MBB: State University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by bamm, March 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amh63

Magicman...nice to hear from you.  Hope the Summer finds you well.
Just want to let you know that the Associate WBB coach at Bowdoin has moved on to a head coach job....a position at another  conference school...it is on the conference website.  If you get any feedback from your source on the move...I would be interested.

magicman

Hello amh63. Doing fine this summer. Saw the press releases on the Middlebury resignation and then the hire of the Bowdoin assistant. I sent you a personal message so check there.

magicman

Wondering where my friend from Buffalo is to :

A.  Tell me about the places I sent him to check on at Lake George and whether he did so and had fun.

B.  Wondering why he kept it a secret that my Plattsburgh State team is playing in an early season tournament at Buffalo State (due to a cancellation by some other team) and who our opponents might be since I know we will not be playing Buff State. Good old Coach Curle to the rescue it would appear. (Hope there are no non-DIII schools in the Coles Classic, which I assume is the tournament in question on the weekend of Friday and Saturday Nov 21st and 22nd. Our coming to the rescue of Buff State in this tournament may have cost us a home and home 2 year series with Amherst and the Lord Jeffs who were looking for an opponent to play on Feb 11th or 12th and would be willing to travel one year and have a return visit the next year. Unfortunately we no longer had a game open and couldn't take advantage of the opportunity. If the Bengals or any other SUNYAC team still have an open date you might want to give Coach Hixson a  call at Amherst. Here's the link to the  info:   http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=3699.75

C. Thought Buff State was a season opening tournament for us, but just discovered we open up on Saturday, Nov. 15th at the Lycoming, Pennslyvania, tournament against Elizabethtown and then face the winner/loser  of the Lycoming-Penn State-Schuylkill game on Sunday the 16th. I'm guessing it will be Plattsburgh State-Lycoming in the Championship game on Sunday at 3:00 PM. At least I hope it works out that way.

The Plattsburgh State schedule was released today with the exception of who we play in the Buff State tournament.  We play our final 2 SUNYAC games against Brockport and Geneseo in Plattsburgh on Feb. 20th and 21st. Something tells me that those 2 contests will go a long way in determining who wins the conference's top seed. I'm just glad they are here in Plattsburgh.   Here's the link to the Cardinals' schedule: http://www.gocardinalsports.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball

Once again I won't get to see my Cardinals in action until the month of December. After the 2 opening weekend tournaments we play St. Lawrence over there on December 2nd and finally get a set of home games against conference foes New Paltz and Oneonta on the weekend of December 5th and 6th. Then a 25 day break until we travel to Keene State on 12-31, New Year's Eve. (I wonder who scheduled that game).Finally back home again to face traditional rival Middlebury on January 6th. Once again, as usual, the Cardinals come out on the short end of the stick with only 10 home games of their 25 regular season contests. And 6 of their 7 non conference games are on the road. Not real happy about this year's schedule.

Plattsburgh will be shooting for their 7th NCAA bid in the last 10 years. No other East Region team can make that claim. They are coming off a successful 26-4 record, a Sweet 16 trip and a final ranking in the D3hoops Top 25 poll. The Plattsburgh State coaching staff is hoping for another fine season and even though they lost 3 starters from last year's team,  several starters of 2 years ago who didn't play last season may be back with the team this year. The Cardinals figure to be deep and talented again this year. The success that Coach Tom Curle has experienced ever since his arrival at his alma mater in 2003 has been unparalleled and he will be seeking his 6th 20 win season in the past 9 years. Curle already holds the highest winning percentage of any Plattsburgh State coach and is the second longest serving head coach in the East Region trailing only RIT's Bob McVean in longevity     

The 27th edition of the Cardinal Classic golf tournament was held yesterday afternoon and once again it was a huge success. Foursomes galore turned out to support the Cardinals and a great time was had by all. Weather was superb, golf was so so (at least by my team but we won it last year so it was someone else's turn this year). The food was exceptional as the tournament is co-sponsored by Chartwells , the company that does the food service at  Plattsburgh State and is the finest meal put on by a golf tournament in the region with food and drinks both on the course during play and an outstanding dinner put on after the tournament on the shores of beautiful Lake Champlain.

This is the tournament I should have asked Brockport State Coach Dunne to come up and join in the festivities and be on my team. Next year I will make it a priority if it is good timing for him. If a certain Buffalo State supporter would get his rear in gear and take up this great game of golf I'd get him up here as well. He'll learn in time that there is not to many sports that you're still able to play half way decently at the age of 65 and older as the sport of golf. The sooner he learns that lesson the better off he will be.

Of Special note our congratulations to Bengals Coach Fajri Ansari for having July 25th named "Fajri Ansari Day" by Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown for the over 30 years of service Coach Ansari has provided to the Buffalo Community as an educator and a coach among other outstanding contributions he has made to the Queen city area. It's not often a city the size of Buffalo recognizes someone in a special manner as they have done for Coach Ansari. A well deserved honor indeed. I always look forward to the visit by Coach Ansari and his fine staff whenever they make their yearly visit to Plattsburgh.   

Bengalsrule

Wow.... I'm speechless (but I won't be tomorrow. )

magicman

Quote from: Bengalsrule on August 09, 2014, 01:28:38 AM
Wow.... I'm speechless (but I won't be tomorrow. )

You speechless...that has to be a first!!!! Laryngitis doesn't stop your fingers from working on the keyboard. I better hear the 2 most important words I'm looking for and that would be the names of the other 2 teams in the Coles Classic tournament.

magicman

Cat didn't just get your tongue, he must have ripped it right out.

Point Park and Pine Manor. Wow..... Now the top 2 YAC teams of last year's out of conference schedule will now only have 5 teams that count instead of 7.

And Pine Manor??? I could have called up Joe Cardany, Mike Deane, AnthonyWilliams, Travis Gorham and myself and we would have been a better entry than Pine Manor. And Cardany is in his 50's and Deane and I are in our 60's.   

Pat Coleman

Quote from: magicman on August 16, 2014, 02:22:56 AM

Point Park and Pine Manor. Wow..... Now the top 2 YAC teams of last year's out of conference schedule will now only have 5 teams that count instead of 7.

And Pine Manor??? I could have called up Joe Cardany, Mike Deane, AnthonyWilliams, Travis Gorham and myself and we would have been a better entry than Pine Manor. And Cardany is in his 50's and Deane and I are in our 60's.

Pine Manor will count -- what it will count for, I'm not sure, but they're a D-III program and will count (likely poorly) towards SOS, etc.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

magicman

Quote from: Pat Coleman on August 17, 2014, 03:39:13 PM

Pine Manor will count -- what it will count for, I'm not sure, but they're a D-III program and will count (likely poorly) towards SOS, etc.

Thanks Pat,

I saw this will be their first year with a men's program. Are they in their 1st year of provisional status?

Pat Coleman

No, Pine Manor is a full Division III member and has been for some time now. Provisional status only applies to a school entering Division III for the first time, not new programs fielded by that school.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

amh63

Magicman....I feel for you wrt the Pine Manor game, my friend.  I remember  the school as a junior college for ladies back in the dark ages when I was in school.  Brings back memories of my first college road trip....to Boston and Durgan Park...for the rude waitresses and huge plates of food.  Three freshmen from outside of New England.  On the way back we decided to take a side trip to a "Seven Sister" college...got lost in a snow storm...mild one...and ended up at Pine Minor College instead.  I digress.  Point is that I would rather have your team play Amherst instead of Pine Manor...would help both our schools' SOS.

magicman

Quote from: amh63 on August 20, 2014, 09:07:04 AM
Magicman....I feel for you wrt the Pine Manor game, my friend.  I remember  the school as a junior college for ladies back in the dark ages when I was in school.  Brings back memories of my first college road trip....to Boston and Durgan Park...for the rude waitresses and huge plates of food.  Three freshmen from outside of New England.  On the way back we decided to take a side trip to a "Seven Sister" college...got lost in a snow storm...mild one...and ended up at Pine Minor College instead.  I digress.  Point is that I would rather have your team play Amherst instead of Pine Manor...would help both our schools' SOS.

A nice opportunity for both our schools has gone by the boards. I understand why we joined the Buffalo tournament, as they were left with a problem when several teams backed out of their commitment and our coach was trying to help them out.   I just wish the Amherst game had been announced a little earlier as there was a good chance we would have been playing each other this year and the next one. And as you said it would have been beneficial to both schools SOS. We will still get out annual battle with Middlebury and I expect the Panthers will be an improved team over last year's edition.

At least as Pat pointed out they are D-III which surprised me but as he stated probably won't count for much as they will no doubt be ranked in the high 300's or low 400's. 

I couldn't resist giving you a plus K to make it an even 350.   

Bengalsrule

In your "60's" ???  This is 2014 not 1998!!! ;D

Originally had an empire 8 school scheduled that backed out via voice mail. Ergo Pine manor (which Coach Curle was fine with)! Card victories over Keene State (12/31) and Middlebury (1/6) should take care of any non-conference SOS rankings!

Everyone at Buff State is truly grateful that the Cards are in our tourney. Heck I might be able to convince Cam to come try his hand at the craps table and coach Curle may want to dabble in some poker (24 table poker room) at Seneca Niagara, the night before.  Invite is open. And if you show up too...........? What a weekend!! ;)

jdex

Anyone else take notice of conference and some N-C game starting times for 2014-15? Men to play before women. Evening games underway at 5:30

magicman

Quote from: jdex on September 22, 2014, 11:28:39 AM

Anyone else take notice of conference and some N-C game starting times for 2014-15? Men to play before women. Evening games underway at 5:30

I found out about that around July. I think it will hurt the attendance at the Women's games since many people would go early to catch the 2nd half of the Women's games and then watch the Men's games. I'm not so sure that the crowd will hang around after the Men's game is over. It may also hurt the attendance at the Men's games since it may prohibit a number of fans from getting to the gym for the early tipoff. If you can't get there until 6:30 or 6:45 PM you missed so much of the action that people may just bag it. I think it will hurt attendance for both teams. I understand why they did it but don't think it's a good idea. I believe more people may just stay home and follow the action online.

jdex

Agree.

Think this was tried years ago. One season as we recall. Was shortlived