FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HScoach

Ralph,  it should be noted that I'm not saying 2004 wasn't a good team.  Just not a good Mount team.  Over the last 25 years there's a big difference between good from a national perspective versus what it takes to be one of the better Mount teams. 

2004 was not one of the better Mount teams.  2007 absolutely was. 
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: HScoach on January 12, 2018, 06:49:18 PM
Ralph,  it should be noted that I'm not saying 2004 wasn't a good team.  Just not a good Mount team.  Over the last 25 years there's a big difference between good from a national perspective versus what it takes to be one of the better Mount teams. 

Thanks.  +1!

I wondered if a MUC team that only made it to the Semis was not one of the best 15 teams in the last 25 years and I am grateful for your assessment.

Essentially, that MUC team was not good enough to defend home field against a Playoff newbie. That was only UMHB's third trip into the playoffs and the first playoffs for them to have won a post-season game.

Desertraider

Quote from: emma17 on January 12, 2018, 06:10:29 PM
Quote from: desertraider on January 12, 2018, 03:46:06 PM
Quote from: emma17 on January 12, 2018, 11:08:06 AM
Quote from: Dr. Acula on January 11, 2018, 07:51:52 PM
IMO 2007 hurt worse than 2014.  2014 I thought UWW was just a little better than Mount.  It is what it is.  2007 Mount had Kmic, Micheli, Garcon and they needed one of them to step up big.  Instead it was Justin Beaver who did.  If Mount could have slowed him down at all they win that game because UWW's QB that year was not good.  Definitely no where near Blanchard.

As a Stagg Bowl observer, I can see why 2007 hurts more. Of the Mt teams I've seen since 2005, the 2007 team imo was the all around best/toughest. UWW had to play an amazing game in all aspects to have a chance, and they did. Many of us UWW/UWO guys feel we witnessed the greatest individual game played by a UWW middle linebacker- Jace Rindahl. That Mt team was loaded on offense and as I recall, the D only gave up 4-5 points per game.
Dr, I wonder why you feel the UWW QB, Danny Jones, wasn't good? I'd take him in a heartbeat. He made throws, ran well and took big hits that game.

Seriously Emma? Gotta bring up that name? Almost deserving of "-K" just for making me relive it (But I am bigger than that.....merle probably isn't  ;D). He was one I was glad to see graduate and move on.

He was a Jr, so you got him back the following year.
I remember Mt's mlb wasn't so shabby either. I believe he forced at least one of Beaver's fumble w a perfect form tackle.

That Mount team had Tony DeRiggi at 1 LB spot and his Biceps at the other.
RIP MUC57 - Go Everybody!
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017
The Autumn Wind is a Raider!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEYK_XjyLg
Immaculate Prevention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLq_acsVN0

Desertraider

Quote from: Ralph Turner on January 12, 2018, 07:10:11 PM
Quote from: HScoach on January 12, 2018, 06:49:18 PM

Thanks.  +1!

I wondered if a MUC team that only made it to the Semis was not one of the best 15 teams in the last 25 years and I am grateful for your assessment.

Essentially, that MUC team was not good enough to defend home field against a Playoff newbie. That was only UMHB's third trip into the playoffs and the first playoffs for them to have won a post-season game.

2004 was the UMHB game I experienced in the Desert. I remember live stats froze for like 10 or 15 minutes so I am seeing Mount with the lead, like 5 seconds (don't remember exact time) on clock and I was waiting, and waiting, and then...WTF? That was a great team but I think the 4th qtr D hurt them more in terms of play calling. I seem to remember they went real conservative, almost prevent D like.
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

Desertraider

HScoach

Safety Jesse Clum was injured in the 4th and he was sorely missed on the last drive.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

Desertraider

In other news Mount alum and former LB Coach Stan Watson was let go by the Browns. Rumor is many Browns players responded "why does he get to leave!"

hsbsballcoach7

If you guys don't venture over, check out the MIAC board. They're debating if a Mount Union team with Alabama Oline and Dline could beat Minnesota😂😂😂

Obviously it's a down time if that's what they're talking about!

Desertraider

Quote from: hsbsballcoach7 on January 13, 2018, 10:46:17 AM
If you guys don't venture over, check out the MIAC board. They're debating if a Mount Union team with Alabama Oline and Dline could beat Minnesota😂😂😂

Sounds interesting - more interesting is constructing an all-Mount team that could beat a D1 team. 

Desertraider

RIP Mr Keith Jackson. Whooooa Nelly!

WRMUalum13

Quote from: desertraider on January 13, 2018, 11:15:43 AM

Sounds interesting - more interesting is constructing an all-Mount team that could beat a D1 team.

FBS only right? Because Wesley has beaten FCS in the Past. Wouldn't be much of a discussion lol.

hsbsballcoach7

That would be interesting...this would be my depth chart:
WR- Garçon, Bubonics, Namdar
WR- Shorts, Knapp, Knestrick
WR-Marino, Collins
RB-Kmic, Moore, Pugh, Nemeth
QB- Borchert, Ballard, Burke/Micheli, Smeck
TE-Miller, Atwood
OL- Blanchard, Kinnard, Parrish, Weimer, Gerber (Weber...had a hard time with determining bench guys)

Wow, that would be a tough offense to stop! Run or throw the ball. That Oline would be legitimately good and would compete against D1 teams.

I'm running a 4-3 defense if I'm getting to pick my Dline!
DE-Lally, Yoder
DT-Stickley, Budzinski
DT- Mcculough, Hallet
DE-Campbell, Herbert
sOLB-Dieuseul, Rodgers
MLB-Hall, Lasecki, DeRiggi
wOLB-Gibbons, Spisak
CB-Kern, I.Scott, Jonah Wilson
CB-Ely,Tre Jones,Alex Grinch
SS-Driskill, Kostelnik
FS-Clum, Bugara

P- Snyder (Especially after this past season) then Jay Carpenter
K-Zimmerman, Edelman, Ruhnke

Pick away at my thoughts!

hsbsballcoach7

IMO this team would beat Kent State and Akron right now...just the sad state of their programs, even though Akron went to a Bowl game I still don't think they're good.

WRMUalum13

Quote from: hsbsballcoach7 on January 13, 2018, 12:47:26 PM

WR-Marino, Collins
TE-Miller, Atwood
OL- Blanchard, Kinnard, Parrish, Weimer, Gerber (Weber...had a hard time with determining bench guys)

Wow, that would be a tough offense to stop! Run or throw the ball. That Oline would be legitimately good and would compete against D1 teams.

DE-Lally, Yoder
DT-Stickley, Budzinski
DT- Mcculough, Hallet
DE-Campbell, Herbert
sOLB-Dieuseul, Rodgers
wOLB-Gibbons, Spisak
SS-Driskill, Kostelnik
FS-Clum, Bugara

Don't forget PR or KR, id put Garçon as KR1 and  Denton as PR1

Dr. Acula

Quote from: hsbsballcoach7 on January 13, 2018, 12:47:26 PM

WR-Marino, Collins
TE-Miller, Atwood

DE-Lally, Yoder
DT-Stickley, Budzinski
DT- Mcculough, Hallet
DE-Campbell, Herbert
sOLB-Dieuseul, Rodgers
wOLB-Gibbons, Spisak
SS-Driskill, Kostelnik
FS-Clum, Bugara

Nice roster!

I'd put Mark Black as an OLB and move Spisak to MLB (I think he played middle?).

I'm pretty sure Grinch played S so I'd drop in Mike Miller there at CB.

Personal preference, but I'd flip flop Clum and Bugara at S.

I'd probably drop Namdar for Denton or Kennedy purely because I want them to return punts.  If I have Moore at KR and CD/TK at PR I feel really good that I'm going to hurt you with my special teams at least once a game.

O line is tough.  I don't know how you don't start with Kinnard and Weimer at tackle.  Gerber was a beast too so I think you have to find somewhere for him as a starter too.  Bench guys I'd add one of the AA centers (Bauer/Malone/Doraty) plus Tate and Rychel/Frank.  You always need a big guard with a nasty streak just in case!