MBB: State University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by bamm, March 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

Yep, and if you're interested as to who the other Division III recipients were, they were on the front page about four weeks ago:

http://www.d3hoops.com/news.php?date=2005-05-03" target=_top>http://www.d3hoops.com/news.php?date=2005-05-03

Potsdam State didn't have a release out at the time so we didn't have much on Turner.

JOHN HAMMOND

Has anyone seen any sunyac players play in any summer leagues this summer?

Well i have seen some Potsdam guys, Cortland,suny it and Plattsburgh.

Maxcy Maniac

I saw some potsdam guys at the Potsdam Camp, they looked sharp training high schoolers.

Enrique Suarez

either of the last two posters have any specifics to offer on which guys for what teams and furthermore how they'll impact their teams...if at all

Spring of Poland

New Post-errrr in the house--Where's all the chatter? It's October. The leaves are changing colors and falling. There's a slight chill in the air. And the Bills, Jets, and Giants are all off to uninspired starts---But more important things to discuss. Who's going to win this conference this year, with Da Bears all graduating? Is it Brockport with Belucci and newly added Jon Rother and friends? Is it Cortland with everyone except O'Garrow back? Potsdam 3-peat? Plattsburgh with their JUCO-squad? Oswego w/ Nick the quick and Ahmad, but minus Ponza the southpaw? Geneseo minus Zera the All-american? Lets hear some posts.

bports

Brockport will definitely be one of the teams to beat. With Belluci, Harris , Williams, Rother, and another D1 transfer in Jerry Cheeves they will be tough. They also have 4 players coming off the bench that got big minutes like Amparo, podgorski, etc..  Im not sure who is really the team to beat but Bport will be near the top guaranteed!!!!!!!

jdex

Took note of Rother settling at Bport. Figured that might be his resting place after KO'd at Cortland after team-leading stats from 03-04. Should be interesting early season (11/29) test sending CState to Bport. It'll be Port's lone home game of first semester.

Cortland debuting 11/18-19 in Franklin & Marshall tourney with Trinity (Ct) and Gwynedd-Mercy. Dragons open at home 11/22 vs. Elmira.

O'Garrow substantial loss. CStaters will need to fortify the point. Appear to have bolstered frontline through experienced 6-6 pickup who's been through some hoop wars (none of SUNYAC nature)

bports

Index i see that the port is in catholic's early season tourney, any idea who else is in it? I did notice that bport was on the road nonstop in the 1st semester.

bports

I just saw that eastern and drew are also in the catholic tourney. Drew looks absolutely terrible and they play catholic. Port draws eastern in the 1st game. I see that Bport is making a stop at York on the way down to DC to play against a VERY GOOD york squad. I believe they made it to the elite 8 or final 4 last year. Gotta hand it to whitmore year in and year out the y play the heavyweights, and always seem to have twice as many road games than home games.

Pat Coleman

You saved yourself from me giving you a hard time about not looking at our schedule pages. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

formerbant10

Anyone have any info on Cortland....I know they open up against Trinity (CT) down at F&M.

John McGraw

In regards to the pre-season favorites in the conference, I think the YAC could be largely up for grabs with lots of talent having graduated. Brockport in my view is the preseason favorite having perhaps two of the best players in the conference, Ben Belluci and Jon Rother. Not sure if Rother will have one or two yrs of eligibility. I don't know if he played anywhere last season but if he did, I guess he'd just have one year. Williams gives the Golden Eagles another option up front and he's a tough kid and good rebounder. The loses of Andrews and Boswell will hurt, but I think the returning talent is at least enough to deem this team perhaps one of the tops in the conference.

Cortland and Oswego then follow after that. Both teams both back a majority of talent from last year. Also the Red Dragons and Lakers will miss key parts of last year's playoff teams. Justin O'Garrow for Cortland and Dave Ponza for Oswego. Cortland has talent faces returning in Dave Jutton, Brian Kirchoff and Frank Ranieri while Oswego counters with Nick Perioli, Ahmad Mims and Matt Burridge. Oswego had some postseason success last year it can build on having won an ECAC Upstate NY title.

After that I think its pretty up in the air. Plattsburgh's always tough with the players they bring in. Coach Curle needs a consistent effort night in and night out from Simmons and Gibbs-Smith and will have to bring in some more good JUCO transfers to replace Curtis Smith, Calvin Fraser and Johnnie Carter. Potsdam I would lump into the middle to lower tier just based on the fact they graduated five players who started and were the heart of the team. Coach Dobbs does a super job but I think this year may be one where Potsdam's getting things set for a run in the future. Lynn and Bisesi will form a decent backcourt combo. Oneonta had a good run late in the season last year and brings a substantial amount of talent back. Coach Medici in my view was the Coach of the Year in the conference last year so I think O-State will only get better. Possibly lump New Paltz in with this group because they graduated no one and bring the entire squad back (on paper at least).

And who knows what new faces will emerge and what surprises we'll have before the tip-off in about a month.

Spring of Poland

Da Posterrrrr is back----Absolutely Coach Medici was the Coach of the year in the conference last year. Not only did he bring in fresh talent to a program that needed it, he was able to mold what was the worst team in the SUNYAC's in '03-'04 into a very respectable 8-8 conference record, and a tough quarterfinal loss at Cortland.

That being said, I don't think Oneonta has enough talent to be mentioned with the upper-tier teams--Brockport has to be the favorite; Rother, Belucci and 2 DI transfers will make this team the team to beat on paper. Can they co-exist with only one basketball though???

Don't count C-State out---4 starters back, 9 of their top 10 returning. That says a lot in a conference that turns over a lot year after year. Look what Potsdam did last year with their squad nearly in tact for a whole 'nother year.

Dark horses? NP isn't a bad choice...they didn't graduate anyone either..then again, is that a good thing or bad thing?---My pick might have to be Potsdam. Very tough to pick against Sherry Dobbs and P-Dam. he'll find a way to get things done.

Next question for the forum: What teams will change dramatically from last season? Either for the better, or worse?
Brockport going from 5th in the tourney, to Pre-season #1 is a good start. who else? good or bad?

haterinthehouse

I believe SUNY-IT will make a big jump this season-I am not saying that they will contend for the sunyac title or finish 1,2, or 3 but they will be much improved.  They have a few juco transfers from CCC, Herkimer, and Mohawk Valley that were all region players that will instantly make them better.  And with Murphy you never know what can happen

John McGraw

That'll be a pretty big order for SUNYIT seeing that they lose Nick Grimmer and Rich Phillips.