FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HScoach

Nice list.   Hard to find anything way out of line.

I second the vote for Mark Black at OLB.  He was a beast.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: merlecanlas on January 12, 2018, 11:52:59 AM
Quote from: hsbsballcoach7 on January 11, 2018, 09:07:03 PM
Mount picks up a big "commit" from Jordan Crawford. He's a RB out of PA that was 1st team all state playing 6A division. He racked up over 1,800 yards and 30 TDs. He's out of Pine-Richland HS and played with Phil Jurkovec (ND commit and a top QB nationally). He may have benefited from a big arm, but the kid can play. Pair that with Petro in 2 years....nice thought

this kid is fast.  looks like a hell of an athlete.  good pick up

WPIAL and PIAA champs, played RB and DB, first team all-state as an Athlete.  Sounds like he found the right home for himself.  Couple inches too short, few pounds too light.  Come on over!

gizzmo13

pretty cool list of all time greats.  i really think if kurt rocco would have started a few years instead of just one he might be on that list.  he gets overlooked cause he only started one year. too bad his time at mount overlapped with the likes of greg michiei. how many mount qbs have started only one year since the glory days begun?  i can only think rocco and tarice .  fulford doesn't count .

Desertraider

Quote from: gizzmo13 on January 14, 2018, 12:02:42 PM
pretty cool list of all time greats.  i really think if kurt rocco would have started a few years instead of just one he might be on that list.  he gets overlooked cause he only started one year. too bad his time at mount overlapped with the likes of greg michiei. how many mount qbs have started only one year since the glory days begun?  i can only think rocco and tarice .  fulford doesn't count .

Over the years I have heard so much about Rocco could have done and that fine. We all have our opinions however, Micheli was perhaps the most intelligent QB Mount ever had. Not just academically - but his football smarts were excellent. Rocco threw a nice ball most of the time....but well lets just say he threw a nice ball most of the time.
RIP MUC57 - Go Everybody!
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017
The Autumn Wind is a Raider!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEYK_XjyLg
Immaculate Prevention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLq_acsVN0

gizzmo13

justin wray is another name that comes to mind if he coulda started multiple years and once again a great player in front of him .  i believe it was kmic . so what im getting at is that i wonder if luke poorman will be the next great that never was due to so much talent at the position ?

Dr. Acula

Justin Wray was a guy I thought of for my additions/subtractions list.  He's not a stat accumulator (although his stats on a per touch basis were great), but if you were building an all-time team to play a game he has to be in the conversation due to his lethal versatility.  That dude was a problem as a runner and a receiver for defenses.  To me he was kind of Dave Hassey 2.0.

Dr. Acula

You could probably count Burghardt?  He only "started" 1 year and rotated with Bruney even then.  The sad thing is that Jesse Burghardt was what pre-knee injury Seaman could have been (meaning similar skill set).  Some may just shrug their shoulders at that, but you drop Burghardt in the Piloto/hobbled Seaman Stagg Bowl and you have another ring.     

merlecanlas

Rocco getting knocked out against Wesley in the semi's cost Mount a title

merlecanlas

Quote from: desertraider on January 12, 2018, 09:18:20 PM
Quote from: emma17 on January 12, 2018, 06:10:29 PM
Quote from: desertraider on January 12, 2018, 03:46:06 PM
Quote from: emma17 on January 12, 2018, 11:08:06 AM
Quote from: Dr. Acula on January 11, 2018, 07:51:52 PM
IMO 2007 hurt worse than 2014.  2014 I thought UWW was just a little better than Mount.  It is what it is.  2007 Mount had Kmic, Micheli, Garcon and they needed one of them to step up big.  Instead it was Justin Beaver who did.  If Mount could have slowed him down at all they win that game because UWW's QB that year was not good.  Definitely no where near Blanchard.

As a Stagg Bowl observer, I can see why 2007 hurts more. Of the Mt teams I've seen since 2005, the 2007 team imo was the all around best/toughest. UWW had to play an amazing game in all aspects to have a chance, and they did. Many of us UWW/UWO guys feel we witnessed the greatest individual game played by a UWW middle linebacker- Jace Rindahl. That Mt team was loaded on offense and as I recall, the D only gave up 4-5 points per game.
Dr, I wonder why you feel the UWW QB, Danny Jones, wasn't good? I'd take him in a heartbeat. He made throws, ran well and took big hits that game.

Seriously Emma? Gotta bring up that name? Almost deserving of "-K" just for making me relive it (But I am bigger than that.....merle probably isn't  ;D). He was one I was glad to see graduate and move on.

He was a Jr, so you got him back the following year.
I remember Mt's mlb wasn't so shabby either. I believe he forced at least one of Beaver's fumble w a perfect form tackle.

That Mount team had Tony DeRiggi at 1 LB spot and his Biceps at the other.

watching DeRiggi try to squeeze into a desk in Chapman was always interesting.  Dude was a monster

J Wray was a stud as well, just happened to fall behind an NCAA all time great (Kmic) and an insane amount of WR talent.  Hell of a player though

hsbsballcoach7

I really liked Wray as well as a do it all. I actually thought about Denton or Kennedy in the slot. I thought Denton was a fantastic PR and had great hands. It was a nice combo for Burke to throw it to. Denton and Collins caught just about everything!

Personally I had a hard time not putting BJ Mitchell or Taurice Scott on offense somewhere. Personally, I would think really hard about starting Micheli because he would be a great distributor. I wouldn't need a star at QB, just someone who knows where the ball needs to go each play and control the game. He was still pretty darn good at making throws and running when necessary.

On defense, I felt like I left off some good ones from recent years like Joe Millings, Sam Kershaw, and Alex Kocheff. Guys that seemed to be in the right place at the right time like Mcclain, Gonnell, Spencer, BJ Payne...we could go on and on. My favorite defensive player to watch was definitely Dieuseul though. Man excelled at DE and LB, so I put him at end with all of the great linebackers we've had.

We are blessed to even have to have a discussion about so many great players that aren't even mentioned. My favorites when I first became a fan were Rob Adamson at QB and Randall Knapp! They were what got me started when I was younger.

hsbsballcoach7

Now this has me all nostalgic....that 2001 team had some kind of roster:
Adamson spent time in NFL
Moore and Pugh- 2 all time great MUC RBs
Randall Knapp- AA WR
Burghardt and Bruney we're backup QBs
Jason Candle- great player and current head coach at Toledo
Nick Sirianni-WR coach for LA Chargers
Matt Campbell-current head coach at Iowa State
Alex Grinch- current co Defensive Coordinator at The OSU
Chris Kern- great CB and was briefly with NFL
Not to forget AA players Spisak, Miller, Kinnard

As a local HS fan, I forgot Eric Heinzer was on the roster, what a great HS RB he was a Perry. The roster looked like many more local kids. It's amazing the way recruiting has expanded to all states.

What a recruiting tool that roster was!

Dr. Acula

If our hypothetical team was playing with a playoff roster limit then a guy like Taurice would be on the squad IMO.  WR/QB/KR and he can do all of them well.

One guy from the current team I neglected is Vidal.  He'd be in the group of unsung but very good interior D linemen we could pick from joining guys like Fechko, Williamson, Dillard, etc. up for backup spots.  hsbsballcoach7 included my favorite of those guys already (Pat McCullough).  Not the biggest dude, but what a disruptive player. 

Dr. Acula

Mount wins a title AND the Steelers leave the field to boos after blowing a home playoff game almost everyone expected them to win.  Not even the Browns can make that anything but a fantastic football season!   ;D

hsbsballcoach7

Quote from: Dr. Acula on January 14, 2018, 03:22:41 PM
If our hypothetical team was playing with a playoff roster limit then a guy like Taurice would be on the squad IMO.  WR/QB/KR and he can do all of them well.

One guy from the current team I neglected is Vidal.  He'd be in the group of unsung but very good interior D linemen we could pick from joining guys like Fechko, Williamson, Dillard, etc. up for backup spots.  hsbsballcoach7 included my favorite of those guys already (Pat McCullough).  Not the biggest dude, but what a disruptive player.

Agreed on Vidal. I actually had him in my list, but traded Hallet for him. Williamson was one I was trying to think of but couldn't remember. I'll never forget the last 2 games of 2012, Fechko came up huge in that comeback vs UMHB and played a great game vs UST!

joelmama

Quote from: hsbsballcoach7 on January 13, 2018, 12:47:26 PM
Quote from: desertraider on January 13, 2018, 11:15:43 AM
Quote from: hsbsballcoach7 on January 13, 2018, 10:46:17 AM
If you guys don't venture over, check out the MIAC board. They're debating if a Mount Union team with Alabama Oline and Dline could beat Minnesota😂😂😂

Obviously it's a down time if that's what they're talking about!

Sounds interesting - more interesting is constructing an all-Mount team that could beat a D1 team.

That would be interesting...this would be my depth chart:
WR- Garçon, Bubonics, Namdar
WR- Shorts, Knapp, Knestrick
WR-Marino, Collins
RB-Kmic, Moore, Pugh, Nemeth
QB- Borchert, Ballard, Burke/Micheli, Smeck
TE-Miller, Atwood
OL- Blanchard, Kinnard, Parrish, Weimer, Gerber (Weber...had a hard time with determining bench guys)

Wow, that would be a tough offense to stop! Run or throw the ball. That Oline would be legitimately good and would compete against D1 teams.

I'm running a 4-3 defense if I'm getting to pick my Dline!
DE-Lally, Yoder
DT-Stickley, Budzinski
DT- Mcculough, Hallet
DE-Campbell, Herbert
sOLB-Dieuseul, Rodgers
MLB-Hall, Lasecki, DeRiggi
wOLB-Gibbons, Spisak
CB-Kern, I.Scott, Jonah Wilson
CB-Ely,Tre Jones,Alex Grinch
SS-Driskill, Kostelnik
FS-Clum, Bugara

P- Snyder (Especially after this past season) then Jay Carpenter