Liberty League

Started by Pat Cummings, March 01, 2005, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicman

It's a final as Skidmore's season comes to an end as they lose to #9 Amherst 79-39.

met_fan

Quote from: buck1053 on February 28, 2011, 12:05:56 AM
Quote from: with age came? on February 27, 2011, 03:54:44 PM
Glad to see Skidmore win and Hamilton go out with a loss. It wouldn't feel right to me to have a team "bolt" while on top.

I agree. Especially Hamilton and Tobin Anderson. Haven't been a fan of his since he was with Clarkson and his time at Hamilton hasn't changed that.

A lot of Hamilton hatred on this board the last page or so...they have been affiliated with the NESCAC for a lot longer than the LL/UCAA.  It's as though people are taking it as a personal insult that they're leaving the league.  It was only a matter of time, as playing different leagues in different sports is not an ideal situation.

with age came?

Skidmore takes one on the chin!! :o  Good season though for the LL champs especially considering a few short years ago they were the "doormat" of the league.  I think they only had 1 league win in the 2007-2008 season.  Ran into a buzzsaw tonight though.  Think Ham,ilton may have a little trouble against that type of competition next year. :D

met_fan

Quote from: with age came? on March 04, 2011, 11:13:00 PM
Skidmore takes one on the chin!! :o  Good season though for the LL champs especially considering a few short years ago they were the "doormat" of the league.  I think they only had 1 league win in the 2007-2008 season.  Ran into a buzzsaw tonight though.  Think Ham,ilton may have a little trouble against that type of competition next year. :D

Clearly they're not at the level of Amherst/Williams/Middlebury at the moment, but they have been in the past, and they already play Williams and Midd every year as it is.  It's not as though the rest of that league lit it up this year.  I don't think the prowess of the basketball team was the deciding factor in that move anyway.  I really don't mean any disrespect to any LL school - they're all great colleges - but you know that the Hamilton administration wants to be affiliated with Williams and Amherst and the like for their academic prestige, and I'm sure how the fate of the basketball team was well down on the list of priorities. They'll likely be a middle of the pack team, much like they've been in the LL recently, anyway.

buck1053

Quote from: met_fan on March 04, 2011, 10:52:08 PM

A lot of Hamilton hatred on this board the last page or so...they have been affiliated with the NESCAC for a lot longer than the LL/UCAA.  It's as though people are taking it as a personal insult that they're leaving the league.  It was only a matter of time, as playing different leagues in different sports is not an ideal situation.

Personally, I don't really care about them leaving the league, I just don't like the type of program it is. I didn't like it when Murph was there, though I do give him respect for the powerhouse he built there. Not necessarily the way it was done, but the skills that he applied to do so and do so for a good many years.

As for Tobin, I'm just not a fan. Never have been, never will be and I do think that Hamilton would have better served with a different choice. They've had some success, but also some real disappointments. The program is a mere shadow of what it used to be.

As for Hamilton leaving, it's no surprise. They're making a smart move, the NESCAC is way more attractive and close to Hamilton's academic profile. I also think the Liberty League will have a much different look to it in the next few years, and I'm not just talking about the additions of RIT (why are they adding a 14,000-student school. Ithaca would have been a more logical choice, especially since it could slide right into the vacant Hamilton slot) and Bard (?. Well, at least Vassar will have someone to battle it out with for last place). I think there will be some more changes coming in the next couple of years and it will be interesting to see what the league looks like when the dust settles.

met_fan

Quote from: buck1053 on March 05, 2011, 01:46:54 AM
Quote from: met_fan on March 04, 2011, 10:52:08 PM

Personally, I don't really care about them leaving the league, I just don't like the type of program it is. I didn't like it when Murph was there, though I do give him respect for the powerhouse he built there. Not necessarily the way it was done, but the skills that he applied to do so and do so for a good many years.

As for Tobin, I'm just not a fan. Never have been, never will be and I do think that Hamilton would have better served with a different choice. They've had some success, but also some real disappointments. The program is a mere shadow of what it used to be.

As for Hamilton leaving, it's no surprise. They're making a smart move, the NESCAC is way more attractive and close to Hamilton's academic profile. I also think the Liberty League will have a much different look to it in the next few years, and I'm not just talking about the additions of RIT (why are they adding a 14,000-student school. Ithaca would have been a more logical choice, especially since it could slide right into the vacant Hamilton slot) and Bard (?. Well, at least Vassar will have someone to battle it out with for last place). I think there will be some more changes coming in the next couple of years and it will be interesting to see what the league looks like when the dust settles.

I don't disagree about Tobin and the current state of the program.  The potential is there for the school, like the hockey team turning around pretty quickly with a new coach and the sustained success of the women's lacrosse team with a very good coach.  Don't know if the basketball team can do it with the current coach.

labart96

labart96

Quote from: TGP on March 05, 2011, 11:40:44 PM
Hobart beats Sage, will face Medaille in the ECAC final tmw

http://www.hwsathletics.com/news/2011/3/5/HBB_0305112706.aspx

Congrats to the 2011 Upstate ECAC Champ Hobart Statesmen - 62 pts in the second half!

with age came?

Congratulations to the Statesmen!!  A spot of redemption and I believe the all time most wins in a season for the program!! 

buck1053

Tobin Anderson is leaving Hamilton for an assistant position at Siena:

http://www.uticaod.com/sports/basketball/x1401928910/Andersons-departure-leaves-Hamilton-looking-for-2-coaches

Any theories on who might be in the running to replace him?

haterinthehouse

izzy metz from hobart

buck1053

Looks like Hamilton has some finalists for their opening, based on this report from HoopDirt.

Here's what they had to say:

"The search at Hamilton College (NY) is in full swing. It sounds like at least four guys will interview on campus. The names that I've heard are Adam Stockwell (head coach Oswego State), Jim Driggs (head coach Allegheny College – Hamilton alum), Adam Hutchinson (head coach Washington and Lee), and Bill Geitner (head coach Eastern Connecticut – Hamilton alum and former assistant there). I've also heard Northeastern assistant Jim McCarthy's name come up surrounding this gig – he's a Hamilton alum and works at NU for Bill Coen (another Hamilton alum). Also on NU's staff is legendary Hamilton coach Tom Murphy (600+ wins in 34 years). Seems like McCarthy has the connections if he wants it, but I have not heard that he is in the group that will interview on campus."

Here's a link to the post: http://hoopdirt.com/blog/9587244e/daily-dirt-6-27-11/

thebear

Stockwell also has a strong Murphy connection... His father was the stud player for Murphy when he won something like 60 games in a row at the HS level, which paved the way for Murphy to move to the college ranks.  Stockwell has had success at every stop in his career, and will likely get a strong endorsement from Murphy if it comes to that.
"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

buck1053

Quote from: thebear on July 02, 2011, 10:29:54 PM
Stockwell also has a strong Murphy connection... His father was the stud player for Murphy when he won something like 60 games in a row at the HS level, which paved the way for Murphy to move to the college ranks.  Stockwell has had success at every stop in his career, and will likely get a strong endorsement from Murphy if it comes to that.

Looks like you had the winds sniffed out pretty solidly on this one, Stockwell was named head coach last week.

thebear

Made sense to me all along, but seems he wasn't their first choice, and given the length of time it took, wonder if Oswego countered.  He really left someone a stud lineup with the Lakers, Burridge is a player, and there's two other 6-8 all staters on the roster.

Be interesting to see how he does in the cauldron of the NESCAC, where he def is with the big boys, Amherst, Williams, Middlebury all top 5 contenders.

Wish him well, a class act, and very disciplined.
"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday