MBB: Great Northeast Athletic Conference

Started by Hoops Fan, December 17, 2004, 12:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saint-Paul

So far, have seen Albertus, Lasell, Regis, JWU, and Mt Ida, play against the Saints, and i would have to say that Albertus has the best combination of skill and athleticism.  JUW is also long and athletic but their outside shooting is lacking and their overall skill is not a strong as past years.  Regis is athletic but their skill level is just average.  Lasell and Mt Ida are both very nice teams but not overly athletic. Saints have also played against Wesleyan and MIT, both tournament quality teams. Would like to see Albertus play against MIT in the tournament, that would be a very good game.  Looking forward to see how the rest of the GNAC season goes.

D3HoopJunkie

I agree with your assessment completely Saint. Albertus is really starting to hit their stride now and have come together quite nicely as a team. Our main weakness this season has been perimeter shooting, specifically the 3 and while getting Green Younger back has helped that immensely, they are going to have to find some consistency from downtown if they want to put a run together come tournament time. Not to mention their free throw shooting which was much better against Emmanuel with the exception of Amir Maddredd. I dont want to make excuses for him because he has a decent looking routine and shot but I think we can officially throw him into the group of "big guys" who just dont have a feel for shooting free throws.

One part of this team that might be getting overlooked is our overall team defense. In my opinion this is the best defensive team we have ever had. Tyreek Perkins is an absolute pest when it comes to on ball defense and a lot of time this season Oliver has matched him up on the opposing teams best guard. That is saying a lot about his effort and persistence considering he is a true freshman. Pittman has always been a good defender and continues to hustle night in and night out and Jahmerikah Green Younger defense has improved drastically like the rest of his game from his freshman to now sophomore season.

Tomorrows night contest against Middlebury will be a true test for the Falcons as the Panthers have always proved themselves to be a tremendous basketball team. I think both teams will look at this matchup as an NCAA tournament game because both are NCAA tourney caliber squads and the way they matchup with each other, it almost feels like an opening weekend type of game. This would be a great regional road win for the Falcons if they can pull off the upset.

Saint-Paul

Saints use a simple 2 -3 zone to pull off the big upset over JWU, 73 - 66, to capture their second win of the season.  I did think the Saints would win a second game this year, just didn't think it would be this one.  Saints stayed in a tight zone all game and JWU missed 40 shots from the field giving the Saints numerous extra possessions to score.  JWU scored mostly in transition or off Saints turn overs, but when the Saints were able to hustle down court and set up their zone defense JWU looked frustrated and disorganized.  JWU cold night even extended to the foul line where they had numerous opportunities to even the game. 

falcons2010

Saint very good win by Emmanuel. A win like that could give the team confidence and propelled them to a few conference wins. I won't be surprised if they finished the season as a 6th seed.

Albertus played wonderfully against Midd. They lost in overtime to the nationally rsnked team; JQ showed why he can be an all-american leading the falcons down the stretch. Twice they were down by 10 in the second half and came back to tie the game in the final minute. Albertus had the lead in OT with just under 3 to play but then walters fouled out and the offense went missing. They stood around and kind of hoped for someone to make a play. The little things cost them the game, inconsistent 3 ball, poor free throw shooting, and too many second chance opportunities for Midd. But, overall, a great effort on the road against a sweet 16 opponent. A lost like this can do wonders for a tem, who in my opinion is still learning to find itself and find their offensive rhythm. English and Green-younger have only played a handful of games. The defense was outstanding! Great job guys!

By the way, how close was that shot at the end of the game that went in. Albertus was that close to a bryon reaves or missy lumus moment.

Saint-Paul

Saints lose their 14 th game of the year to Suffolk, 73 - 69, in a fairly even contest.  For the first time in a while the Saints were not at a disadvantage in terms of size, speed, or athleticism. The game was back and forth with both teams making short runs and a number of lead changes.  Suffolk showed more poise and execution in the last for minutes to break open a close game and grab a solid GNAC win. Not sure why the Saints changed up their game plan.  They just upset JWU by playing a tight 2 -3 zone and making them take long, outside shots.  Saints opened the game against the Rams in a straight man to man giving up several wide open driving attempts down the middle of the lane.  Rams got so many easy lay ups that I stopped counting when it reached double figures. There were no helping defenders anywhere in sight. The only outside shots the Rams had to take was when the shot clock was running down. Oh well, on to the next game.

Falcons 25

Albertus vs Lasell on Saturday @ 3pm @ THE NEST!

Albertus beat Mt. Ida fairly easy Thursday. (I`m sure Mitch Oliver is going over, at practice today, how to handle a FULL COURT
PRESS however!!!) A.M.C. outrebounded the Mustangs by a lot & played good defense!
If they can repeat this performance, they will have a solid 2-game lead in conference play over Lasell. That said, Lasell is the second
best team in the GNAC & a DEFINITE THREAT!
AMC has to reduce their turnovers & get their assists much higher. ( TRUST EACH OTHER, GUYS...YOU`LL GET YOUR SHOTS!)

D3HoopJunkie

Albertus took care of business yesterday in a sloppy win over Lasell. Great effort against Middlebury last Tuesday, sloppy win on Thursday over Mount Ida and as mentioned another sloppy victory yesterday. That was a very long travel week for the Falcons and after Tuesdays battle in Middlebury you could just tell that this team is a little run down at the moment. Let me be clear, I am not making excusing for this team as every team has to go through travel and 3 game weeks this time of year. Im simply pointing out that you could visibly see the fatigue in the way they have played these last 2 games.

Not to mention, I found out at yesterdays game that Albertus did not stay over last Tuesday following the Middlebury game. This school and athletic department has got to be kidding all of us with at this point? Right? They are so cheap and unappreciative it has gotten to a point where it makes me sick and sad as a fan. Coach Oliver and these kids give everything they have night in night out and with a 4 and a half hour trip up to Vermont (probably closer to 5 on a bus) how does the administration not fund for them to stay overnight? Its an absolute joke. I would say 90% of D3 schools would have stayed over in that situation. They got back at 3:30AM Wednesday morning and most of the team had 8 am classes a few hours later. I have heard that the new President at Albertus is a great person and is relatively young, supportive and enthusiastic in all things Albertus. Maybe he can step in and do what our AD is supposed to do because I have talked to multiple people at games who are alumni and general fans of athletics and they all seem to agree that more should be done for the student athletes. He was brought in because of his strong background in financials and donations. While Albertus athletics has seen some nice upgrades and improvements to facilities in his time, something as simple as budgeting for his sports teams to stay over 1 NIGHT when they have a travel trip longer then the norm to say Boston and back is just not in his realm of thinking I guess. Before Oliver no one ever knew that Albertus even had athletics. And I will single out the mens basketball team because there success has brought success to every program at the school. I'm not speaking just for mens basketball, i'm speaking for all sports and saying that these types of things should not be happening anymore. This school needs to step it up and support their student athletes.

That's my rant for the season

Hopefully the Falcons can rest up and get back on track Tuesday at Anna Maria. 

falcons2010

Junkie, I couldn't have said it better myself. Hopefully the new president can take a look at some of the issues that have plagued the athletics program for almost a decade.

Great week for Albertus. Although they didn't play their best against Mt.Ida and Lasell. They got wins ocer the team that scores the most (ida) and the second best team (lasell in my opinion). But, they also showed that they can compete at against good teams. On the road down by 10 in the second half and they force ot. That's a good lost. I would like to see them clean up the free throws and protect the ball a little better. I would expect a double digit win on Tuesday.

Smitty Oom

Quote from: D3HoopJunkie on January 21, 2018, 02:01:44 PM
Albertus took care of business yesterday in a sloppy win over Lasell. Great effort against Middlebury last Tuesday, sloppy win on Thursday over Mount Ida and as mentioned another sloppy victory yesterday. That was a very long travel week for the Falcons and after Tuesdays battle in Middlebury you could just tell that this team is a little run down at the moment. Let me be clear, I am not making excusing for this team as every team has to go through travel and 3 game weeks this time of year. Im simply pointing out that you could visibly see the fatigue in the way they have played these last 2 games.

Not to mention, I found out at yesterdays game that Albertus did not stay over last Tuesday following the Middlebury game. This school and athletic department has got to be kidding all of us with at this point? Right? They are so cheap and unappreciative it has gotten to a point where it makes me sick and sad as a fan. Coach Oliver and these kids give everything they have night in night out and with a 4 and a half hour trip up to Vermont (probably closer to 5 on a bus) how does the administration not fund for them to stay overnight? Its an absolute joke. I would say 90% of D3 schools would have stayed over in that situation. They got back at 3:30AM Wednesday morning and most of the team had 8 am classes a few hours later. I have heard that the new President at Albertus is a great person and is relatively young, supportive and enthusiastic in all things Albertus. Maybe he can step in and do what our AD is supposed to do because I have talked to multiple people at games who are alumni and general fans of athletics and they all seem to agree that more should be done for the student athletes. He was brought in because of his strong background in financials and donations. While Albertus athletics has seen some nice upgrades and improvements to facilities in his time, something as simple as budgeting for his sports teams to stay over 1 NIGHT when they have a travel trip longer then the norm to say Boston and back is just not in his realm of thinking I guess. Before Oliver no one ever knew that Albertus even had athletics. And I will single out the mens basketball team because there success has brought success to every program at the school. I'm not speaking just for mens basketball, i'm speaking for all sports and saying that these types of things should not be happening anymore. This school needs to step it up and support their student athletes.

That's my rant for the season

Hopefully the Falcons can rest up and get back on track Tuesday at Anna Maria.

I related a lot while reading this. I played for Concordia Moorhead, which is in the MIAC. Most of the teams are located in the St. Paul-Minneapolis area (5 out of 11 are directly in the "Big City") while the majority of the others are a one to two hour bus ride from the metro. Concordia was a 4 hour bus ride from the metro schools and pushing 6 hours when you traveled all the way down to Winona, MN when we played against St. Mary's. Very unique though, as all the other teams would dread coming up to Moorhead, as it was the only conference game they had that was longer than 2 hours away, and most much closer. I had many opponents telling me during dead balls/pregame/postgame about how hard it is to get ready to play after the travel.

Anyways, we would always travel back to Moorhead after games, even if we played in Minneapolis on Monday and were about to comeback down for a game on Wednesday. This happened quite a bit in my career, as the MIAC has a very condensed conference season with 20 league games played basically in two months. The road trips definitely wear on a team and makes you susceptible to being upset (so Kudos to the Falcons for pulling out three wins this week).

Two instances of note:
1. We played at St. Olaf on a Monday and came back down to Carleton on a Wednesday. In-between games we drove back and practiced Tuesday and left Wednesday morning again. Both drives roughly 5 hours, as the two schools are literally 2 miles apart in Northfield, MN.
2. This years team played Gustavus (Just under 5 hours away) on a Saturday and then on Monday played in St. Marys (almost 6 hours away). The team drove back after the Saturday game, even though the two schools are not too far from each other.

Anyways, as a player I felt like it made a ton of sense to stay the night in a hotel. But I guess the money just doesn't add up for it. I always wondered what other teams would do and never really asked around. Glad to know my school wasn't the only school that opted for the quick turnaround bus drives!

falcons2010

Smitty, thanks for the insight. Athletic programs need to be funded at higher levels for most schools out there. Student athletes are shuttled from campus to campus because it's less experienced than providing lodging and meals. Overall, conference games are scheduled with travel in mind. Albertus and St. Joe's are about 5 hours apart. The conference has done a great job of keeping these games on a Saturday afternoon to avoid students getting home after 1 am and then having morning classes. The non conference is where it gets tricky. Each athletic department needs to fund these trips within reason prior to the of the season. The middlebury game happened to be played the night before the first day of classes. The need for teams in the GNAC to schedule games against highly thoughof New England programs forces their hand to travel more than other clubs. Hopefully Midd, Swath, have agreed to play a home and home similar to Babson and NJ city university.

deiscanton

Today's Emmanuel men's game vs Suffolk at Andy Yosinoff Court will now tip at 6:30 PM Eastern, and will be the first game of a doubleheader with the women's game vs Rivier tipping off afterward.  In the second game, Emmanuel coach Andy Yosinoff of the women's team is 2 wins away from 800 career victories.

Saint-Paul

and at the same time the women's coach approaches a milestone, the Emmanuel men's coach also approaches a milestone, 220 career losses.  With some adept game planning and more full court pressing he should easily reach that mark this year.

Saint-Paul

Well, it looks like the Suffolk Rams really have the Saints number.  Suffolk beats the Saints in the second of back to back games, 59 - 45.  Saints had a week off since the first loss against the Rams to reorganize and straighten things out, but it looks like that didn't happen.  Saints started the game as flat as possible.  Saints scored the first two points of the game and went the next eleven minutes without a field goal.  The half time sore was all Suffolk, 35 -13.  The second half score was just mailed in for stats. Against ever other team this year the Saints have played a 2 -3 zone, but for some reason the game plans changes against Suffolk and the Saints try out their man to man defense, without much success.  What was really disheartening about tonight's loss were the 50 / 50 balls. The Rams got every one.  You would think that after just losing to Suffolk last week the Saints would come out with their best effort.  Far from it, the Rams got every lose rebound, and every lose floor board. Maybe the Saints were just saving their energy for the Albertus game on Saturday. If the Saints stand around watching their opponent pick up loose balls again on Saturday that game will also be over by half time.

Falcons 25

AMC vs Emmanuel- Never a game!

Tyreek Perkins- 22 pts. & just a stellar game!
J.Walters- 31 pts. & 14 rebounds (Ho-Hum!)- enjoy him, because it will be awhile before we see another player like him!
Hanif Balal- strong overall game; especially good defense!

Game notes: ok, where was A`Jen English? (MIA last two games!)
                    J. Green-Younger was out due to concussion protocol (he`ll be back Thursday vs Suffolk in Boston)
NEXT GAME: Thursday against a Suffolk team that is getting better each week!!! Followed next Saturday @ THE NEST
                    vs. Norwich- also a team on the rise!

Saint-Paul

Final score Albertus over Emmanuel, 100 - 78.  Albertus score 100 points and made it look effortless, they were hardly breathing heavy.  Albertus scored every way possible, long range 3's, dribble drives, offensive rebounds, transition lay ups. I counted the first ten Saint possessions of the game. They did not run a play once.  Whoever received the first pass over half court shot the ball.  There was no flow to their game at all.  Will never understand why, when the Saints miss a shot, they don't sprint down court and set up their defense. After ever missed shot you see two or three players trying to trap or pressure the rebounder or the out let pass. Do they really think they are going to steal the ball away from the rebounder?  All they are doing is setting up a 3 on 2 transition for the other team.  If you are a 20 point underdog going into the game shouldn't your focus be on defense?   The Saints wild, chaotic, style of play does effect some of the GNAC teams but it didn't bother Albertus in this game. Albertus was very business like, running their sets, moving the ball, and taking good shots.  Maybe, just maybe, the Saints can learn from this game how to put a decent game plan together .