FB: Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Adam Sayer, December 24, 2006, 10:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formerd3db

vbell:

Who is the new OC at Defiance?  Is Coach Taylor doing that?  I didn't see one listed on their current webpage.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Adam Sayer

This is the only reason SaintsFan gets any action. Making those big bucks at TQL.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/19505458/?GT1=10150
I'm a man, but sometimes I want to smell like a different smelling man!

victorybell_57

this is just grapevine stuff, i have heard that the offense suits their personnel better. whatever they do, coach taylor does a great job there and is well respected around the hcac.

it is interesting that the DIII schools do not pay their assistant coaches very much. i have heard that a lot of assistants make in the mid 20's range. just doesn't right with the money these small schools make to pay their coaches (men and women who spend a great deal of quality time with these young men and women to ensure a quality college experience) such a poor amount. in all reality, they are paying them just slightly above the poverty line. and we wonder why education in japan is taking off.

formerd3db

vbell:
The $20,000 range is very conservative - usually if one works for the school in another full time capacity i.e not just coaching.  I know of one DIII school where an assistant was full time for two sports and the salary was about $33,000 - okay for a single young coach, but difficult to raise a family on.  Many schools assistants (I'm talking full time, not the part time) don't even make that much - although obviously, it depends on the school and its resources.  Yet, overall, I agree with you.  The coaches need to be paid more, yet in this current era, economically, like the teaching profession as you know, it is very difficult.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Adam Sayer

My buddy is the assistant DC at St. Joes (DII) in Indiana and I think he said he only makes about $9,000. He and his wife had to live in Section 8 and use food stamps the first year while she was looking for a teaching job.

I also believe I was a day up on d3football on the Deitz report :)

Pat Coleman

Oh, at least. I read the story in the local paper a week or so ago but wanted to give the Salem story more run and see what the playoff game brought Dietz.

Wish I'd seen your post. I did my own research, trying to find my way through the box scores.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Adam Sayer

Just finished winning our first Flag game...only because the team we played was practically deaf and dumb. There's a team in a higher league called the Cartel. Half their team played with the Marshals last year.

That INT returned cost him later in the game...but still an impressive year. Now if they would only come out with a league where 5'11" 250 pound O-linemen can get some love.

cave2bens

Quote from: Adam Sayer on July 02, 2007, 11:40:53 PM
Now if they would only come out with a league where 5'11" 250 pound O-linemen can get some love.

Time to lose the flags and get your tail hooked up with the Wolfhounds - your size, footwork, and wrestling accumen would be well suited to "loose head prop" and you'd get to run with the bloody ball (occassionally) and tackle opposition as a bonus.  ;D

Best Wishes from a 5'11", 15 stone forward - still playing (at slower pace) @ 54   ???
"Forever more as in days of yore Their deeds be noble and grand"

victorybell_57

it's ok, when i get a few drinks in me i call president moseley at franklin college and leave him a voicemail about paying his coaches more. the problem with academics is that when they stop the athletics wing, they think you just "joke around" or "do football" all day and "it's not that hard."

a.) coaches are good natured and laugh a lot.
b.) it's your job to do football all day, you are trying to do your best and not rip the school off.
c.) it's not that hard, but the academics will fire you for not doing good.

the other problem is that they are dorks (sorry) and very stuffy people. if something hit them in the lap besides a text book in the last 30 years they would have more social skills. me, i'll take the candy striping stripper to fall in my lap once every now and again.  bear bryant said he never trusted the schools administration anywhere becausey they were all the same, "non-working, unrealistic, soft handed, political, money stealing, no good snakes in the grass."

SaintsFAN

Quote from: Adam Sayer on July 02, 2007, 03:42:46 PM
This is the only reason SaintsFan gets any action. Making those big bucks at TQL.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/19505458/?GT1=10150

haha...true...or it could be they like the grey hairs and the wrinkles around the eyes from years in the sun....whatever it is....how would you like to be Dietz right now?  He's probably getting boy-band nook now in Tampa. 
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Adam Sayer on July 02, 2007, 08:00:36 PM

I also believe I was a day up on d3football on the Deitz report :)
Dietz' head coach at Tampa Bay is Tim Marcum, a McMurry ex and former player for Grant Teaff.

Adam Sayer

Fun in the sun watching girls wearing hardly anything is always a good time...especially when you don't have to pay for it.

Seems like DIII is getting quite a proportion in the AFL population.

Looking on the Marshals website, there is a player from Franklin. His name is Aaron Bridges and he wears #57 and comes in at 6'3" 270 pounds. We found VBell's true identity.

dc_has_been

formerd3db- I don't see Taylor being the OC at Defiance.  He has been defensive minded since high school when he was an allstate linebacker.  He then played dline at Albion, I believe he coached on the defensive side at St. Joe's, & started at dline at DC. 
On what they pay D3 assistants it is rough to live on that kind of $.  But sports are not the primary focus at DIII schools, so you won't see to much support for higher wages for the coaches no matter what the athletic programs bring to the schools.  Just an opinion though.
"If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging."
Will Rogers
"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms."
Mike Ditka

ADAWGISADAWG4LIFE

I cant see Taylor as the OC at Defiance either as he is a defensive guy.  Their offense for the last several years has been a bit scattered, its as if they can not quite decide on an identity.  They have been option and spread which is two different ends of the spectrum.  With the defense they have and if the offense improved they could be a dominant teams, they definetly have some quality skill players.  AS far as assistant salaries in DIII, I know at Adrian that the full time assistants get hired in at 35grand and we have the staff of 4 interns as well with one intern making 15grand plus meals housing and benefits and the other three making 7500 plus meals housing and benefits.  It is definelty not the level you are going to rake in the big bucks though as most jobs I have seen are in the 20's even at some of the DII's.  I knew the online coach at Tiffin and he was only making around 28grand so it is definetly not a big money industry.

On a side note the DC from Defiance was supposed to interview for the Adrian job this past week but they cancelled on him and hired from within, any info on why he is shopping around?  Is he looking to get the raise that would come with another schools job?
You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day.

dc_has_been

Adrian has always seemed to have done a good job supporting their football program.  I always enjoyed the atmosphere when we played there (even for J.V. games). 
On passing up on DC's past dcoord., I think that was a mistake.  Hiring within is always good, but picking up a young coordinator w/ a proven past & fellow Michigander could have helped the program.
"If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging."
Will Rogers
"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms."
Mike Ditka