WBB: Presidents' Athletic Conference

Started by Bob.Gregg, March 03, 2010, 03:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

What a season of Division III basketball and it isn't quite over with yet! The men might have crowned their championship, but the women have one more game to go.

On this episode of Hoopsville, Dave McHugh looks back at the two championship weekends with help from Ryan Scott, Gordon Mann, and Adam Turer. We look at the championship for St. Thomas and the near perfect miss by Benedictine. We also take a look at the two semifinal games in women's basketball and the upcoming championship between St. Thomas and Tufts to be played in Indianapolis.

Dave also talks to Page Moir, head coach for Roanoke, who suddenly announced on Tuesday he is stepping down from the position and looking for something new to challenge him.

You can watch the show in its entirety or listen to the podcast above.

Guests include (in order of appearance):
- Page Moir, Roanoke men's coach
- Keith Bunkenburg, No. 2 Benedictine men's coach
- Steve Fritz, St. Thomas athletics director and former men's coach
- John Tauer, No 1. St. Thomas men's coach
- Ryan Scott, D3hoops.com Mid-Atlantic reporter
- Gordon Mann and Adam Turer, women's semifinals report
- Jeff Hans, No. 1 Thomas More women's coach
- Carla Berube, No. 7 Tufts women's coach

You can also tune into the podcast(s) after the show has aired:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Go Saints

Congrats to the Thomas More Saints.   Well done ladies!!!!!   What an accomplishment.  You should be proud of the hard work and effort it took to achieve your goals.  We fans are certainly proud of you!!!!!   

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Believe it not, the 2016-17 basketball season is just days away. But the season can't start without Hoopsville hitting the air!

Tune in tonight starting at 7pm as Dave talks to the two preseason numbers one teams, finds out how the offseason went for the two defending national championships, and touches bases with the men's and women's basketball committee chairs.

Guests include:
- Kevin Vande Streek, men's basketball committee chair and head coach for Calvin
- Bobbi Morgan, women's basketball committee chair and head coach for Haverford
- John Tauer, head coach for No. 10 St. Thomas men
- Dave Hixon, head coach for No. 1 Amherst men
- Jeff Hans, head coach for No. 4 Thomas More women
- Carla Berube, head coach for No. 1 Tufts women

You can watch the show here: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2016-17/nov13

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

lmitzel

Crazy story with a lot of details still coming out, but Thomas More is getting hit with sanctions for a "failure to monitor" violation. Early reports I've read say it stems from Sydney Moss living with an assistant coach during her rehab. Early @D3Hoops reports have the sanctions including a two year probation and vacating wins.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Here is the story: http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2016/11/thomas-more-womens-basketball-ncaa-sanctions

We will update more after the Thomas More presser today.

Bob.Gregg

Been wrong before.  Will be wrong again.

SaintsFAN

Quote from: Bob.Gregg on November 16, 2016, 10:03:03 AM
Story references Moss' rent-free living.
School charged with MAJOR VIOLATIONS.
Ouch.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/college/othercolleges/2016/11/15/ncaa-announces-sanctions-against-thomas-more/93907266/

The ouch here is for the kids.  Because this was preventable, now the Saints get to hear quotes like above from folks who have been waiting to take shots at them.

I'm not saying this is you, Bob.  But I do think you know who I am talking about. 

Privately, I'll share some information with you that will have you feeling sorry for the kids, who were part of a team that won a Title on the court but you know... had to vacate that. 

But just know the NCAA is full of hypocrisy on this one too.  Remember Reggie Bush?  Yep, USC had to vacate their entire 2005 schedule AND they also had to vacate only two wins from their 2004 National Title season, but NOT the actual National Title.  The BCS refused to recognize them as champs, not the NCAA.

I'm pretty sure Reggie Bush received a few more benefits than Sydney Moss did. 
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: SaintsFAN on November 16, 2016, 12:12:44 PM
Ouch.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/college/othercolleges/2016/11/15/ncaa-announces-sanctions-against-thomas-more/93907266/

The ouch here is for the kids.  Because this was preventable, now the Saints get to hear quotes like above from folks who have been waiting to take shots at them.

I'm not saying this is you, Bob.  But I do think you know who I am talking about. 

Privately, I'll share some information with you that will have you feeling sorry for the kids, who were part of a team that won a Title on the court but you know... had to vacate that. 

But just know the NCAA is full of hypocrisy on this one too.  Remember Reggie Bush?  Yep, USC had to vacate their entire 2005 schedule AND they also had to vacate only two wins from their 2004 National Title season, but NOT the actual National Title.  The BCS refused to recognize them as champs, not the NCAA.

You shouldn't compare to Division I football... because the NCAA actually does NOT hand out a trophy in that sport. You will not see a walnut and bronze (gold) trophy in FBS football, so I do not know what championship you think the NCAA does or does not recognize. They don't even have one to recognize.

The NCAA certifies bowl games, makes sure the teams abide by all the rules, but do not get a single penny from FBS football. Not a cent. So sure, they don't hand out a trophy, but they are also the scapegoat for a lot of things they shouldn't even be in control of in the first place. Personally, the NCAA should wash their hands of FBS and let them run their own show (which they basically are moving towards).

Bob.Gregg

Believe me, SaintsFan, I get the pain for the kids.
And I know exactly the kind of comments/feelings you're talking about.

But, as you said in the football thread, there is no excuse for an institution so committed to athletics, one rumored to be considering moving to DII, to NOT know this couldn't happen, and not know that once somebody up the chain found out didn't immediately self-report to the League and the AA.
Been wrong before.  Will be wrong again.

SaintsFAN

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on November 16, 2016, 02:06:55 PM
Quote from: SaintsFAN on November 16, 2016, 12:12:44 PM
Ouch.

You shouldn't compare to Division I football... because the NCAA actually does NOT hand out a trophy in that sport. You will not see a walnut and bronze (gold) trophy in FBS football, so I do not know what championship you think the NCAA does or does not recognize. They don't even have one to recognize.

The NCAA certifies bowl games, makes sure the teams abide by all the rules, but do not get a single penny from FBS football. Not a cent. So sure, they don't hand out a trophy, but they are also the scapegoat for a lot of things they shouldn't even be in control of in the first place. Personally, the NCAA should wash their hands of FBS and let them run their own show (which they basically are moving towards).

I forgot about the crystal; but I stand behind the ridiculousness of the wording in this case.  A major violation is a car or something tangible.  She still had her apartment and was paying the lease - she was staying with a family friend in absence of actual family being around. 

Where TMC messed up is not asking about this.  It's a lack of education and not a "Major Violation".  Give me a break.
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Yes TMC screwed up, but the major violation is NOT for the initial violation. The major violation is for the inability to monitor the program and keep it above it all. While the NCAA (the Division III committee members actually) who wrote the report said the major violation was the benefit and the length of the benefit, the true major violation was the lack of oversight.

The head coach failed to monitor the former assistant coach and, once he knew of the arrangement, further explore its permissibility. He also failed to promote an atmosphere for compliance within his program. However, the institution and head coach asserted his failure was a secondary violation. The committee disagrees and concludes that the violation is major.

THAT is the part that is the hammer in this case. THAT is the part the infractions committee truly has a hard time with. While the punishment certainly falls on the initial violation as well, it is that last part that is a major no-no in the NCAA. Failure to maintain oversight of a program, failure to abide by compliance, failure to check to see if something is compliant are all major no-nos in the eyes of the NCAA.

TMC made a mistake, but instead of trying to make sure they were or were not okay with what was later deemed a mistake, they compounded the problem my simply moving on and without worrying about it. That is the part that has now bite them. Had they checked and then self-reported, they would have gotten a slap on the wrist, Moss probably would have had to sit out a few games (at worst), and she never would have been deemed ineligible for any games let alone an entire season. Had Jeff Hans simply asked a simple question to someone in the department... we wouldn't be talking about vacated games or a national title.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The opening day of the 2015-16 basketball season started with a bang. The NCAA announcing major violations by Thomas More which resulted in vacating the entire 2014-15 season including the national championship - the first time in the history of Division III basketball, men or women. Tonight on Hoopsville, continuing coverage of the fallout of that decision including an exclusive one-on-one interview with Coach Jeff Hans of Thomas More.

Plus we take a look at the start of the season and talk with Claremont-Mudd-Scripps women's basketball who is no longer flying under the radar. We also talk to the Trine women who want to take control of the MIAA. Plus we hear from two men's coaches starting anew at Case Western Reserve and SUNY-Canton.

Hoopsville airs live starting at 7:00 PM ET. You can watch the show here: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2016-17/nov17

Guests include:
- Adam Turer, Editor and Contributor for D3hoops.com
- Jeff Hans, No. 4 Thomas More women's head coach (exclusive interview)

- Kristen Dowling, No. 24 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps women's head coach
- Ryan Gould, Trine women's head coach
- Ben Thompson, SUNY Canton men's head coach
- Todd McGuinness, Case Western Reserve men's head coach
- Jeff Burns, Randolph-Macon athletics director (former men's basketball committee chair)

Mr. Ypsi

IMHO, the NCAA screwed Thomas More over a 'Tempest in a Teapot'.  If it is true that Sydney Moss was still paying rent on her apartment during this period, then the only 'benefit' was board - and I'd imagine her childcare and other help more than covered that.  And if it is also true that she couldn't stay in her apartment because she couldn't handle the stairs, then I salute the coach (who was a family friend since long before Moss went to TM) for having the decency to provide her with an alternative.  This reminds me of when Indiana had to play Kentucky (the most penalized bball team in D1 history) without Steve Alford, because he was suspended for posing (free) for a sorority calendar (proceeds to charity).  I've rarely seen any evidence that the NCAA enforcement folks have ANY common sense.

Thank goodness my mom was not an athlete.  She attended college during The Depression.  She came from a family in Iowa which never had many resources, yet which sent all four of her older brothers to college.  There is no way she could have afforded college except that a U. of Maine professor gave her 'free' room and board in return for some childcare and some housekeeping - sound familiar?  (And thank goodness he did - otherwise there is little chance my dad from Maine and my mom from Iowa would have ever met! :D)  I suppose even the NCAA enforcement folks might have let that one slide since the professor was one of her older brothers, but the scenario is not THAT dissimilar. 

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

What really comes out of this is the notion that D3 needs different rules for athletes.  Yes, rules like this exist because people do abuse them, but if you're going to spend all the time and money doing an actual investigation, perhaps you could charge those people with figuring out motive, too, right?  The spirit of d3, in the vast majority of member schools, is that we don't treat athletes any different than any other student.  This is the kind of thing many professors, coaches, etc, would do for any student - and it's the kind of thing I'd hope we'd want to promote, not prevent.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The holidays brought us many presents in Division III basketball. From upsets to impressive performances, many teams made an impression. As a result, there is plenty to recap as Hoopsville returns to the air after the holiday break.

Join Dave as he talks to guests around the country and recaps an incredible few weeks - or tries to recap. From an assistant coach who made a life saving decision, a women's coach who has been fighting cancer without missing time with his team, to coaches around the country who have teams that have many wondering ... just how good are they?

With the midseason return of Hoopsville comes with it some of the more structured aspects of the show. For starters, Thursday nights are dedicated primarily to the East, Mid-Atlantic, Great Lakes, and West Regions for guests. Tonight also sees the season debut of the "WBCA Center Court" which is a segment that allows viewers to learn more about coaches and what they are involved in outside of basketball.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch the show LIVE starting at 7pm ET right here: http://bit.ly/2CoVJhv.

You can also send your questions to the show and have them featured on the Hoopsville Mailbag segment. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com.

Guests include (in order of appearance):
- Justin Smith, Dubuque women's assistant coach
- Brian Newhall, Occidental men's coach
- Guy Rancourt, No. 6 Lycoming men's coach
- Matt Dempsey, Merchant Marine women's coach (WBCA Center Court)
- Jeff Hans, No. 8 Thomas More women's coach
- Joe Burke, Skidmore men's coach