FB: Middle Atlantic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bman

CJSJAGS

Impressive...2 posts and already with the fuzzy highlights.... ;D

GoDips71

Anybody heading over to check out the F&M v. Moravian scrimmage at Moravian tomorrow?  Looks like it starts at 11a.m. on Friday.  I can't make it, but if anyone checks it out - please give us a report.  You will recall that this is a rematch from last year's ECAC title game.

Billman56

Saw the DVC intrasquad scrimmage last week. Looks like G.A. has added some beef and size the both the "O" and "D" lines.  Both Jacobs and Cook looking like mid season form but then again, it is only an in house scrimmage. They scrimmage Ursinus on Saturday and this will make a more acurate analysis of the team potential.

PBR...

good to hear coach mangus is adding some size i know that was one of his goals this off season. best thing is for all of dvc to stay healthy with playing moravian right out of the gate that will not be an easy game. any incoming freshmen seem to look good? i couldnt make it to the green/gold game

LinerNation

What can a father of a freshmen realistically expect in the first year. Do they have freshmen or Jv type games for these kids. I  realize he's probably not getting any signifcant playing time this year (maybe some special teams experience), but what do they do with these kids if they're not playing varsity ball?

gordonmann

LinerNation:

First, welcome to D3football.com.  We hope you enjoy your son's football experience and make us your primary home for following the Division III landscape.

As to your question, it really depends on the school he is attending.  Many schools have JV programs with active schedules.  Depending on a lot of factors, several freshmen contribute as varsity regulars or even starters as the season progresses.  Again, a lot depends on the school he is attending.

On another note, I saw the Del Val/Ursinus scrimmage today.  Del Val's offense was a little slow at first and kept things pretty basic in terms of what they ran.  The first team unit scored 10 points with Knoblauch at the helm and 7 with the new back-up Hassenauer running things.  The reserves for both schools scored TDs in the second half.

Beyond the "score" (24-7 Del Val), which doesn't mean a whole lot, the Aggies looked alright on offense with Knoblauch getting in a rhythm near the end of the first half. 

Billman's pride-and-joy did a nice job, hitting a 37-yard field goal and going 3-3 on PATs.  And the defense was pretty solid, though it's hard to tell how much was their good play and how much was Ursinus still struggling to find its way.

All in all, a decent showing -- I think last year's scrimmage in Collegeville had a similar "final."

Simba

barroomhero

Linernation,

if your son hasnt told you, the first thing youll notice at a game is size and speed (even at the d3 level, it's different from HS). If they dont have JV games just support him and possibly go to a few games. If he gets red shirted, thats great, he gets another year. He should learn from the older guys. When I was a frosh, there were 2-3 all conference players ahead of me and i faced an All-American OL everyday in practice, all of this only made me a better player. Plus the off-season workouts will make him better as well.

He's starting all over again. Just like when he was  fros. or soph. in high school.
If he plays as a frosh. that will just be an awsome experience.

Pat Coleman

If he gets redshirted it will only be because he got hurt. Non-medical redshirts were eliminated in Division III more than a year ago.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

barroomhero

Pat Coleman

A significant majority of Division III schools didn't think so. :)
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

barroomhero

Yea those are the people who are not possibly competeing against a ton of upper classmen.

Pat Coleman

Right. They're the people who believe in the spirit of Division III and other such stuff you might consider to be nonsense.

barroomhero

Pat,

Ive LIVED the spirit of D3 football and I was greatful I was able to get a non-medical red shirt. I dont see the harm since a lot of students dont completely finish school in four years.

Pat Coleman

The feeling was that it's an advantage for some schools because a fifth year of school at most places is cost-prohibitive, but not everywhere.