Pool C -- 2014

Started by wally_wabash, October 14, 2014, 04:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: USee on October 16, 2014, 01:45:03 PM
Well if you want a tangled web how about this: I  found this years North Regional committee:

Erik Raeburn, co-chair Wabash North Coast
Chris Martin, co-chair CCIW CCIW
Patrick Etherton Millikin CCIW
Mike Leonard Franklin Michigan Intercol.
Jack Hatem Denison North Coast
Mark Walsh Aurora Northern Athletics
Mike Leonard Franklin Heartland Collegiate
John Snell Baldwin Wallace OAC

The National Committee Members from the North Region are the first two listed.

So the "Unseen subjective" criteria these guys will use to sort the top three Pool C's for the North Region are up to this unbiased, unaffiliated few.  8-)

1.  I know you know this, but the only way to avoid such a problem would be having all bottom-feeders represented on the committee, or having some randomly chosen people completely unaffiliated with Division III football altogether.

2. I think there's a mistake on that list, which has Mike Leonard listed twice, once as affiliated with the MIAA.  I assume that was supposed to be an MIAA coach?
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

USee

I assume so as well. That is a cut and paste from the "preliminary championship handbook". I know Dean Kreps from Hope used to be on the committee so presumably its someone like that.

And yes of course there are going to be affiliations. Can't be avoided. Just depends on their alliances, kind of like our own little "Game of Thrones".

wally_wabash

Quote from: USee on October 16, 2014, 02:01:30 PM
And yes of course there are going to be affiliations. Can't be avoided. Just depends on their alliances, kind of like our own little "Game of Thrones".

Ha!  I wouldn't mind changing the annual Purple Wedding into a Red Wedding. 

Clarification: That's a very loose literary analogy.  I'm not rooting for the Stagg Bowl to turn into a literal bloodbath after halftime.   :)
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

USee

excellent Wally. Love it.

Here is the link to the "pre-championship handbook" in case anyone is interested

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/PreChamp_DIII_Football_2014-15_Revised.pdf

ADL70

It does show SAA as AQ.

Errata: CWRU and CMU listed as a B not part of PAC.

It's a moot point, but does it make sense for CWRU to be North region when nine of its  ten games are against South teams?
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

hickory_cornhusker

Quote from: ADL70 on October 16, 2014, 07:37:28 PM
It does show SAA as AQ.

Errata: CWRU and CMU listed as a B not part of PAC.

It's a moot point, but does it make sense for CWRU to be North region when nine of its  ten games are against South teams?

It has several mistakes in that section. It lists Cornell still a part of the IIAC (they've been in the MWC for 3(?) years now. Marantha is no longer a member of the NACC, Presentation (they have listed in the UMAC) has left the NCAA altogether. It also has the MASCAC as getting a Pool A.

Pat Coleman

So, we reported that error about the MASCAC to the NCAA a couple weeks ago and we have not heard back from them yet. In our reading of the Division III rules regarding AQs, the MASCAC does not qualify for one in football in 2014.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

wally_wabash

Good grief, that championship manual is a mess, isn't it?  Nebraska Wesleyan?  Seriously.  Remember in Major League when Rachel Phelps hands the list of players she intends to invite to camp to the front office?  That's how I felt reading that list.  "Cross him off then."  

Hopefully this stuff gets cleared up because it's important to the bid breakdown.  If the SAA is getting an AQ and MASCAC is not, the A/B/C breakdown should be 25/2/5, yes? 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

smedindy

Wow. We've always talked about Nebraska Wesleyan when it comes to hoops, if they decide to come play with us or the NAIA. They have the choice. But I've never heard them talked about in football terms, since they don't play ANYONE from the NCAA. Kind of hard to present yourself as a "B" candidate when you are 0-0 in the room. Oh, and Morningside hung 83 on them, but still...

BTW, Morningside's scored 56, 83, 72, 68, and 76 this season. They average 714 yards a game this season. You thought Mt. Union and UMHB rolled up people in their league...

ExTartanPlayer

Other mistakes that I've spotted:

Brockport State, who joined the Empire 8 this season, is still listed in the NJAC.

Southern Virginia (who might not be eligible for the playoffs this season, and won't matter anyway) is not even listed.

The ASC list includes McMurry, Mississippi College, and Texas Lutheran (incidentally, TLU, is listed twice appearing both in the ASC and in the South Region's Pool B teams).

Macalester is listed in the UMAC, but currently playing in the MWC

Thus, compiling all mistakes noted so far in one post (I'll add to this list if needed)

- CWRU and CMU listed as Pool B teams; should be listed in Presidents Athletic Conference (ADL70)
- Cornell mistakenly listed in IIAC; should be listed in MWC (hickory_cornhusker)
- Maranatha mistakenly listed in NACC; should be listed as independent/Pool B (hickory_cornhusker)
- Presentation mistakenly listed in UMAC, no longer plays NCAA football (hickory_cornhusker)
- The SAA and MASCAC are both listed as receiving AQ bids, of which we are uncertain
- Nebraska Wesleyan listed in Pool B, no longer plays NCAA football (wally_wabash)
- Brockport State mistakenly listed in NJAC, should be listed in Empire 8 (ExTartanPlayer)
- Southern Virginia is not listed anywhere, should be listed in NJAC (ExTartanPlayer)
- McMurry listed in ASC, is not playing Division III football this season (ExTartanPlayer)
- Mississippi College listed in ASC, is not playing Division III football this season (ExTartanPlayer)
- Texas Lutheran listed in ASC, should be listed in Pool B only (ExTartanPlayer)
- Macalester listed in UMAC, should be listed in MWC (ExTartanPlayer)

I'll update this list (to keep them all in one place) if anyone wants to send a comprehensive list to the NCAA with all of this.
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

hickory_cornhusker

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 16, 2014, 10:47:13 PM
So, we reported that error about the MASCAC to the NCAA a couple weeks ago and we have not heard back from them yet. In our reading of the Division III rules regarding AQs, the MASCAC does not qualify for one in football in 2014.

Is it possible the MASCAC submitted their paperwork for a Pool A bid before they started playing as a league? When the NACC started they had all of their other sports start play in fall of 2006 while football waited for their schools to finish scheduling commitments so football didn't start until fall of 2008 but started their probationary period in fall of 2006 so the Pool A bid was waiting for them when they started play. The rules from what I remember say you need to be a conference for 2 years as a probationary period. The rules don't say you need to have been sponsoring the sport for 2 years. Maybe the MASCAC started their probationary period before they started conference competition in football.

Pat Coleman

Kinda doesn't matter when they submitted their paperwork if they weren't playing as a league, I don't think. The issue is that the MASCAC has only five of its actual members that play football and has four associate members from the Little East. That's why the waiting period.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The inquiry has been resubmitted... hopefully the NCAA can reply relatively soon.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

hickory_cornhusker

Mark Emmert visited UChicago yesterday when he was in town. I should have asked him when I met him. Maybe he would have known the status of the MASCAC.

Pat Coleman