FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craft_Beermeister

Craft_Beermeister

Long term former John Carrol head coach Regis Scafe brings Thomas More to Byron P. Hollett Little Giant Stadium, but if i had a choice I'd pick Erik Raeburn

formerd3db

I join all the others in wishing you NCAC'ers an enjoyable and blessed Thanksgiving Day and weekend, whatever you are doing.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

wabashcpa

Happy Thanksgiving to everybody, be safe in your travels and enjoy your day!

wabndy

Happy Thanksgiving.  My sympathies to whoever had to feed Mason Z. today. 

Joe Wally

Quote from: DadofBashWarrior.. on November 27, 2015, 01:10:07 PM
Quote from: wabndy on November 26, 2015, 09:13:23 PM
Happy Thanksgiving.  My sympathies to whoever had to feed Mason Z. today.

Mason Zerek is welcome at my table any time...Just would like some warning he is coming...

FEED ZEREK

+1

formerd3db

Predictions for tomorrow my Wabash friends?  I think they have a good chance if they bring their "A" game.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Li'l Giant

Quote from: formerd3db on November 27, 2015, 05:33:41 PM
Predictions for tomorrow my Wabash friends?  I think they have a good chance if they bring their "A" game.

I think TM is by far the best team we've faced all year. That means I think they'll be the first to hold us under 30 points and be the first to score at least 20 points. I see it 28-21 Wabash.
"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

bashbrother

I agree TMC will be the most complete team we will have faced all year.

Balanced and good offense... Tough defense.

I still believe Wabash is on a different level right now as a team and thus,  it will be closer to a 31-14 type game..,  with a close game at half.. With Wabash pulling away in the 2nd half.

This will be the first pocket passer Wabash has faced in awhile and I like that match up. 

WAF!

Why should you go for it on 4th down?

"To overcome the disappointment of not making it on third down." -- Washington State Coach Mike Leach

Li'l Giant

Quote from: bashbrother on November 27, 2015, 08:38:08 PMI still believe Wabash is on a different level right now as a team and thus,  it will be closer to a 31-14 type game..,  with a close game at half.. With Wabash pulling away in the 2nd half.

I like your prediction better. I'm a natural cynic.
"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

SaintsFAN

OK Wally - figures that neither of us can be at this one.  Here are the thoughts percolating in my head.

I like that TMC has an athlete type at backup QB and he gets his series or two each half... So if the pocket is being collapsed they have options. 

Now, I'm a fan of what BJ and David Denham have done with the front 7 but I think Thomas More's size on the OL will make things interesting.  The Saints average 300 lbs on that OL between the five of them (drops to 287 if you count TE).  I really feel like they'll completely pick up the blitz coming a few times and if they get the ball out accurately, they'll score more than 14 points.  The skill positions are really exceptional and have been 3 and 4 year starters.  I think the Wabash faithful will give WR Goose Cohorn props after this game - he's a playmaker with great hands.  And it will be interesting to see how much they utilize the size of Jeremy Duncan (he's 6'5'' 220). 

I've liked Wabash all year and had them in the Top 4 on my ballot for the last 7 weeks.  The defense is nasty.  It's no doubt the best defense we'll have played since Wesley last year.  But I like this matchup for TMC, also.  I don't think they get held to 14 unless Wabash totally annihilates the Thomas More OL.  It's going to be a really interesting game - both teams are facing the best team on the 2015 season thus far, and that will create some interesting moments for each team. 

What has stood out for me about Thomas More is what makes this team different from the other playoff teams at the school: 

1.  Size and athleticism of the OL - they've been very good in pass pro and run blocking.  Lots of starting experience on this line also.
2.  Size and athleticism of the DL - the DE's have been very disruptive and the interior guys have plugged the middle
3.  The play of the DBs - first time that I can remember not having a DB we hope doesn't get exposed. Playmakers.  I can't remember having so many pick-6's in a single season.
4.  Overall depth- practices have been a competition.  This is a very deep team that has needed that depth at RB, QB and DBs as guys got nicked up.

Concerns for this game against Wabash:
1.  MT's - suspect tackling made that Case game a lot closer than it should've been.  Zurek is 30 lbs heavier than the CWRU RB who probably had 75 yards after initial contact.  It was maddening to see.
2.  QB play against the Wabash blitz packages.  If our QB doesn't have time to set his feet, it will be a long day with TMC only scoring on big plays. 
3.  Dumb Penalties - ran into the punter twice last week on 4th and long.  TMC has been a little penalty prone in 2015.  You Wabash fans know what it's like to have bad refs in the NCAC and we experience the same in the PAC.  But I'm talking about the mindless ones here.  Miss a chance to get off the field and to give Zurek a new set of downs would have the potential to catastrophic for TMC's chances in this one. 
4.  Punting has been feast or famine this season.  Last week there was a 16 yard punt.  Can't give a short field to Wabash.

I'm hopeful for a clean game and one where TMC tackles well.  The kids really want to continue honoring Mitch Kramer in the 12th game (he wore #12).  I'm hoping for a 31-28 win for TMC.
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

wally_wabash

Finally emerging from my self-induced food coma here. 

Definitely a bummer that I won't be on site for this one, but such is the holiday season.  I'm in the same place I was at for the second rounder vs. North Central in 2011, so hopefully the hot seats and all of that come through for me.  SaintsFAN- great stuff.  Here's what I've been thinking about all week:

- How awesome is it to be in one of 8 games today?  I know Wabash has been here a handful of times before, but playing this weekend is always awesome.  I hope Wabash gets this far (at least) every year- and I hope we never ever take it for granted how awesome is to be part of this group of teams playing after Thanksgiving. 

- Thomas More looks like a very good to excellent offensive team.  Tremendous balance, tremendous efficiency.  It all points to a very good offensive line- good offensive lines let you do pretty much whatever you want.  And I don't need to wait until after the game- Goose Cohorn is excellent. 

- Thomas More looks like a solid defensive team.  Top 40-ish in most important defensive statistical categories.  Overall, this looks like a team that doesn't do much of anything wrong.  SaintsFAN has mentioned penalties and punting and I don't want to dismiss those things entirely because they *can* cost teams games, but I think most games at this stage of the season get won and lost with the dudes at the LOS. 

- I think Thomas More is the first team Wabash has played in 2015 that has the dudes and the confidence to think "We're better.  We're going to run our stuff and they can't beat us."  Most or all teams Wabash has played to this point have shelved something they do well because they don't think they can do it against Wabash.  Right or wrong, it's happened.  I don't think Thomas More does that.  I think they're going to play knowing they can block the front 5/6/7.  I think the whole game kind of boils down to that- Wabash is going to diffuse the Thomas More offense with backfield pressure or Wabash is going to get blocked and Thomas More is going to score plenty and put a ton of pressure on Wabash's offense.

- I know that the last couple of weeks has been all about Mason Zurek, but I do think today Wabash is going to need 3-5 big, hairy, clutch third down throws out of Connor Rice.  He's been making these throws (3rd and 14 play is a 33 yard DIME to Page to open the scoring last week), so I'm not saying it's time for Rice to do things he hasn't had to do yet.  Just that he needs to keep doing it. 

The popular opinion this week is that Thomas More @ Wabash is one of the round's top two games.  I don't at all disagree.  I think these are two excellent teams both playing excellent football currently.  I think we're in for a classic today. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Schwami

Good stuff, Wally and SaintsFAN --- +K

Each team will need to bring its "A" game to have a chance, and I expect they will.  LOS play will be huge (no pun intended).

TMC's ability to pass protect will be key it seems to me --- need to keep Flying Connor Ludwig grounded --- easier said than done!
Long shall we sing thy praises, Old Wabash

aueagle

I don't think the LG's will have a big problem beating the boys
from Kentucky...I like the story that TM brings into the playoffs,
The history of the PAC, the head coach (is Case Western kicking themselves?)
and a great season...the truth is....
Wabash is a very solid team and will close this game out in the 3rd QT....
Good Luck LG's