FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

miac952

Quote from: USTBench on January 10, 2018, 10:49:30 AM
Interesting question in Deadspin's "Funbag."

If Alabama's offensive line was put on an average D3 team's roster, do they win the D3 title? Drew Magary says yes.

Out of the 242 or so D3 teams, I don't know who the 121st best team is, (Gustavus?) HansenRatings probably knows. But it was an interesting question.

Let's say, hypothetically, it is the Gusties. They'd certainly be able to slow down the game and control the clock, and probably make the quarterfinals pretty easily. But then they'd run into some teams that could shut down their skill positions for 4+ seconds and would be fast enough to at least get SOME penetration or at least slow the running game. If I had a billion dollars I would make a Mt. Union versus Gustavus with Alabama's offensive line game happen.

This is a fun one. I think we might underestimate just how dominant they would be. Not just size, but athletic ability of a top 5 O-Line at the D1 level is so high. These are guys that can run a 40 < 4.8, and dunk basketballs. Heck, you might make one or two eligible from time to time, because they would be better than what you have in the backfield or at TE. The obvious hole in all of this though is the defense. We have a general idea of what a Mount Union would do to a Gustavus defense. They would score on 70-80% of their possession's. I don't know if an offensive line alone can match that output from the opposing unit. I see a 48-35 or 40 to 27 type win

MiacMan

Quote from: miac952 on January 10, 2018, 03:55:29 PM

If Alabama's offensive line was put on an average D3 team's roster, do they win the D3 title? Drew Magary says yes.

Out of the 242 or so D3 teams, I don't know who the 121st best team is, (Gustavus?) HansenRatings probably knows. But it was an interesting question.

Let's say, hypothetically, it is the Gusties. They'd certainly be able to slow down the game and control the clock, and probably make the quarterfinals pretty easily. But then they'd run into some teams that could shut down their skill positions for 4+ seconds and would be fast enough to at least get SOME penetration or at least slow the running game. If I had a billion dollars I would make a Mt. Union versus Gustavus with Alabama's offensive line game happen.

This is a fun one. I think we might underestimate just how dominant they would be. Not just size, but athletic ability of a top 5 O-Line at the D1 level is so high. These are guys that can run a 40 < 4.8, and dunk basketballs. Heck, you might make one or two eligible from time to time, because they would be better than what you have in the backfield or at TE. The obvious hole in all of this though is the defense. We have a general idea of what a Mount Union would do to a Gustavus defense. They would score on 70-80% of their possession's. I don't know if an offensive line alone can match that output from the opposing unit. I see a 48-35 or 40 to 27 type win

Not a chance for GustBama. It's not like Mount has slugs for DL. They have studs. The only diff is they as individuals are either a bit undersized or a step slow. This is a huge difference when trying to tackle a D1 RB or Defend a D1 QB. Mount is extremely well coached and would scheme ways to get some stops. Mount would still get some turnovers and more than likely convert them to points. Bottomline: Gusties would need more than just the OL. Add any of these other three groups (O-Skilled, DL, LB&DB) and GustBama wins. 

MiacMan

Quote from: MiacMan on January 10, 2018, 05:06:37 PM

Not a chance for GustBama. It's not like Mount has slugs for DL. They have studs. The only diff is they as individuals are either a bit undersized or a step slow. This is a huge difference when trying to tackle a D1 RB or Defend a D1 QB. Mount is extremely well coached and would scheme ways to get some stops. Mount would still get some turnovers and more than likely convert them to points. Bottomline: Gusties would need more than just the OL. Add any of these other three groups (O-Skilled, DL, LB&DB) and GustBama wins.

Ponder this one? If you gave Mount Union Alabama's OL & DL could they beat the Gophers?

OzJohnnie

How does professional status work in the NCAA now?  Ben Griffiths has retired from AFL due to repeated concussions ending his footy career and has picked up a scholarship to punt at USC.  He was a big kicking forward for Richmond and should put on quite a display for the Trojans.  But seeing as he's 26 and has been a professional athlete for 8 years, how is he still eligible for a playing scholarship? I thought you lost eligibility when you became a pro. I guess not.

26 is pretty old to be entering the gridiron game. I imagine he hopes to do theee years, or even two, get drafted and then have four or five years of NFL money. At least that's his dream setup.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-forward-ben-griffiths-has-quit-the-afl-to-pursue-an-american-football-punting-career/news-story/d4b58c80817609d1ba78deca2cceb85c
[  

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: OzJohnnie on January 11, 2018, 06:20:18 PM
How does professional status work in the NCAA now?  Ben Griffiths has retired from AFL due to repeated concussions ending his footy career and has picked up a scholarship to punt at USC.  He was a big kicking forward for Richmond and should put on quite a display for the Trojans.  But seeing as he's 26 and has been a professional athlete for 8 years, how is he still eligible for a playing scholarship? I thought you lost eligibility when you became a pro. I guess not.

26 is pretty old to be entering the gridiron game. I imagine he hopes to do theee years, or even two, get drafted and then have four or five years of NFL money. At least that's his dream setup.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-forward-ben-griffiths-has-quit-the-afl-to-pursue-an-american-football-punting-career/news-story/d4b58c80817609d1ba78deca2cceb85c

I think it is only professional status in the same sport, not any sport.  Apparently, to the NCAA, American and Australian football are completely different sports.

It used to be any sport - I recall players in other sports being banned from NCAA competition due to single-game baseball play, but I don't think that is the case anymore.  Don't recall the details, but I have a vague memory of a pro skier who was barred from some totally unrelated sport, and sued the NCAA.

OldAuggie

Quote from: MiacMan on January 11, 2018, 10:21:06 AM
Quote from: MiacMan on January 10, 2018, 05:06:37 PM

Ponder this one? If you gave Mount Union Alabama's OL & DL could they beat the Gophers?
This is a good question of course but in my opinion, the Gophers would win.
MIAC champions 1928, 1997

OzJohnnie

Re: Gophers v MUCabama

It comes down to defensive backfields, I reckon.  Would MUC linebackers be able to stop Gopher short passes and how would the dbacks do against the occasional long bomb?  The Gophers would not even need to try running, really, and could play around the Bama line all day.

Same on other side of the ball. If the Gopher dbacks could shut down the MUC passing game then the Gopher linebackers could blitz every play and overwhelm the Bama linemen.  The box could be jammed up every play leaving the MUCabama Purple Tide with few options.
[  

OzJohnnie

Purple Tide or Crimson Raiders?  I think like the Crimson Raiders. It sounds like something out a swashbuckling version of Red Dawn (the original).
[  

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: OzJohnnie on January 11, 2018, 08:34:13 PM

It comes down to defensive backfields, I reckon.  Would MUC linebackers be able to stop Gopher short passes and how would the dbacks do against the occasional long bomb?  The Gophers would not even need to try running, really, and could play around the Bama line all day.

Same on other side of the ball. If the Gopher dbacks could shut down the MUC passing game then the Gopher linebackers could blitz every play and overwhelm the Bama linemen.  The box could be jammed up every play leaving the MUCabama Purple Tide with few options.

Having watched both UMU and UMinn games, I'm not 100% convinced that even without Bama additions, UMU just might not win! :o ;D

MiacMan

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on January 11, 2018, 11:04:14 PM

Having watched both UMU and UMinn games, I'm not 100% convinced that even without Bama additions, UMU just might not win! :o ;D

How about this one, Ditka vs. the Johnnies? I'd have to go with Ditka on this one.  :o

USTBench

Quote from: MiacMan on January 12, 2018, 09:22:33 AM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on January 11, 2018, 11:04:14 PM

How about this one, Ditka vs. the Johnnies? I'd have to go with Ditka on this one.  :o

Mini Ditka or regular-sized Ditka?
Augsburg University: 2021 MIAC Spring Football Champions

art76

Saw this on Facebook yesterday:

A friend of mine has two tickets for the 2018 Super Bowl, both box seats. He paid $2,500 each but he didn't realize last year when he bought them, it was going to be on the same day as his wedding. If you are interested, he is looking for someone to take his place...It's at St Christopher's Church, in Baldwin Wisconsin, at 3pm. Her name is Ashley, she's 5'4", about 115 lbs, good cook too.....She'll be the one in the white dress.
You don't have a soul. You are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis

MUC57

art76

That has to be a classic. ^^^^^^^ You really cracked me up! A big +k to you sir!
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

sjusection105

Are the Gophers Rowing the Boat in this hypothetical scenario ?
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

MadRedFan

From the "hot stove league" department, for all you Johnnie faithful, the Milwaukee paper yesterday had a note that one Joe Lang, TE and LB from New Berlin Eisenhower HS, will attend SJU this fall.  Lang was named honorable mention all-area by the Journal-Sentinel.  NB Eisenhower had a very good team this year and was state runner-up in Class 3 finishing with a 13-1 record.

Now back to our regular off-season programming . . . .