MBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by steelyglen, February 15, 2005, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seatfiller

Roanoke gets embarrassed at Emory and Henry 56-76.  It's a tale of Jekyll and Hyde with RC, no way they should've lost by this much.  In other news around the ODAC:

Hampden Sydney loses at Randolph 59-73
Guilford beats Ferrum 75-44
Shenandoah loses in OT at Marymount 81-88
In a surprising win EMU wins at VWU 68-66

y_jack_lok

Quote from: rmc1982 on January 16, 2019, 09:16:43 PM
Jackets win in OT 87-79!

I watched the last 10 minutes and the OT. R-MC was up 11 with 4:30 to go, but BC played great the rest of the way. At 68-65 Jackets, with 40 seconds left, and BC having made quite a few 3s that I saw, it was clear that the Jackets were defending hard to prevent another 3 pointer, likely happy to give up a two, keep the lead and force the Eagles to foul. But with time running down on the shot clock BC's #21 put up a well defended three that spun in like it had been caught in a whirlpool. Jackets ran a play but missed an open 14 footer. Jackets got a lead in OT and Terry Woods converted 6 of 6 FTs to secure the win.

hasanova

Guilford 75, Ferrum 44 at Ferrum

After an early 5-2 Panthers lead, the Quakers went on a 27-5 tear to lead 29-10.  It was never in doubt.  About all you need to know is FC was 14/61 on FGs and was 7/19 from the line while GC hit 12 threes and was 11/11 on FTs.   I realize I said about all you needed to know, but GC also controlled the boards 57-36.

tigerFanAlso2

Hasa

Congrats on the win. I'm interested to see how the ODAC plays out. Seems like the favorite to win changes every week. As of today it appears
GC, LC, E&H, RMC will fight it out but guessing RC & VWU can beat anybody on any given day, maybe EMU & W&L too.

hasanova

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on January 17, 2019, 11:16:49 AM
Hasa

Congrats on the win. I'm interested to see how the ODAC plays out. Seems like the favorite to win changes every week. As of today it appears
GC, LC, E&H, RMC will fight it out but guessing RC & VWU can beat anybody on any given day, maybe EMU & W&L too.
Thanks, tfa2.  I think all the teams you mention are definitely in the race.  I know HSC is having a down year this year, but I hope they finish strong ... the ODAC is always more interesting when the Tigers are a factor. 

GC has 8 regular season games left to play, all in the ODAC.  I'm not overlooking anyone, but especially BC, at UL, at EMU, HSC, at RoC, at BC, E&H and W&L.  Wait, that's everyone we have left on the schedule ...  the last month should be interesting!

tigerFanAlso2

Hasa

Tigers are down and I believe they will struggle to win another game this year. Getting beat (8 losses in a row) and getting beat badly most every time out.
No idea whats going on but whatever that may be, it is painful to watch.

None-the-less I will enjoy watching the ODAC battles.

Give'm hell

hasanova

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on January 17, 2019, 01:00:34 PM
Hasa

Tigers are down and I believe they will struggle to win another game this year. Getting beat (8 losses in a row) and getting beat badly most every time out.
No idea whats going on but whatever that may be, it is painful to watch.

None-the-less I will enjoy watching the ODAC battles.

Give'm hell
tfa2, I went to the Ferrum game last night to see FC's venue, to honor former GC great Sanborn and, frankly, because the Quakers are a fun team to watch.   I'm looking forward to seeing the Tigers when they visit Guilford on Feb. 2.  One of the first things I do when I return from a game is check all the ODAC scores ... it's definitely interesting to see how things are shaking out in a very competitive ODAC race.

y_jack_lok

Lynchburg wins at W&L last night 82-79. Looks like the Generals had a rough shooting night and didn't get as much from their bench as Lynchburg. The Hornets were up by 12 with 5 minutes to go and survived a late run.

hasanova

In my opinion, five games next week loom large in deciding the ODAC race:

January 23      GC at UL, will the Quakers win again or will the Hornets hold serve?
      RMC at VWU, Marlins are always tough at home
January 26   RMC at UL, someone will pick up at least a 2nd loss depending on 23rd results
      GC at EMU, depending on the 23rd result, the Quakers cannot afford another loss
      RoC at VWU, both teams need a win to stay in it

Right now, if GC can get even in the loss column, the Quakers hold a tiebreaker over both UL and RMC.  Guilford plays UL twice, but only has one game vs RMC.

y_jack_lok

^^^ Yes, it always gets dicey as you get deeper into conference play and the teams at the top play each other. One minor correction to the above -- the RMC/VWU game is in Ashland. The Jackets won at VWU on 1/3.

hasanova

Quote from: y_jack_lok on January 18, 2019, 02:14:01 PM
^^^ Yes, it always gets dicey as you get deeper into conference play and the teams at the top play each other. One minor correction to the above -- the RMC/VWU game is in Ashland. The Jackets won at VWU on 1/3.
Thanks for that correction ... I think being the home team is huge in this match-up.

y_jack_lok

An amazing stat (to me at least) in today's 92-47 R-MC win over Randolph -- seven Randolph players tied for their high scorer with 5 points each.

Seatfiller

Quote from: y_jack_lok on January 19, 2019, 07:59:18 PM
An amazing stat (to me at least) in today's 92-47 R-MC win over Randolph -- seven Randolph players tied for their high scorer with 5 points each.

Wow... In RC news, Roanoke beat Shenandoah 85-63.  The game was tight until about 8 minutes left in the first when RC went on a run to open it up.  In the second half it was all Roanoke as they got the lead as big as 29 at one point. 

In other news around the ODAC:

Lynchburg wins in OT at EMU 78-66

Emory and Henry wins at Hampden Sydney 105-94.  I watched some of this game and Hampden Sydney played a 1-3-1 in the second half that wasn't good at all.  Their defense kept giving E and H wide open 3s and E and H kept making them.  I didn't understand why they wouldn't get out of it.

hasanova

Final in Greensboro:  Guilford 78, Bridgewater 55

The Eagles kept it close for much of the first half, but could not hang with Guilford in the waning minutes of the half and all of the second.  The Quakers had as much as a 30 point lead in the second half.  Marcus Curry and Carson Long both scored 16.

Congratulations to Guilford Coach Tom Palombo on his 400th career men's victory and his 300th at Guilford.

The Quakers improve to 13-5, 7-2 and BC drops to 7-11,2-7.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Milestones, upsets, underdogs, under the radar, and giving back ... that's what's on tap for Sunday's Hoopsville.

While in the conference grind, there are always results people don't expect. Whether an upset or a team flying under the radar finally pops up on everyone's radar, there are games and teams worth paying attention to outside the usual suspects. But even the top teams in the country have a story to tell.

On Sunday's episode, we will learn what it's like to be on the top team in the country, how a team can still fly under the radar with big results in on a difficult conference, how another team has emerged that no one was expecting on top of another competitive conference, how one of the top conferences in the county ticks and how the races there may turn out, and the importance of giving back to the community especially in honor of one of the country's greatest leaders.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. Sunday's show will air live starting at 7:00 p.m. ET here: http://bit.ly/2HoPIZf (and simulcast on Facebook Live and Periscope).

Oh ... and the show is definitely going to see some "overtime" tonight.

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com or use any of the social media options to the right.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Hillary Scott, No. 17 Lynchburg men's coach
- Joe Crispin, Rowan men's coach
- Tim McDonald, Cabrini men's coach (NABC Coach's Corner)
- Chris Martin, CCIW Commissioner
- Abby Kelly, No. 1 Bowdoin senior guard
- Ryan Scott, D3hoops.com lead columnist (Top 25 Double-Take)

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.