MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: hopefan on April 03, 2019, 07:27:00 AM
Well Smitty... all is fine... because our house in Eureka Missouri sold last week!!!... We (Ms. hopefan and I) are now permanent residents of Tierra Verde. Fl.
The sale, the inspection fixes, the getting rid of 46 years of stuff created tremendous upheaval.. it was just wise to concentrate on all that needed to be done and not to be on the computer D3-ing away

So I'm in the land of no D3 schools...BUT

1) I have access to all SLIAC game videos... I'll continue to be the SLIAC's no 1 fan and call them as I see 'em... though admittedly, watching on the internet is not nearly as conducive to evaluating as being there in person..
2) I'll continue to input into the D3 boards in the multi-region section that I always have
3) I might even jump back into the pick em contest that I used to be a part of...

and I'll look forward to seeing a D3 tourney or 2 down here in Florida... though I fear most of them will be played near the holidays when we'll likely be visiting family...

Going to D3 games has been a major part of my life... I'll miss it tremendously... from Coaching at RPI, to becoming a Hope fan in the 80's, to a Wash U fan in the 90's, to a Maryville (Mo.) fan for a few years in the early 2000's, and then a SLIAC fan since... D3hoops has always been there...Thank goodness the internet can keep me up to date with the goings on... also, I have D2 Eckerd College right down the road... Eckerd would be a perfect D3 school, facilities, education etc, but it's not to be in Florida.... they have been pretty good the last two years, very entertaining to watch, but graduation losses will put them in a deep hole next year...

So readers, count on it... I'll be here!!!!

You really need to get your priorities straight. I mean, who sells a house during D3 March Madness anyway?! In all seriousness, glad you'll be back.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

iwumichigander

Best wishes Hopefan for a Florida retirement!!! Happy you are going to continue following D3 and SLIAC.

hopefan

Blackburn keeps it in house moving Assistant Coach Austin Kirby up to head coach... Kirby graduated from Blackburn in 2017, though his writeup indicates he has been an assistant for 4 years... in 2 of those years he was a student... it does mean however, that he likely played a major role in the recruitment and development of the current roster...

Still, he almost has to be, at this minute, the youngest head coach in NCAA basketball.... and I wonder, is coaching guys that are almost your age a good thing...does friendship lead to respect?

He learned for 4 years from a very good head coach, one who won with discipline on and off the court... I hope it goes well.....

Strange that the announcement receives no major publicity on the Blackburn site... (only shows up on the athletic staff listing)... no big article on the athletic dept page or the BC basketball page, and likely not forwarded to Dhoops.com, where it has yet to show up on the coaching carousel, or sliac.org where there is no mention....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Gregory Sager

Pat or Ryan will eventually swing around to this page, see your post, and it'll go into d3hoops.com via that route, I guess.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 06, 2019, 11:35:31 AM
Pat or Ryan will eventually swing around to this page, see your post, and it'll go into d3hoops.com via that route, I guess.

Typically we wait for the release (and then the time) to post.  I say "we," but it's really Pat.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Gregory Sager

Right, but I guess the question is, "What if there's no press release?"
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 06, 2019, 12:39:03 PM

Then we will add it to a note in other stories we compile or just change it on the sport page. We can't write releases about every single job that changes, especially low-profile ones.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on April 06, 2019, 04:08:39 PM

Then we will add it to a note in other stories we compile or just change it on the sport page. We can't write releases about every single job that changes, especially low-profile ones.

I think that hurt hopefan's feelings.  :'(
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Smitty Oom

Wow, absolutely shocked by this. He graduated in 2017 and was a member of the bball coaching staff in the 2016-2017 season as a student.  That means he was classmates/peers with the seniors on the team for this upcoming year, as they were freshman his graduating year. I had two players on my senior year team at Concordia who went into coaching and helped out with Varsity and coached the JV team, we treated them like normal teammates, hung out with them, ate at the dining services and went to parties with them. Cant be too far fetched this would be the same in this situation, although my aspiring coaching teammates were closer in age than the 3 year gap here. Anyways, interesting to think about. Hope he does well, seems like a daunting task at such a young age and seemingly little connections. However, I am sure he is well qualified as it is very impressive for any person to get offered a head NCAA coaching job under 25 years old.

Pat Coleman

Then it waits until there is time for me to sit down and write something from scratch. Still on the backlog of coaching changes that took place during the NCAA Tournament, when there wasn't time to do anything but cover the tournament.

Our goal is actually to have coverage of all hirings and all departures as well, and not to gloss over the details that schools like to leave out about a coach's record and the like. We want to be the publication of record for all coaching changes.

Last year's men's stories, for example: https://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2018/coaching-changes-men

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on April 06, 2019, 12:37:42 PM
Typically we wait for the release (and then the time) to post.  I say "we," but it's really Pat.

Gordon also.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

WUPHF

If they had hired any younger, they could have hired from the college work program...

hopefan

Quote from: WUPHF on April 07, 2019, 05:20:47 PM
If they had hired any younger, they could have hired from the college work program...

My thought was that was the case during the two years he was an undergrad AND listed as an Asst Coach.... not condemning that... it's a win-win for the student and the program....I parallel it to one of my sons... a chem major, got a summer internship, then offered to work part time during the school year... did that his junior and senior years   due to some various personnel moves, he all of a sudden was one of the more knowledgeable employees in the particular lab and product line... bang, an easy full time hire after graduation...

WUPHF

hopefan

Slowly but surely... Austin Kirby gets a nice write up on the Blackburn Athletic site....

WUPHF

I know it is not basketball, but Fontbonne defeated Loras and the top-seeded Carthage en route to the MCVL men's volleyball championship and will play in the national championship this weekend.

https://www.fontbonnegriffins.com/sports/mvball/2018-19/releases/20190413shk0x5