FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merlecanlas

Quote from: emma17 on January 11, 2018, 06:55:46 PM
Quote from: WRMUalum13 on January 11, 2018, 05:52:26 PM
Quote from: emma17 on January 11, 2018, 03:53:23 PM
^^
Yeah, that's sort of what happens when you run into a wall.

Merle's got a point though, the fumble right before half was a result of a uww play but it was self inflicted, because they should have been running out the half instead of Throwing the ball around. It was the type of panicked play calling mounts opponents usually fall into when they fall behind.

Yes UWW resulted in a lot of the bad plays, but there were quite a few unforced errors like the above mentioned play

Blah, blah, blah. For cry eye, don't you Mt fans hate it when nearly every team you beat has a similar "but only" story? The fumble before half resulted in a field goal for UWW. Not the game changed you'd like it to be. I seem to remember UWW missing a chip shot field goal later in the game.
Did UWW play a perfect game? Did they have any unforced errors themselves? I seem to remember the great UWW QB missing a super easy screen pass in the fourth that would have had been a TD.
Your young coach wasn't to blame for the 80 yard screen pass TD that happened after UWW fell behind. Rather, it was incredibly determined UWW players making blocks all over the field. Mt scored 34 points that game, but gave up 43.

please speak up.  You have no idea how loud it gets when you try to polish 12 championship rings to try to get ready for #13 to join them.  It's that squeaking sound mostly, but times 12.   

Dr. Acula

IMO 2007 hurt worse than 2014.  2014 I thought UWW was just a little better than Mount.  It is what it is.  2007 Mount had Kmic, Micheli, Garcon and they needed one of them to step up big.  Instead it was Justin Beaver who did.  If Mount could have slowed him down at all they win that game because UWW's QB that year was not good.  Definitely no where near Blanchard.

hsbsballcoach7

Mount picks up a big "commit" from Jordan Crawford. He's a RB out of PA that was 1st team all state playing 6A division. He racked up over 1,800 yards and 30 TDs. He's out of Pine-Richland HS and played with Phil Jurkovec (ND commit and a top QB nationally). He may have benefited from a big arm, but the kid can play. Pair that with Petro in 2 years....nice thought

WRMUalum13

Quote from: emma17 on January 11, 2018, 06:55:46 PM
Quote from: WRMUalum13 on January 11, 2018, 05:52:26 PM
Quote from: emma17 on January 11, 2018, 03:53:23 PM
^^
Yeah, that's sort of what happens when you run into a wall.

Merle's got a point though, the fumble right before half was a result of a uww play but it was self inflicted, because they should have been running out the half instead of Throwing the ball around. It was the type of panicked play calling mounts opponents usually fall into when they fall behind.

Yes UWW resulted in a lot of the bad plays, but there were quite a few unforced errors like the above mentioned play

Blah, blah, blah. For cry eye, don't you Mt fans hate it when nearly every team you beat has a similar "but only" story? The fumble before half resulted in a field goal for UWW. Not the game changed you'd like it to be. I seem to remember UWW missing a chip shot field goal later in the game.
Did UWW play a perfect game? Did they have any unforced errors themselves? I seem to remember the great UWW QB missing a super easy screen pass in the fourth that would have had been a TD.
Your young coach wasn't to blame for the 80 yard screen pass TD that happened after UWW fell behind. Rather, it was incredibly determined UWW players making blocks all over the field. Mt scored 34 points that game, but gave up 43.

You're not wrong, but can you really blame me for "if only" comments , This is the OAC boards in the off season, where else should my biased and weakly supported opinions go? The entire concept of a let's rank the best Mount Union teams is a purely speculative exercise.

WRMUalum13

Quote from: hsbsballcoach7 on January 11, 2018, 09:07:03 PM
Mount picks up a big "commit" from Jordan Crawford. He's a RB out of PA that was 1st team all state playing 6A division. He racked up over 1,800 yards and 30 TDs. He's out of Pine-Richland HS and played with Phil Jurkovec (ND commit and a top QB nationally). He may have benefited from a big arm, but the kid can play. Pair that with Petro in 2 years....nice thought

Wow, for those who don't know bigger number = bigger school in PA unlike Ohio, 6A is like d1 or d2 equivalent in Ohio. Very impressive, surprised he didn't get snatched up by Duquesne or Robert Morris. Guess size was just a deal breaker.

emma17

Quote from: Dr. Acula on January 11, 2018, 07:51:52 PM
IMO 2007 hurt worse than 2014.  2014 I thought UWW was just a little better than Mount.  It is what it is.  2007 Mount had Kmic, Micheli, Garcon and they needed one of them to step up big.  Instead it was Justin Beaver who did.  If Mount could have slowed him down at all they win that game because UWW's QB that year was not good.  Definitely no where near Blanchard.

As a Stagg Bowl observer, I can see why 2007 hurts more. Of the Mt teams I've seen since 2005, the 2007 team imo was the all around best/toughest. UWW had to play an amazing game in all aspects to have a chance, and they did. Many of us UWW/UWO guys feel we witnessed the greatest individual game played by a UWW middle linebacker- Jace Rindahl. That Mt team was loaded on offense and as I recall, the D only gave up 4-5 points per game.
Dr, I wonder why you feel the UWW QB, Danny Jones, wasn't good? I'd take him in a heartbeat. He made throws, ran well and took big hits that game.

merlecanlas

Quote from: hsbsballcoach7 on January 11, 2018, 09:07:03 PM

this kid is fast.  looks like a hell of an athlete.  good pick up

WRMUalum13

Yeah 2014 had some weapons on O but can't really compare to two future NFL draft picks. That's more than some FBS programs have on a team at one time. That game was before my time, but it sounds like an a crazy underachievement. What happened?

merlecanlas

Quote from: WRMUalum13 on January 12, 2018, 02:58:53 PM

Yeah 2014 had some weapons on O but can't really compare to two future NFL draft picks. That's more than some FBS programs have on a team at one time. That game was before my time, but it sounds like an a crazy underachievement. What happened?

cold rain and Mount fumbled their national championship hopes away, again and again

Desertraider

Quote from: emma17 on January 12, 2018, 11:08:06 AM

As a Stagg Bowl observer, I can see why 2007 hurts more. Of the Mt teams I've seen since 2005, the 2007 team imo was the all around best/toughest. UWW had to play an amazing game in all aspects to have a chance, and they did. Many of us UWW/UWO guys feel we witnessed the greatest individual game played by a UWW middle linebacker- Jace Rindahl. That Mt team was loaded on offense and as I recall, the D only gave up 4-5 points per game.
Dr, I wonder why you feel the UWW QB, Danny Jones, wasn't good? I'd take him in a heartbeat. He made throws, ran well and took big hits that game.

Seriously Emma? Gotta bring up that name? Almost deserving of "-K" just for making me relive it (But I am bigger than that.....merle probably isn't  ;D). He was one I was glad to see graduate and move on.
RIP MUC57 - Go Everybody!
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017
The Autumn Wind is a Raider!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEYK_XjyLg
Immaculate Prevention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLq_acsVN0

Ralph Turner

Quote from: HScoach on January 10, 2018, 12:08:36 PM
Quote from: bluestreak66 on January 08, 2018, 09:58:38 AM
Now that the season is over, I was thinking it might be kind of fun to identify the best team in the history of each OAC school! I'll let you Mount folk figure that out lol, but I'll start with JCU. I'd say it would have to be the 2016 team. They reached the semis in 2002, but that season, they were rolled by Mount twice. in 16, they came within a touchdown of heading for Salem. There were also some good teams in the 50s, but they didn't achieve the same post season success as the 2016 team.
For BW, it would have to be 1978, aka, the only year BW football as done anything haha!
Any others?

I know you asked for only the best team, but that's too easy to do with Mount since 1997 is a runaway train.   So I took the liberty of doing a Top 15.   Here's my 2 cents on the top Mount teams that I've seen since 1992 when the run to the top began:

Here's my 2 cents on the top Mount teams that I've seen since 1992 when the run began to the top:

1.   1997 - by a wide margin.  Lead by 4-year starter Bill Borchert, best QB to ever play at Mount.  His senior year was 61 TD's / 2 INT's.  The first of the great receiving corps with Knestric & Gollate out wide.  Defense led by junior MLB Jason Hall, the best of the best LB's in Mount history.  A true game changing LB who was regarded as the best in the conference, even over London Fletcher of Washington Redskins fame.

2.   2008 – Kmic was the most prolific RB in NCAA history. Micheli won the Gagliardi and was throwing to a NFL receiver in Cecil Shorts.  Kmic finished '08 with 2,790 yards / 43 TD.  Micheli completed 75% of his passes with 36 TD's.

3.   1993 – Jim Ballard won the first Gagliardi Award and is the Webster's definition of swagger.     70.1% completion / 4,572 yards / 54 TD's / 14 INT's.  Wasn't the pure athlete at QB that Borchert was, but he had a gun for an arm and ice in his veins.  IMHO, the greatest of the great leaders in Mount in history.  Had one of the top 5 WR's ever in Ed Bubonics and the best ever TE in Rob Atwood.  Defense was led by some guy named Mike Hallett who had 111 tackles, at DT.   Though most forget about him, Jim Gresko rushed for 1,517 yards/16 TD and caught 71 passes for 638 yards/11 TD's.  That was a scary good offense.

4.   2007 – Micheli & Kmic as juniors with Pierre Garcon as a senior.  Great team that came within a fumble in the freezing rain of a 4th title in a row.

5.   2001 – Great backfield of Gagliardi winning TB Chuck Moore and Dan Pugh, who won it the next year.   Defense was led by Matt Campbell, probably the best DE in Mount history.

6.   2015 – very good team that turned it up a few notches come playoff time.   Rose to the occasion along the O and D lines when it mattered most.   Logan Nemeth broke thru at RB to become Kmic-like and T Scott played with poise at QB.   Best player on the field was DT Tom Lally, who arguably was the best DT in Mount history.  At least most productive DT.

7.   2012 – very talented, senior dominated team across the board except for super sophomore Kevin Burke at QB.  Would be higher on list if they had better line play.  Good up front, but not great. 

8.   1996 – see the 1997 team, only as juniors

9.   1992 – The 1993 team as juniors dominated the semi-final at LaCrosse but turned it over 5 times on a frozen field.  Great team that came back in 1993 with an undying focus to win the first title.

10.   2002 – Led by Gagliardi winning RB Dan Pugh, 2,303 yards / 6.0 avg / 41 TD's, the '02 Raiders cruised to the title with a punishing ground game and a QB (Rob Adamson) that didn't get to show off his big arm due to the dominating ground game. 

11.   2006 – younger version of 2007.

12.   1998 - Very young team lead by a stud MLB (Jason Hall) and a bunch of kids that would end up great players.  Won a ton of close games that they had no business winning.

13.   2017 – Great WR corps made the offense go, but line play and RB's were average.   Defense stepped up when needed to win a title but too inconsistent to be any higher on the list. 

14.   2000 – solid in all phases, but not dominant other than Chuck Moore.   

15.   2005 – offense with limited QB play that caught lightning with Kmic as a freshman in the playoffs.
;)  So, the 2004 UMU team was chopped liver? 

emma17

Quote from: desertraider on January 12, 2018, 03:46:06 PM
Quote from: emma17 on January 12, 2018, 11:08:06 AM

Seriously Emma? Gotta bring up that name? Almost deserving of "-K" just for making me relive it (But I am bigger than that.....merle probably isn't  ;D). He was one I was glad to see graduate and move on.

He was a Jr, so you got him back the following year.
I remember Mt's mlb wasn't so shabby either. I believe he forced at least one of Beaver's fumble w a perfect form tackle.

HScoach

Ralph:  yes, 2004 was not a good Mount team.  QB was pretty athletic,  but not Taurice Scott or Greg Micheli athletic.  And he was horribly inaccurate.   Completion % was good, but more often threw a pass that the WR had to leap, slide, etc to catch which eliminated any chance for running after the catch.    RB's were not difference makers.   Rest of team was fine, but limitations at QB and RB is hard to overcome.

This was the case the entire season with QB Zac Bruney.  And the year before as well. 
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

MUC57

emma17 and desertraider

Speaking of linebackers. I told emma17 a few years back that I asked Nate Kmic, the greatest stat wise, running back in the history of college football, who were the toughest guys he played against. With almost no hesitation, he said the Wisconsin-Whitewater linebackers. So, desertraider, Rindahl was only one of a whole group of Standout LB's. Hearing any of those names made me nervous.
Just a passing comment.
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠