MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

augie77

Futbol over football??  You are propagating the red menace! 

Gregory Sager

You and your son must've had some interesting conversations at the dinner table.  :D
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

AndOne

Quote from: WUPHF on April 15, 2019, 11:43:58 AM
I think there will come a day when football is no longer recognized as an NCAA sport.

Are you talking solely D3 or the entire NCAA? And in what millennium?
With D1 stadiums filled with 80,000-100,000+ fans every Saturday in the fall, and the multi millions of dollars generated by those fans that fill the coffers of the various member schools, it seems doubtful said NCAA recognition will vanish anytime in the foreseeable future. Unfortunate as it may be, will not the current income stream to large member institutions, plus the opportunity for elite level players to parlay their talents into becoming future members of the top 1%, trump (sorry) the risk posed by possible brain injury despite it's potentially catastrophic consequences as detailed by currently available research?

WUPHF

Quote from: AndOne on April 15, 2019, 04:51:34 PM
With D1 stadiums filled with 80,000-100,000+ fans every Saturday in the fall, and the multi millions of dollars generated by those fans that fill the coffers of the various member schools, it seems doubtful said NCAA recognition will vanish anytime in the foreseeable future.

Not in your lifetime, no...

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I think there will come a day when football is no longer recognized as an NCAA sport.

With D1 stadiums filled with 80,000-100,000+ fans every Saturday in the fall, and the multi millions of dollars generated by those fans that fill the coffers of the various member schools, it seems doubtful said NCAA recognition will vanish anytime in the foreseeable future. Unfortunate as it may be, will not the current income stream to large member institutions, plus the opportunity for elite level players to parlay their talents into becoming future members of the top 1%, trump (sorry) the risk posed by possible brain injury despite it's potentially catastrophic consequences as detailed by currently available research?

It's much more likely the 64 biggest D1 schools will just abandon the NCAA altogether and form their own thing, running their own sports and keeping all the money.  They could have four, two division conferences, do their own giant March basketball tournament, run a football playoff (eight division winners), and set their own rules.

That's far more likely than the NCAA dropping a sport like football.

(It would also be doomsday for d3, so lets hope they figure out a compromise.)
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

WUPHF

I use the phrase come a day to some day far off in the future.

I doubt football gets dropped in my life time either, but I do think there will come a day when we no longer play football.

I think the biggest Division I schools will wield more and more power within the NCAA, but I cannot imagine how they leave it.

Incidentally, outside of the 64 biggest Division I institutions, I am not sure if we will have Division I football.  I am looking at schools such as the University of Tulsa who announced major cuts this week. 

Gregory Sager

My guess is that football will become a larger-scale version of what boxing has become. Because brain injury -- to say nothing of all of the other debilitating chronic conditions associated with the lingering effects of major injuries suffered in football -- is a medical fact and an inevitability to a significant percentage of football players if they play the game long enough, middle-class parents will stop allowing their offspring to play the sport, even in places such as Texas where football is akin to a secular religion. Football, like boxing, will become a sport for the poor who seek a ticket out of poverty and who are willing to allow their sons to be that ticket by sacrificing their brains and their bodies in order to achieve the big paycheck (which will eventually start being handed out at the D1 level). That would spell the doom of D3 football even more surely than would Ryan's scenario of the D1 schools abandoning the NCAA to do their own thing.

The other alternative, probably the only alternative that will save D3 football, is if the rules of the game regarding contact are drastically modified to the point where American football much more closely resembles its sister sports (rugby league, rugby union, Aussie rules football, and Gaelic football).

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Titan Q

Hearing North Central has won a recruiting battle with St. Thomas and Loras for Brian Johnson, a 6-5 PF from Glenbrook North (13.9 pts, 5 rebs, 2.4 assists).

AndOne

Quote from: Titan Q on April 16, 2019, 09:27:44 PM
Hearing North Central has won a recruiting battle with St. Thomas and Loras for Brian Johnson, a 6-5 PF from Glenbrook North.

I can now confirm such is the case. Wanted to let Brian tweet the news before any formal announcement/confirmation.

The North Central Cardinals are delighted to welcome 6'5" Brian Johnson from Glenbrook North.
On the season Brian averaged 13.9 PPG, 5.0 RPG, and 2.4 APG, and did so while playing all 5 positions on the court. He frequently brought the ball up for the Spartans, and is an accomplished ball handler and passer in addition to his shot making abilities. The Cardinals identified Brian as one of their most desired targets very early in the past season, and closely pursued him throughout. Brian is a student-athlete in the true sense. After practice he would go home, make sure to fully complete his homework, and then frequently return to the gym to further work on his game.
In addition to St. Thomas, Brian also visited Loras and St. Norbert, and was in contact with Lake Forest, Augustana, and North Park to varying degrees.
Another great get for the Cardinals.
Welcome Brian! 🏀

Titan Q

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on April 16, 2019, 10:30:38 AM

It's much more likely the 64 biggest D1 schools will just abandon the NCAA altogether and form their own thing, running their own sports and keeping all the money.  They could have four, two division conferences, do their own giant March basketball tournament, run a football playoff (eight division winners), and set their own rules.

That's far more likely than the NCAA dropping a sport like football.

(It would also be doomsday for d3, so lets hope they figure out a compromise.)

How is your theory different than the current form of FBS? The NCAA gets no money from FBS football. They only certify the games. The money goes to the conferences and programs. They already set the FBS "playoffs" and don't need permission from the NCAA on how that works. Thus why there is no NCAA "walnut and bronze" handed out for FBS (just FCS). If the NCAA had a say or ran FBS, we would have a traditional football tournament.

Now if you are talking about leaving for all sports ... I don't see it happening. They need the rest of the division for all their other sports. March Madness isn't as big a hook, if not for the mid-majors and others and their upsets and runs. They need the rest of the division for their smaller sports and such as well. I really feel that the "Power 5" may want some autonomy for things like football, but I think they know the rest of the NCAA is important to the well being of their conferences and other sports.

I understand why the idea is out there. I am not going to say it will never happen - we've all be surprised before - I just don't see it really happening.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

AndOne

AndOne

Carroll

Rocco Ronzio, 6'2" SG from Hersey HS in Arlington Heights, IL
11.1 PPG
2.5 RPG
1.4 APG
0.5 SPG

Augie

Matt Hanushewsky, 5'9" PG from Hersey HS
8.2 PPG
2.6 RPG
3.2 APG
1.8 SPG

IWU

Ryan Verhulst, 6'3" SF/SG from Hersey
6.2 PPG
1.9 RPG
1.0 APG
0.4 SPG

markerickson

Not sure why North Park continues to feature a photo of Jordan Robinson on its athletics page when the kid has not played at Kedzie and Foster in two years after declaring himself eligible for the NBA draft.

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Jordan-Robinson/Summary/89787
Once a metalhead, always a metalhead.  Matthew 5:13.