MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiko

Quote from: AndOne on April 03, 2017, 10:12:19 PM
Quote from: 4samuy on April 03, 2017, 09:59:54 PM
Very surprised to see the addition of Kramer to the CCIW and the NCC program.

Very surprised to see TEN guys 6"6" or taller on the Augie roster this past season.  ::)

(checks recent NCAA tournament brackets...)

It seems to be working out well for them as a strategy.  I don't know that anyone is really in a good position to poke holes in what Grey has done to build a program geared for sustained success over there on the muddy banks...

Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 05, 2017, 02:29:18 PM

Although Augie's go-to recruiting zone is the western suburbs, the program has always been great at recruiting the northwestern corner of the state, where the likes of Monmouth and Knox simply can't compete and other CCIW coaches seldom go for recruiting purposes. Former Illinois Wesleyan star Victor Davis (Galesburg), who seems to be iwu70's non-operatic obsession at the moment, and North Park threepeat power forward Jim Clauson (Rock Island), were rare exceptions. And Augie has likewise always been very good at crossing the Big Muddy and bringing back kids from the eastern edge of Iowa, kids that eschew the in-state likes of the IIAC schools or Augie's former Quad Cities NAIA rival St. Ambrose.

Maybe the obsession is because Victor Davis did pretty well in IWU's intramural opera league...

petemcb

Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 05, 2017, 02:29:18 PM
Quote from: iwumichigander on April 05, 2017, 12:26:23 PM
Quote from: badgerwarhawk on April 05, 2017, 10:14:04 AM
Admittedly my experience with Augustana is limited but from it I've gotten the impression that Giovanine, however you may feel about him, seems to have a pretty good handle on recruiting.  Of course that doesn't necessarily mean that they are all significant recruits.
Sometimes you just get lucky on the recruiting trail, end up with more than you thought you would get and you just roll with it.  It is not like we hand out athletic scholarships!  While I think Bosko is the best at working with what he has --- Coach G does a pretty good job of that, too.  And, in D3 like other divisions the lack of PT sometimes levels out the field.

Some of the credit for Augustana's remarkable success at bringing in bigs has to belong to Grey Giovanine's second chair, Tom Jessee. As a former Augustana center himself, he knows what to look for and has a good eye for spotting bigs who can succeed on this level.

Although Augie's go-to recruiting zone is the western suburbs, the program has always been great at recruiting the northwestern corner of the state, where the likes of Monmouth and Knox simply can't compete and other CCIW coaches seldom go for recruiting purposes. Former Illinois Wesleyan star Victor Davis (Galesburg), who seems to be iwu70's non-operatic obsession at the moment, and North Park threepeat power forward Jim Clauson (Rock Island), were rare exceptions. And Augie has likewise always been very good at crossing the Big Muddy and bringing back kids from the eastern edge of Iowa, kids that eschew the in-state likes of the IIAC schools or Augie's former Quad Cities NAIA rival St. Ambrose.

+k and I might come back and give another one tomorrow.

WUPHF

OK, I may have just laughed harder than I ever have before after reading the D3boards.com.  Though, in all honesty, I am as obsessive as any IWU alumni.

By the way, Coach Grey is part of the University of Central Missouri Hall of Fame as part of the 1980 team.  He probably deserves individual recognition.  Central Missouri does not take recommendations from outsiders though.  How to solve this...

AndOne

NCC RECRUIT

North Central is pleased to announce that they have received a commitment from Class 1A IBCA First Team All-State 6'3" guard Will Clausel of Newark HS. Will recently helped lead his team to a 4th place finish at the state tournament.

4samuy

Quote from: AndOne on April 04, 2017, 03:59:39 PM
Quote from: 4samuy on April 03, 2017, 10:29:27 PM
Quote from: AndOne on April 03, 2017, 10:12:19 PM
Quote from: 4samuy on April 03, 2017, 09:59:54 PM
Very surprised to see the addition of Kramer to the CCIW and the NCC program.

Very surprised to see TEN guys 6"6" or taller on the Augie roster this past season.  ::)

Help me with your point AO.

Just surprised that Giovanine would recruit that many. I mean how many can play at the same time or even play at all. Of the 10, only Brett Benning, who had a very good initial season, is not a forward or center. Only 2 others averaged playing more than ten minutes a game. Five did not even make the Augie varsity team.

All good points AO.  I'm not sure if you saw the post game press conference after the final, and I know most of it is likely coach speak, but Giovanine specifically mentioned his returning Varsity players and also mentioned the fact that the JVers were undefeated, leading to the quote in typical Giovanine fashion, "you may want to save us a seat".  He was most likely trying to build up his guys, but the fact that the JV squad was undefeated seems to say a lot.  Now, that being said, I don't have a clue as to what the JV schedule looked like.

AndOne

Again, yes sir.
As one of our most learned senior posters can affirm, I am aware of much of what goes on in conjunction with the 🏀 program at NCC. And, to my good fortune, there are gentlemen who do know everything about it that I can consult with as necessary.  :)  8-)
I just can't always reveal what they tell me.  ;)

AndOne

It will be interesting to see what transpires at Millikin with regard to recruits. Wonder if many, or any,
of the players who initially may have become interested in MU after being contacted by Matt Nadelhoffer, will still sign on/deposit with the Big Blue Machine.

newCCIWfan

Quote from: AndOne on April 06, 2017, 01:02:31 AM
It will be interesting to see what transpires at Millikin with regard to recruits. Wonder if many, or any,
of the players who initially may have become interested in MU after being contacted by Matt Nadelhoffer, will still sign on/deposit with the Big Blue Machine.

One such recruit, the son of a MU alumni, has since committed to Quincy.

WUPHF

Quote from: newCCIWfan on April 06, 2017, 02:28:38 PM
One such recruit, the son of a MU alumni, has since committed to Quincy.

From three-win Milliken to 20+ win and NCAA Division II second round Quincy?

Gregory Sager

He might be going to Quincy as a preferred walk-on.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Titan Q

Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 06, 2017, 02:44:15 PM
He might be going to Quincy as a preferred walk-on.

6-7 F Justin Bottorff is going to Quincy on a scholarship (had two D2 scholarships - Quincy and UMSL).  Really talented post that I am almost certain would have ended up at Millikin had they not fired Matt Nadelhoffer.

Gregory Sager

Jeff Bottorff's kid? Bottorff was a pretty good player back in the '80s for the Big Blue; in fact, he was an All-CCIW honoree his senior season, which also happened to be the last season that Jimmy Millikin walked away with a CCIW title (1988-89). Or is this Cary Bottorff's kid? He was a star linebacker for the Big Blue football team back during the same era.

Either way, it sounds like MU was going to get an absolute steal by getting the son of an alumnus to turn down two D2 scholie offers in order to play for dear old dad's alma mater. The fact that they lost a legacy blue-chip is already strike one on the Millikin administration for showing Matt Nadelhoffer the door.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Titan Q

Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 06, 2017, 09:40:29 PM
Jeff Bottorff's kid? Bottorff was a pretty good player back in the '80s for the Big Blue; in fact, he was an All-CCIW honoree his senior season, which also happened to be the last season that Jimmy Millikin walked away with a CCIW title (1988-89). Or is this Cary Bottorff's kid? He was a star linebacker for the Big Blue football team back during the same era.

Either way, it sounds like MU was going to get an absolute steal by getting the son of an alumnus to turn down two D2 scholie offers in order to play for dear old dad's alma mater. The fact that they lost a legacy blue-chip is already strike one on the Millikin administration for showing Matt Nadelhoffer the door.

Jeff's son.

iwu70

You guys are just envious that Vic Davis didn't sing for your programs.  :)

I was just saying that Ron Rose has a big job on his hand to replace several key bigs for the season next year -- with Seibring, Bausch, Amman departing.  It's great to have 8-9 PGs, and perimeter gunners, like Brady Rose and others, but IWU will need some rebounding, paint defense and toughness to compete with those three dozen bigs at Augie.  Otherwise, IWU will be vertically challenged. 

More later . . . I'm headed out to hear Dawn Upshaw perform in Hong Kong!  "The greatest soprano in the world today . . . "

'70 . . . I'm sing'n in the rain . . .