early, and there's still going to be a lot of B-on-B carnage: Wesley vs. Birmingham Southern, Wesley vs. Huntingdon, plus Birmingham-Southern, Centre, Millsaps, Trinity all have games remaining against each other.  Somebody will emerge in the end, but there could be quite a mess with all those teams beating each other.

I think we can cross CWRU off the list of realistic contenders at this point - even if they run the table, those two losses are killers.  We probably don't have to worry about Macalaster either after their loss to L & C.

CMU is definitely in the mix, but they've got 'Bash this week and a slate of conference opponents that historically all play each other tough no matter who looks best on paper entering conference play.

This Saturday's key Pool B games seem to be CMU vs. Wabash (because that will tell us whether CMU has a chance to make it through unscathed) and Centre vs. Millsaps (loser likely eliminated from Pool B consideration with both still yet to play B-SC and Trinity).  The 10/6 game between Wesley and BSC also looms large.  We won't have real clarity until mid-October once the Artists Formerly Known As The SCAC start playing each other.
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

K-Mack

Quote from: smedindy on February 24, 2012, 10:22:51 AM
Fair or not, in 2013, it'll be win your league (or finish with one loss in the OAC or WIAC) or go home.

OAC and WIAC aren't automatic, but there are definitely fewer opportunities for at-large teams on the horizon.

Agree 100% and I like it that way.

I also think there are chances for Bs to get in in C, but it's early yet.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.