MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TUAngola and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

KnightSlappy

Quote from: sac on January 02, 2016, 08:49:57 PM
Trine's twitter is reporting the Thunder's 10-1 start is the schools best since 1983-84.

If you're wondering about Pool C.  Trine is in much better shape than Hope due to the SOS calculations but neither team is really going to present a great resume to the committee unless we as a league get 3 ranked teams in the region.    Alma's criteria is at least pretty decent as they'll have at least 3 wins vs ranked teams from outside the MIAA most likely and a pretty strong SOS.  Calvin actually isn't in terrible shape either.

Knightslappy ran his numbers this week:
http://tomaroonandgold.blogspot.com/p/division-iii-mens-regional-rankings.html

I actually have Hope with much worse SOS, but since I'm much worth at math we'll go with KS's numbers.  I do think Hope's SOS is going to drop quite a bit as the year goes on and should finish around .500 or below which isn't all that great.

Calvin is going to very much regret that Anderson loss if they can find a way to go 10-4 or better in league play (admittedly a tall task). Their schedule this year was relatively tough and very road/neutral heavy. Their final strength of schedule number is going to be good.

A win at Anderson would have put them in "ranked" position (it's early, I agree), but now they'll have to claw their way back in. MIAA has a chance to rank three teams in the regional rankings, so they'll get some chances there. But that was a bad loss to have if you want to eventually be considered for an elusive Pool C bid.

KnightSlappy

I'm not sure if it was posted here on the board, but Dave McHugh interviewed coach Kevin Vande Streek after the D3hoops Classic. The interview can be found on the page below:

http://d3hoops.com/classic/index

The interview was also included in last night's episode of Hoopsville (roughly maybe 1:45 into the show).

http://d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2015-16/jan3

sac

The MIAA has to have one of the weirdest Massey ratings distributions of any conference, 3 in the top 15, 6 in the top 100 and......well,

Hope       #4
Trine       #10
Alma       #15
---------------------
Albion     #75
Adrian     #83
Calvin     #91
----------------------
Olivet       #358
Kzoo        #359

This comes really close to matching efficiency breakdowns too.

iwumichigander

Quote from: sac on January 04, 2016, 12:21:08 PM
The MIAA has to have one of the weirdest Massey ratings distributions of any conference, 3 in the top 15, 6 in the top 100 and......well,

Hope       #4
Trine       #10
Alma       #15
---------------------
Albion     #75
Adrian     #83
Calvin     #91
----------------------
Olivet       #358
Kzoo        #359

This comes really close to matching efficiency breakdowns too.
And, if the Massey distribution holds through the conference season,your observations on SOS will likely come true. 

Gregory Sager

Quote from: BogeyMan on January 03, 2016, 02:15:32 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on December 30, 2015, 09:57:34 PM
Quote from: sac on December 30, 2015, 08:55:32 PM
North Park 82  Albion 77    ---1 pt game late but NP pulled away.   There was either a technical of flagrant foul late in this game, not sure which.  I only saw the lonesome ft shooter.

it was a flagrant, not a technical. Albion's Arshawn Parker pushed NPU's T.J. Cobbs in the back after Cobbs had gotten to an offensive rebound and was anticipating what would've been an easy layup if he hadn't been shoved.

Completely wrong!  Albion intentionally grabbed the shirt of a NP player going in for a uncontested breakway layup just past mid-court!  Missed one free throw and made 2 point basket after getting ball inbounds.

Mr. Sager, with your reputation on this board I hate to disagree but I was there were no flagrants were called.

My apologies on the missed description, as Defiance's video feed went out towards the end of the game and I missed that play. When the picture came back, NPU"s Cobbs was all alone at the free-throw line. So afterwards I asked one of the NPU players why Cobbs was shooting an empty-lane FT shortly before the end of the game, and what I described is what he told me; he was obviously mixing up the play in question with another one, and I'm guessing that he doesn't know the rulebook's distinctions between the definitions of "flagrant" and "intentional" when it comes to fouls. Again, my apologies for the misunderstanding.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

sac

New poll:  http://d3hoops.com/top25/men/2015-16/week4

Congrats to Hope, Trine and Alma.  It's been at least a few years since the MIAA had three teams getting votes.

Brooks Miller and Sam Hargraves were hired in the same year (2011-12).  In the previous year Trine finished 7th, Alma 8th in the MIAA both with overall losing records.  Both have done great jobs building their programs to where they are today.  This is not the same MIAA of the last few decades at all.

GreatScot!?

The Scots finished 7-4 to wrap up non-conference play playing 4 ranked teams. First time Alma has finished with a winning non-conference record in who knows when! The first game against Ohio Northern was the really only bad game on the Scots resume. Before New Years Alma won the Saint Norbert Tournament after beating Wisconsin River Falls and #23 ranked St. Norbert. Scott Nikodemski continues to lead the MIAA in FG% while Jason Beckman leads in 3PT%. The team looks to make a run at winning the MIAA after improving in each of Hargraves previous seasons. The Scots start off their conference schedule in Kalamazoo on Wednesday!

Happy Calvin Guy

Facts I found interesting:

Alma is currently on a 389-day home winning streak.

In their last 38 games without Jordan Brink listed on the roster (dating back to the 2009-10 MIAA championship game), Calvin is 18-20.

If Jordan Daley averages 12.8 ppg the rest of the regular season, he will become Calvin's 24th member of the 1,000 point club.

sac

Where do I sign the petition to get MIAA.org to update its season stats into the HTML format?

KnightSlappy

Quote from: KnightSlappy on December 30, 2015, 09:52:47 PM
Mike Siegel did not play for Calvin after starting yesterday. I don't know what the story is there.

Turns out Siegel was a little banged up from taking a tumble into the scorers table the night before.  He's back playing tonight.

realist

Hope by 3 over Albion.  68-65  Hope battled back from about 10+ down.
Calvin by 4 over Trine.  74-70  Trine is everything they said they are.
Alma by 1 over Kzoo in O.T. 86-85 
Adrian up by 10 with 9 + to go.
"If you are catching flack it means you are over the target".  Brietbart.

Flying Dutch Fan

Great koogly-moogly, what a surprising start to the league!!!
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

realist

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on January 06, 2016, 09:40:02 PM
Great koogly-moogly, what a surprising start to the league!!!
Amen to that. :)  Watched Hope struggle with Albion most of the game.  Calvin/Trine was a toss up most of the way, and Calvin just really hustled at the end to get some t.o's and scrappy baskets to get the W.
Kzoo is always a tough place to play, and they tried to get that first D3 win.
Adrian now up 75 - 60 with about 2 to go so that looks like the only "easy" W tonight.
"If you are catching flack it means you are over the target".  Brietbart.

almcguirejr

Calvin was down 70-64 with 2:18 to play after Trine hit 4 3 pointers in a three minute stretch.  Calvin finished with a 10-0 run to win a well played game.  Every Calvin player contributed tonight. Jordan Daley, with 18 points in the second half, was very good.  Parks and Wilkes with 6 assists. Tony Canonie comes up with a huge steal from Will Dixon with 22 seconds to go and Calvin only up 1.  Nate Drews hits a huge 3 11 seconds after he had entered the game. Calvin only 7 turnovers tonight.  Trine had eight.  A great team effort!