MBB: Commonwealth Conference

Started by Warren Thompson, March 16, 2005, 05:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warren Thompson

Colonel:

Actually, I'm thinking of retiring with my current number of posts. After all, I've got more 'one stars' than anyone else -- what's left to prove?

(Message edited by wt on March 16, 2005)

Mike Dougherty aka Knightstalker

I almost went to work for M&M Mars in Hackettstown NJ as a machinist but decided against it.  I was tired of working a swing shift so I took a job at another shop.  In Northern NJ, (can't think of the town right now) is the Nabisco bakery, I used to love driving past that place on our way to see my grandmother, the air smelled so good.  Then somebody decided that filters needed to be put in place because it was air pollution, so now all you smell is gas and diesel fumes and swamp.

Gregory Sager

The irony of a fresh-food smell in New Jersey, of all places, being considered "air pollution" is mind-reeling. http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>

Gordon "Marco Scutaro" Mann

Wow.  Class trips to the M&M factory.

That's much cooler than the trips my elementary school used to make to the Crayola Factory in Easton, PA.

No matter the name, a crayon by any color tastes the same...

Warren Thompson

What, Marco, you have something against Crayola, an iconic company for millions of American kids?. Crayolas may not taste as good as M&M's, but you wouldn't have made it through elementary school without 'em, I don't think. Didn't you several times a day twirl a Crayola in the golden locks of the fourth-grade girl sitting directly in front of you way back when? And isn't such foolishness a vitally important part of growing up?

Advise soonest ....

We didn't get to go to the Crayola factory when I was a kid.  It was long before the nice visitors center in Downtown Easton and back when the Center Square in Easton was not the nicest place to bring children.  We did get to go to the Franklin Institute though.  I always loved those trips, I can't wait to take my daughter there.  Supposedly they are refurbishing the giant walk through heart.

The biggest advantage of the Class Trip to the M&M factory was the fact it was only fifteen minutes from my elementary school.  That meant more time in the land of candy.

Gordon "Marco Scutaro" Mann

Mmm...burnt siena.

I'm lactose intollerant so maybe this was my way of eating something vaguely resembling chocolate.

By the way, if anyone was curious, they all taste like wax.

soccaplaya23

Okay...lots of good information about twirling crayolas in the hair of little girls and eating burnt sienna crayons, not to mention the past of beautiful downtown Easton...

HOWEVER...this all started when i ASKED "WHY DOES ETOWN DROP AN M&M ON NEW YEARS EVE????????"

So, not that I don't enjoy and chortle at these other references, but I now that the topic was brought up, I need to know!  What the heck is Etown doing dropping an M&M if they don't even make them.  And the answer of "well they have the Mars factory" just isn't satisfactory...  Did someone with less than an average IQ decide that MAYBE mars would start making m&m's in Etown...so just in case, let's start dropping one on New Year's Eve?  

Or maybe my rant is for nothing, and someone actually posted the real answer, and I missed it.  If so, please tell me where to look, haha, and I shall go eat my foot (as uncomfortable as it would be).

Tim Flynn

Well best I can tell, they drop an M&M because it's a Mars factory and they're just known for M&Ms. They may not make them there now, but they probably made them there at some point.

A quick google search revealed some fascinating traditions:

The object-dropping craze is epidemic throughout Central Pa. Harrisburg, of course, drops a strawberry; Lancaster drops a red rose while York drops a white rose; Lebanon drops one of those god-awful bolognas; Hummelstown drops a sucker; Dillsburg drops a pickle (obviously); And Falmouth, home of the infamous goat races, drops a stuffed goat. Cleona, for some reason, drops a pretzel, Mechanicsburg a wrench, and Shippensburg an anchor. Manheim, instead of dropping a ball a la NYC, raises one.

Annville doesn't seem to be in the mix - maybe they could drop the poor departed Dutchman head?

I want to party with the people who drop the stuffed goat.

Parkman

Well, I know for sure that Etown dropped the M&M this year not at midnight, but at 7 PM because it was midnight in Etown's sister city of Letterkenney, Ireland.

And there are other bizarre ones in central PA, here are some:

Lancaster drops a red rose
York drops a white rose
Lebanon drops a bologna
New Bloomfield drops a huckleberry
Duncannon drops a sled
Hummelstown drops a lollipop
Dillsburg drops a pickle
Falmouth drops a goat

The list I found also includes Elizabethtown and Lebanon. Etown drops the M&M to represent Mars, since what better represents the company. But, as far as I know, M&M's have never been made in Etown, so it's kind of false advertising.

Parkman

Well, that list was apparently posted as I was typing and researching...good work Tim!

ColonelJohn4Life

Ahhh, crayons...  
"I drew the duck blue, because I'd never seen a blue duck before." -Billy Madison

Perhaps E-town would be better served dropping their 2002 National Championship trophy at New Year's Eve.  WHOOPS!

ColonelJohn's grade school class trips - Knoebels "Amusement Resort".  Win-win situation, whether or not you're above the 54 inch height requirement for the Satellite.

soccaplaya23

Speaking of Billy Madison..."T-t-today junior!"  Best scene in the whole movie (especially if you are a teacher who actually has wanted to say that many times, but hasn't been able to due to moral obligations and constraints of the profession).  

ColonelJohn...loooooooooooooooow shot...haha...but I still laughed.  

Maybe Fisher's campus could drop a laminated copy of their schedule from this year...up until the point where they lost of course.  Ooh, ouch, that stings.  Haha.

MY elementary school class trips included trips to the "Crystal Caves"  oooooh ahhhhh, scenic Roadside America, AND an even awesomer (*that word inspired by a 2nd grader) trip to the coal miner's tunnel in Ashland (often also referred to as Pioneer's Tunnel, I believe).  

I love being from the Coal Region.

Since I want to relate my post to basketball in some way, seeing as we are on a basketball discussion board...  The coal region has the single BEST arena to watch a high school basketball game in Martz Hall of Pottsville (the Mecca).  Yes, it's old...and oh yes, it is equally fantastic!