MBB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Oxy'03SalemPavers, March 10, 2005, 12:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoostAr

Great game....agreed it is hard to win up there...maybe its worth contemplating why games are never played down here....answer is bad scheduling.

CMS (aside from being injured and losing early in the season) did themselves no favors by scheduling non counting games.  More to that point: Oxy and Chapman need to play real schedules so that the SCIAC's SOS doesn't suffer as a whole.

Granted the SCIAC fared horribly against the NWC this year so no amount of scheduling would have helped THIS YEAR, but to play games in the state of California the SCIAC has to have a favorable record against and better SOS than the NWC. 

For the sake of example: playing both Cal Miramar and West Coast Baptist 2 times is really a detriment to the SCIAC.  When you schedule that way only 5 schools in the Western Region end up with a worse SOS than your team....but hey, if you're going to out in the first round every year who cares :)

CMS SOS: .491
Whitworth SOS: .537
Whitman SOS: .525

http://web1.ncaa.org/champsel_new/exec/pdf/staticpdfrank

Gosox

So I indicated they'd lose in rounds 1 or 2.... and you just verified my prediction they lost? SMH

OxyBob

Quote from: Gosox on March 05, 2018, 10:02:29 PM
So I indicated they'd lose in rounds 1 or 2

Let's assume you knew Whitman and Whitworth were the No. 1 and No. 2 ranked teams in D-III. You predicted Claremont would go on the road and lose to one of them. Wow, that's sure going out on a limb!

Please help me with my March Madness Final Four picks. Oh, I should pick all four No. 1 regional seeds? Great, thanks!

OxyBob

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: OxyBob on March 07, 2018, 01:17:22 PM

Let's assume you knew Whitman and Whitworth were the No. 1 and No. 2 ranked teams in D-III. You predicted Claremont would go on the road and lose to one of them. Wow, that's sure going out on a limb!

Please help me with my March Madness Final Four picks. Oh, I should pick all four No. 1 regional seeds? Great, thanks!

OxyBob

Ryan Scott actually did predict it. On Hoopsville. Said it on the Bracket Monday show that he had completed his initial tournament preview and felt CMS could get past both Whits this year.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

WoostAr

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 07, 2018, 01:30:49 PM

OxyBob

Ryan Scott actually did predict it. On Hoopsville. Said it on the Bracket Monday show that he had completed his initial tournament preview and felt CMS could get past both Whits this year.

Interesting question is if they had played neutral courts, not back to back who wins?  I think CMS gets them both.  If they play back to back on Claremont's court, I think CMS gets both.  Even on the road, not back-to-back I think CMS gets both.

Only one of those options will ever happen in the tournament -- playing at Claremont, back-to-back -- which should incentivize Claremont to lead the charge on some better scheduling in the SCIAC.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: WoostAr on March 07, 2018, 02:46:25 PM

OxyBob

Interesting question is if they had played neutral courts, not back to back who wins?  I think CMS gets them both.  If they play back to back on Claremont's court, I think CMS gets both.  Even on the road, not back-to-back I think CMS gets both.

Only one of those options will ever happen in the tournament -- playing at Claremont, back-to-back -- which should incentivize Claremont to lead the charge on some better scheduling in the SCIAC.

The scheduling isn't horrible, though it isn't great. I see Texas schools with far worse scheduling, honestly. The challenge for the SCIAC is to improve for sure the scheduling from top down, but I have seen that happening in recent years. Sadly, they seem to be slave to what schools are willing to come to them rather than travel themselves.

Also, a second SCIAC team being eligible (yes, scheduling is part of that) as an at-large could dramatically change the landscape of these conversations as well.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Gray Fox

Road games in the mid west are brutal.  That would help.
Fierce When Roused

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

OxyBob

Gordon strongly suggested I change it.  I had CMS advancing on my initial Tournament Preview.  It turns out we were both sort of right.  CMS did in fact lose, but picking them to win didn't turn out to be so far-fetched.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

OxyBob

Quote from: WoostAr on March 05, 2018, 08:06:01 PM
CMS (aside from being injured and losing early in the season) did themselves no favors by scheduling non counting games.  More to that point: Oxy and Chapman need to play real schedules so that the SCIAC's SOS doesn't suffer as a whole.

Oxy isn't going to change anything.

OxyBob

CMSfan

It's been a few days and I still can't believe how close CMS came to knocking of #2 and #1 on consecutive nights. Too bad. The Stags represented well, but I guess that elusive trip to the Sweet 16 will have to wait. Hopefully they've got an awesome incoming class to replace help replace everything they're losing.

I'm curious to see where CMS ends up in the top 25...

Mike Rejniak

​Dear D3 Faithful ;D,
     I have read many of your posts throughout the years and even met some of you in person, but for those who I haven't met, let me introduce myself: my name is Michael Rejniak and I have spent over 14 years coaching Division 3 basketball and love what our division has done and continues to do for  the sport of basketball. One of the greatest things about Division 3 basketball is the brotherhood that we all have with one another (coaches and players alike). My wish is to showcase the talents of D3 on a national stage in The Basketball Tournament (TBT).  You may have heard me speak about this on the Hoopsville Marathon with Dave McHugh of D3hoops.com (at the 6:11 mark). The TBT is a national tournament that is televised in July/August on ESPN after the NBA season is over. My goal is to put forth an all-star D3 team (current players are ineligible) and have them compete in this tournament to take on Former D1 / semi-pro's to prove that D3 deserves the same respect as other NCAA divisions. The team is mostly complete with former student-athletes from all over the country competing. Once the roster is complete we will be sure to release it through d3hoops. Former Babson College National Champion Matthew Droney '17 will also be assisting me on this journey.

How YOU can help our former elite D3 basketball players

While the end prize of this tournament is a monetary prize, being a D3-lifer, the goal is not the money (we all know that's not why we get into coaching), the goal is to bring an end to the stigma of Division 3 basketball, an awareness of how talented our student-athletes are and that we can compete (and win) against the best. We do need to raise funds for an entry fee, travel, meal and housing expenses for the athletes. In order to do this, we are conducting a crowd-funding campaign through GoFundMe to help make this a reality. These athletes need your support! Just think -- if every Division 3 school donated just $10, we will have raised over $4,000!!!! The link to the GoFundMe Page is below and please SPREAD THE WORD and email me with any questions/concerns at WeAreD3TBT@gmail.com. Thank you in advance for your support and Dave and I look forward to this "D3 Dream Team" taking the court this summer.-Mike Rejniak

Support "We Are D3" In The TBT

WoostAr

Looks like d1 has-beens will get a shot at reliving their glory years by smashing d3 players in TBT this year.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: WoostAr on March 13, 2018, 01:07:19 PM
Looks like d1 has-beens will get a shot at reliving their glory years by smashing d3 players in TBT this year.

I think you might be surprised. DIII guys have played in this tournament on different teams and done very well.

Gray Fox

Fierce When Roused

OxyBob

Oxy got off to a good start and shook off the rust with a 106-55 exhibition win over Bethesda University, which is housed in a 2-story office building in Anaheim.

Next up for Oxy is an exhibition game against a real opponent -- Westmont College -- this Saturday at 7:00 p.m. at Oxy.

OxyBob