FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bombers798891

Quote from: Jonny "Utes" Utah on August 19, 2016, 07:59:06 AM
Quote from: Bartman on August 17, 2016, 09:57:38 PM
To further reinforce ITH, all of the LL are ranked at least "more competitive" academically by USNews rankings( RPI and U of R are " most competitive" and well endowed) . Ithaca met the academic criteria . Not that USNews is the bible but HS GPA, 4 year retention rate, admit% ,and # of Fulbrights,etc are important criteria to LL Presidents.I think the Presidents care more about the "almost NESCAC" image and not giving us another football team just to get an NCAA berth, so  convincing other LL members to start a program may be best hope. Having a strong OOC schedule will be very important if one more team is not added, like scheduling top E8 teams .

I was told a few years ago unofficially that Ithaca needed to be more selective with admissions, and that was especially important with athletics, where back in the day, even mopes like myself could get in.  Most LL teams have an acceptance rate under 50%, with most nescac schools under 30%.  Ithaca just got under 60% recently (which then bumped back up to almost 70% after a drop in applications) and I believe would be still be the highest in the LL by far.  In the same conversation, the person told me that Ithaca has been hitting fundraising hard, and the school has had some recent higher end donations (nothing like Ivy and Nescac schools get), and the endowment has been steady in a down market as well compared to many other national universities.  This is a sign that they may be able to restrict admissions even further in the future, although a school the size of Ithaca (almost 7K now), still depends on tuition to make the school function on a year to year basis.

As you point out: the problem with getting more selective is that it only works if you hit your application numbers. I've heard this has been as issue for the college at times

D3pc

Just saw WPI has 58 freshman on their updated roster! Obviously things happen, but I can't remember a LL team having that big of a class in a long time. Will the new league have a higher roster limit?

dlippiel

Quote from: D3pc on August 21, 2016, 03:22:20 PM
Just saw WPI has 58 freshman on their updated roster! Obviously things happen, but I can't remember a LL team having that big of a class in a long time. Will the new league have a higher roster limit?

Hopefully they can build on the success they had last season and have a solid year.

ITH radio

It is WPI's largest recruiting class ever. Coach Rob is doing good things and it hasn't gone unnoticed. I can't say if the NEWMAC has roster limits or not, but I don't think the LL does either. Typically FB teams in LL keep FY classes in the 30-5 range given admissions and other aspects so WPI's is an outlier but given how tough a school it is, these FY can apparently make the grade.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

Bartman

So the 2016 LL prediction has Hobart #1 and predicts an undefeated season(that means wins against E8 solids like Brockport and Ithaca...no easy feat). Like last year , I am very worried that this prediction will jinx the Statesman. I still think the Saints should be the favorite, especially with Hobart playing them in Canton this year. So, I am picking Union to upset the Saints in Schenectady(for Dlip) and then SLU beating Hobart in the last minute for the title and the tie breaker on Nov. 5(payback for last year). I am also hoping my prediction does not come true but instead, it reverses the jinx of the D3 Football forecast of an undefeated Hobart season. I also think that picking Sweeney as the breakout player may jinx him as well........I am now very worried but very excited for the start of the season...but how can I reverse these jinxes ???
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Pat Coleman

By getting more of your friends to buy Kickoff. ;) I'm sure that will work.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Bartman

Pat,
   Thank you for the totally objective suggestion......if I thought it would work, I would pay for all of the LL posting family...in fact, anyone who buys Kickoff can send me your receipts to Bartman, P.O. Box 1822, Geneva, NY 14456....and I will reimburse you for helping me remove the jinx ... Thanks again Pat ;D
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

UfanBill

Union didn't make it past media day without bad news. http://www.dailygazette.com/videos/2016/aug/23/2489/  Cioffi started 8 of 10 games last season albeit all losses. Nick Cascione played well at times and is a better runner. Union also has Sr. QB Blake Geller on the roster. He has started a handful of games in his career..
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

Bartman

Quote from: UfanBill on August 24, 2016, 02:51:19 PM
Union didn't make it past media day without bad news. http://www.dailygazette.com/videos/2016/aug/23/2489/  Cioffi started 8 of 10 games last season albeit all losses. Nick Cascione played well at times and is a better runner. Union also has Sr. QB Blake Geller on the roster. He has started a handful of games in his career..
That sucks for the Dutchmen, I saw Cioffi play last year and he has a great arm, but Cascione and Geller have some experience. It is better to lose Cioffi now, so you can commit to the new QB.  10 QB's in camp ...wow some heavy recruiting there, maybe one of the recruits will impress and move up the depth chart. Good Luck
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

dlippiel

Quote from: Bartman on August 24, 2016, 05:53:35 PM
Quote from: UfanBill on August 24, 2016, 02:51:19 PM
That sucks for the Dutchmen, I saw Cioffi play last year and he has a great arm, but Cascione and Geller have some experience. It is better to lose Cioffi now, so you can commit to the new QB.  10 QB's in camp ...wow some heavy recruiting there, maybe one of the recruits will impress and move up the depth chart. Good Luck

First off let me say I feel terribly for Dante. Dante is a great kid and a QB who has a ton of potential. I know he has worked very hard to prepare for the season and this is a terrible break for him.

With that being said and trying to look at this objectively from a purely analytical perspective I don't believe this spells disaster for the Dutchmen.

First we must remember the season Union had last year, it was awful from top to bottom (minus a few positives). We are all aware of the coaching changes that have taken place. This season and the future will be many things, but to dlip the end result will not be directed by one player at any position here in 2016.

The Dutchmen have two very capable QB's that could serve the program well this season. IDHO Sophomore Nick Casicione and Senior Blake Gellar both are capable of delivering what Coach Berhman needs. Both are undersized but bring some strengths to the position. Both have strong arms with the edge going to Geller who is the more natural passer and who is more comfortable sitting in the pocket. Both can scramble with Casicione being the stronger runner. The kid is tough as nails and very quick.

We know that this season represents the beginning of something new, something that will need significant time to develop and grow into the mold that Coach Behrman envisions for the program. To dlip, at this point of the season (pre-season) the quarterback position is there for anyone to fill. This injury, while awful (and on a personal level for Dante very troubling) will not take away from what the Dutchmen will look to do this season. On top of this the good news is that Dante (god willing) will be back next year, healthy and ready to challenge for the starting job behind center.

*By the way, +k to bartman for the upset pick! Thanks brother, dlip needed that! dlip is really looking forward to seeing Sweeney develop and succeed here in 2016. He's got all the tools he just needs to stay healthy.

Bombers798891

I have to agree with Dlip 100%.

I absolutely feel awful for any player who gets injured, especially when it ends their season, but objectively speaking, Union was 0-10, and Cioffi completed less than 50% of his passes, with about a 1-1 TD/INT ratio. While there's reason to think he'd get better, there's no reason to think Casicione isn't just as good, or better.

Eagle322

This is a traditional scrimmage weekend for LL teams - anyone have any idea if Union/RPI/St. Lawrence will be in action?

D3pc

http://www.libertyleagueathletics.com/news/2016/8/25/FB_0825165310.aspx

No real surprises here. I just wonder if it was Coach Puck of SLU or Coach Cragg of Hobart of voted for RPI (cannot vote for your own team to be first).

Bombers798891

Quote from: D3pc on August 25, 2016, 06:47:11 PM
http://www.libertyleagueathletics.com/news/2016/8/25/FB_0825165310.aspx

No real surprises here. I just wonder if it was Coach Puck of SLU or Coach Cragg of Hobart of voted for RPI (cannot vote for your own team to be first).

Could be anyone. SLU/Hobart's coaches could have voted for Hobart/SLU

UfanBill

No way does Union finish last in the LL this year. I'm optimistically thinking 4-6, 3-4 league. The team has been challenged by the new coaching staff and the alumni/fan community and will surprise a few people.
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳