MBB: United East Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, January 21, 2005, 12:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

Perhaps that statement is the source of the stars.

Howard Megdal

Perhaps so. But to my mind, when a program greatly upgrades its schedule (Bard went from 7 NCAA games last season to 16 this season), and shows the ability to play with many of those teams, despite roster-wide injury problems, it is moving forward.  
When I went to school at Bard, the coach actually refused to let me broadcast the home game against Becker because he thought it would embarrass the program. This year, at Becker, we lost by a point.  
In previous years, Bard has struggled to make the HVMAC tournament- this year, they're playing competitively enough to have a legitimate shot at winning it.  
Last year at this time, I was hoping we'd find ourselves a better conference with an automatic NCAA bid. This year, Coach Wood has the imminent move to the NEAC to sell to recruits. The move to the NEAC will also make it possible to have a full slate of NCAA games on the schedule next year. Such a move was unfathomable just a short time ago.
If some people don't see this as progress, so be it. I am well aware that the ultimate judge is wins and losses, and as I think I made clear in my previous post, it has been disappointing to see so many losses (particularly difficult are the close losses- 5 of the 11 are by 7 points or less).  
But that frustration, to my mind, is no reason to ignore the progress the program has made, or the potential such progress has made for the future. And I feel badly for anyone who is so intent on running down a program trying to do the right things that he can't see those building blocks.

Caz Bombers

Howard: Hey, believe me, I'm not trying to run down Bard at all, I wish the best for them, seeing as how I live about 30 minutes from campus.

I've read previous battles with Pat C and the NJAC posters about these issues and found the whole debate hilarious.  

I just don't see what it is that you want, Howard. Should Bard get a medal for finally leaving the pathetic HVAC for the still-pathetic, yet NCAA-recognized NEAC? OK that's not fair. Congratulations on joining the rest of the real D3 world, I guess.

I think the problem here is that Bard is making baby steps but you are selling it like they just finished a marathon.

Howard Megdal

Caz, I wasn't aware that I wanted anything. Hooplafan asked where I was, so I thought it was appropriate to respond. You asked me what I meant about them moving forward, so I gave you examples.  
If a post talking about it being a rough year, with losses and injuries, but still being excited about the progress of the program is over the top in your opinion, then we'll have to agree to disagree.
I believe I've made this clear before, but to reiterate- I don't believe that Bard is at the level of an elite D3 program by any stretch. I do believe they've moved forward from what was a program in name only, and I'm quite pleased about it. Also, I believe the move to a better, NCAA-sanctioned conference and more challenging schedule bodes well for the future.  
If either of these statements seem to indicate that I am 1) crazy or 2) demanding a medal, then I don't know what to tell you.

Caz Bombers

It's all good, Howard. I understand. Your initial statement confused me and seemed a little "out there" so I asked for clarification and I got it.

Again, I'll be rooting for Bard to win the NEAC and get to the tournament ASAP. By the way, when does the league get an auto bid and Bard officially join? Next year?

Caz Bombers

I also hope that the Bard athletic department realizes what a great fan it has in Howard Megdal and that they continue to ramp up their efforts to become competitive and draw more fans like him.

It's like The Voice says, If You Build It, They Will Come. Even Bard students will put down their bongs and hackeysacks and show up at Stevenson Gym for a winning team. The Red Hook/Germantown/Annandale community will as well, we're starved for good D3 hoops in the Mid Hudson Valley.

Howard Megdal

Caz,
     I'm glad to hear it- if you're close, you definitely should come out to the HVMAC tourney at Bard this year 2/19 and 2/20- should be a great time.
     Bard joins the NEAC next year, and the automatic bid is also happening in 2005-2006, according to what I've been told. Hopefully Coach Wood can add some depth to what will be the senior year for our four top players, and we can compete for it. Honestly, I have no idea how realistic that will be- it all depends on who we add and who everyone else brings back and adds. Still, Bard's chances for a bid next year are infinitely better than they are this year, just by virtue of being in a league where it is possible.
As far as excitement, you are right on the money. A winning team will excite even the most jaded liberal arts student- and events like Take a Kid to the Game Day have already had SRO community responses. A consistently winning program would offer badly needed entertainment in the Mid-Hudson region.
    Thank you for the kind words, both for myself and the program.

Mike Dougherty aka Knightstalker

The post from Ralph Turner dated 12/15 has the NEAC press release from last march stating the conference will be eligible for an AQ in the 2006-2007 season.

Howard Megdal

Mike,  
     I'll go ahead and check that out- I keep hearing two different years. Nice win for Bard tonight, 80-60 at SUNY-Maritime.

Bigdaddy

Is there anyone down in the NEAC that could give Fisher or Potsdam a challenge in the postseason?

Caz Bombers

Nobody from this league will be there, Bigdaddy. No auto bid and no Pool B hopes either. And even if there were, there's nobody in this league that could even beat New Paltz on their own floor.

hooplafan

Possibly Keystone, but I haven't actually seen them play - but they're actually out of the East Region.  They're on a tear though.

hooplafan

Recent NEAC scores:

1/21  
Keuka 76, Philly Bible 72
1/22
Cazenovia 81, Philly Bible 69
D'Youville 67, PS-Berks 66
Keystone 85, Chestnut Hill 76
1/25
Mt. St. Vincent 83, Polytechnic 60
SUNY IT 73, Cazenovia 64
1/26
Keuka 86, Cazenovia 78
Villa Julie 94, PS-Berks 67

The 1/23 game of Chestnut Hill @ Caz is rescheduled for 1/31.

Current Standings & Leaders (does not include last night's games, possibly more):

http://www.neacsports.com/Winter/mens_basketball_stats.htm" target=_top>http://www.neacsports.com/Winter/mens_basketball_stats.htm

Bigdaddy

Has Keystone beaten anyone of note outside the NEAC?