MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greek Tragedy

In the Fantasy Land....

Obviously the big game is Eureka at Greenville for me. I added Eureka's Bennington, not only for this game, but hopefully for the long haul. He disappointed midweek, but Feehan made up for that. Another poster added Hank Thomas, specifically for this game, I believe, so I'll try to watch the live stats with added interest. I'm hoping both my guys go for 60+ fpts. I'll even let Thomas get 40 fpts if it means a Eureka win.

I'll be checking the boxscore of the MacMurray game to see what Brent Long does. I am not playing him, but his stats will be of great interest to me. It was that Blackburn game last weekend where he was held scoreless and played just 24 minutes. Midweek, he bounced back with a solid 14 pts and 12 rebounds, but still a subpar 29 fpts. 33-37 fpts is what I expect from Mr. Long. He did only play 20 minutes while accumulating 3 fouls, so he has to be nursing an injury or something. Hopefully he'll break out today to show me he still can put up good numbers for me going forward.

Lastly, the Principia v Iowa Wesleyan game has added interest because I recently reacquired Micah Paulson. I really don't know why, maybe it's my love for SLIAC players or maybe the fact he went for about 40 fpts midweek. Maybe it's because he's taking on the 2nd worst defense in the league. I don't know. Anyway, I'm starting him, so hopefully he won't disappoint. Speaking of disappointing, Brock Butler put up what amounts to an egg for me midweek against MacMurray. A poor shooting night and 4 turnovers resulted in a 24-pt fantasy output. To remind you, I gave up Newbury's Daivon Edwards for Brock and Edwards scored 50+ fantasy points on Thursday. Mr. Butler has to show me I didn't make a mistake. I'm not expecting 50, but 35 will regain my faith in him.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

hopefan

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on January 20, 2018, 07:36:21 AM
In the Fantasy Land....

Obviously the big game is Eureka at Greenville for me. I added Eureka's Bennington, not only for this game, but hopefully for the long haul. He disappointed midweek, but Feehan made up for that. Another poster added Hank Thomas, specifically for this game, I believe, so I'll try to watch the live stats with added interest. I'm hoping both my guys go for 60+ fpts. I'll even let Thomas get 40 fpts if it means a Eureka win.

I'll be checking the boxscore of the MacMurray game to see what Brent Long does. I am not playing him, but his stats will be of great interest to me. It was that Blackburn game last weekend where he was held scoreless and played just 24 minutes. Midweek, he bounced back with a solid 14 pts and 12 rebounds, but still a subpar 29 fpts. 33-37 fpts is what I expect from Mr. Long. He did only play 20 minutes while accumulating 3 fouls, so he has to be nursing an injury or something. Hopefully he'll break out today to show me he still can put up good numbers for me going forward.

Lastly, the Principia v Iowa Wesleyan game has added interest because I recently reacquired Micah Paulson. I really don't know why, maybe it's my love for SLIAC players or maybe the fact he went for about 40 fpts midweek. Maybe it's because he's taking on the 2nd worst defense in the league. I don't know. Anyway, I'm starting him, so hopefully he won't disappoint. Speaking of disappointing, Brock Butler put up what amounts to an egg for me midweek against MacMurray. A poor shooting night and 4 turnovers resulted in a 24-pt fantasy output. To remind you, I gave up Newbury's Daivon Edwards for Brock and Edwards scored 50+ fantasy points on Thursday. Mr. Butler has to show me I didn't make a mistake. I'm not expecting 50, but 35 will regain my faith in him.

You need to start an online class...... ;D ;D ;D
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Gregory Sager

Yeah, because he's obviously not busy enough as it is. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

hopefan

Well, kinda as per usual, things don't quite go as expected....

Eureka jumps off to a halftime lead as Shea Feehan finishes the first half with 30, but Greenville storms back in the 2nd half to win going away, 111-97.... Greenville now in 1st place by themselves with all the momentum....who is going to beat them?  Johari Dix finishes with 25 and 5 steals, Vari Bonney has his best 8 for 8 from the field, 17 points, 14 rebounds... that's the beauty of Greenville this year, a different name steps up each night... for Eureka, Feehan finishes with 47 points, 7 rebounds, only 2 turnovers, but the rest of the team turns it over 24 more times as they succumb to the system...

Mac wins over Blackburn 81-75....Mac had it in the bag, gave up the lead to 75-75 and I figured it's all over, but role player Hunter Fleisner gets the huge go ahead basket in traffic, BC chokes it with a horrible turnover, and Kendall Davis locks it up with free throws....not sure if by design or not, but Brent Long not scoring like he was, Kendall Davis finally showing All Conference skills, and Mac has won 2 out of 3.... still, facing 4 contenders in next 4 games make chances of conference tourney look bleak.  For Blackburn, a killer loss, Malcome Scott has 19 and 9, but the rest of the Beavs have a tough night...

Spalding has no problem with Fontbonne, and I can only think that without Luke DeLine, Fontbonne may be running out of gas...guards Cornelius Watts and Dom Ellis have nice nights for Spalding,  Noah Coddington  shows promise with 11 points 7 rebounds for the Griffs....  With Eureka's loss, Spalding is now all of a sudden tied with EC for 2nd place in conference, kind of out of nowhere... I give Coach Kevin Gray all the credit in the world for quietly bringing this group along....

Westmin breaks a close game open in the 2nd half and beats Webster badly... I sure didn't think this would happen, but it may have been some pretty savvy upperclassmen taking care of some less experienced underclassmen...Westmin puts 4 in double figures, but the numbers that jump off the page are Carter Wand's 10 assists, 5 steals, only 1 turnover....Webster, wow, 26 turnovers, and it wasn't against Greenville... not much positive can be said....

Prin beats Iowa Wesleyan 87-79 in the only game that went about as expected....Trevaughn Goodman has a huge night with 33 points and 7 boards, but look at Parker Davidson with 14 points and 19 rebounds!!!  And Micah Paulson also a fine night with 21 points and 6 boards!!!... Prin A real 3 man show....Brock Butler, Mitch Drey, Elijah Johnson each have big nights for IWU, but don't shoot nearly as well as Prin does, and prin dominates the boards....

5 pointers last night in hopefans All Conference system:

Shea Feehan Eureka
Johari Dix Greenville
Trevaugh Goodman Principia    ... Parker Davidson also deserving, but shares remaining points with Micah Paulson

hopefan

hopefan standings after Saturday games

for now, splitting the league into 7 contenders, 3 non contenders (Mac, Fontbonne, Iowa Wesleyan)

Contenders are expected to win at home against everyone, and not lose to non contenders at home or away

+1 for a road win vs a contender
-1 for a home loss to a contender
-1 for any loss to a non contender

Greenville   +1   Won at Webster

Eureka       +1    won at Westminster

Principia      0   all results as they should be

Blackburn  -2   loss to Iowa Wesleyan, loss to MacMurray     (note BC losses to Webster, Spalding, Principia were all on the road)

Webster      -2   lost at home to Greenville, lost at home to Westminster

Westminster  0   lost to MacMurray, won at Spalding, lost at home to Eureka, won at Webster

Spalding     -2       lost at home to Westminster, lost to MacMurray

So if everything goes as it should the rest of the way, we'd finish with Greenville/Eureka tied for first, Prin and Westminster tied for 3rd, and BC, Webster, Spalding out... Why is Spalding tied for 2nd in regular standings, but down here?   because they have a brutal schedule left, 5 games on the road vs contenders... lose all 5 as expected, and they finish 10-8 and in trouble... they need to win some of those road contests...

Greek Tragedy

Tough weekend in Fantasy Land for me.  After scoring 40 or so fantasy points midweek, Paulson is again the least productive of the Big 3 this weekend when I add him against Iowa Wesleyan. Sooner or later I'll learn to just keep him and take the low scores and be rewarded with the big ones for not dropping him!

Feehan had a field day against Greenville, but Bennington couldn't even muster 30 points when he's been averaging above that playing against teams not named Greenville.

Brock Butler shot just 9-25, but bounced back with a solid 44. Of course I didn't play him. However, it shows that he can still put up solid numbers even with Drey and Johnson playing.

Brent Long is on a short leash now. This is his 3rd poor performance in a row now, despite MacMurray scoring 81 points. Kendall Davis finally looks like he's turned things around with another good performance, this time 22 pts, 3 rebs and 4 dimes.

I dropped Bennington in favor of a non-SLIAC player.

I do have Williams and Ellis, I think, going tomorrow night in Spalding's makeup game with Greenville. I'm going to have to be a little more selective with my SLIAC players, sans Feehan, until they start producing on a regular basis. Limiting to just one game a week for them runs the risk I'll miss out on their big game, but I just can't afford to start them two times a week anymore.

Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

hopefan

Well Greek, I know how I'd play it, but then, I'm wrong about lots of things...

Anyway, HUGE game with Greenville hosting Spalding.... if Spalding came in and pulled off the upset, it would throw the conference into a 3 way tie, something hopefan always wishes for... Spalding on a four game win streak, 3 vs contenders, giving up only 64 ppg in those games.... but can they handle the system... wonder if they are short Rylan Rowe, had nice game vs Prin, then didn't play vs Fontbonne...injury??  they need him vs Greenville.... if this game was at Spalding with the long trip, I'd give Spalding a chance... but at Greenville, the way GC is playing, I look for a pretty easy win for the league leaders....

hopefan

GC putting on a clinic.... 45-21 after 13 minutes.... :o :o :o        Spalding getting 3 on 1, 15 foot jump shots... not quite how you beat it...

63-37 half...and GC lost its touch the last 5 minutes!!!     Nice crowd, lots of students... pep band really adds to it...  as I'm watching well into the 2nd half, it seems I'm seeing one GC player forcing far too many plays.... winning by 40 or not, don't go beyond your limitations....  final 126-97...Dan Saelli a career day 4 for 5 from 3's,16 points, Val Bonney also 16, really becoming a force around the basket...   Spalding 32 turnovers...

hopefan

HUGE game tonight in the SLIAC  as Webster travels to Prin....just about a must win for Webster if they are to remain in contention for a Conference Tourney spot.... totally time to get to business, if this young team understands that... some of these guys are either getting tired, losing interest, succumbing to pressure... whatever... as the level they're playing at now is not approaching early season levels... a loss tonight would put them at 6 losses, 2 losses behind 5 different teams.... HOWEVER, a win tonight would move them up the ladder to a tie with Prin in the hopefan standings, an indicator of projected finish... so just critical for both teams.... Big question here, will Prin be patient enough to penetrate the Webster zone, find easy hoops, or will they resort to 3 pointers, where an off night could beat them....

Greek Tragedy

I had a fire sale on SLIAC players his week. Maybe I can start watching some games without so much bias. Bennington was dropped after a sub-30 output against Greenville and an even worse game midweek. Paulson was sent to the waiver wire simply because I was getting a headache with his rollercoaster production. Overall, he was probably worth keeping and, ironically, probably the most consistent of the Big 3 at Principia. But I digress. Lastly, I finally cut ties with Brent Long, who hasn't produced a game over 30 for 4 or 5 games now. FC Grizzlies picked him up just to spite me, I think. I'm confident he'll go for 40 tomorrow.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

hopefan

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on January 23, 2018, 08:29:29 AM
I had a fire sale on SLIAC players his week. Maybe I can start watching some games without so much bias. Bennington was dropped after a sub-30 output against Greenville and an even worse game midweek. Paulson was sent to the waiver wire simply because I was getting a headache with his rollercoaster production. Overall, he was probably worth keeping and, ironically, probably the most consistent of the Big 3 at Principia. But I digress. Lastly, I finally cut ties with Brent Long, who hasn't produced a game over 30 for 4 or 5 games now. FC Grizzlies picked him up just to spite me, I think. I'm confident he'll go for 40 tomorrow.

Darn Greek, I'm sorry we've let you down :(... Hopefully you still have Shea Feehan on your teams, but I agree, as I look at my performance evaluations, inconsistency is the norm.... I'd think Parker Davidson would be a nice choice, but maybe doesn't quite reach your hoped for high levels... but he's a consistent double double...two other dark horses who have CONSISTENTLY done well over the last 4 games are Malcome Scott from Blackburn and Nigel Wilcox of Webster... not top ranked 5's in my system, but 3's and 4's....   but best shots at big hitters still seem to be Brock Butler and Trevaugh Goodman...unfortunately, offnights shooting by Butler, or turnovers by Goodman make them iffy...

Greek Tragedy

I get antsy when they don't regularly perform around the 30 point range. I drafted Feehan as my #1 pick in both draft leagues and also picked him in our posters' preseason All-American predictions. So, yeah, I still have and always will keep Feehan. I also have Butler. He's the only thing going for Iowa Wesleyan on the weekend (of course I didn't start him) after stinking it up on Wednesday.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

hopefan

WOTS  ... we'll see a cameo tomorrow night... hmmmmm.... ::) ::) ::)

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell